No announcement yet.

Trump's Card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't say that I fully understand why, but I've been told by Florida lawyers that mass pardons or commutations "don't work".

Let's see what happens with the governor's race and the ballot initiatives. Eliminating the permanent disenfranchisement of felons has the potential to profoundly change Florida politics.

Comment

Useful summary of criminal justice-related initiatives on the ballot in states across the country.

Comment

FWIW, the weather in the Northeast tomorrow is predicted to be lousy, which could have an impact on marginally motivated voters.

Keep in mind that most states here do not allow the "Early Voting" that you've read about elsewhere.

Comment

This is the lady behind the crime bills of the mid 90's
          She was in charge of the health care bill at the time, so that's not true.

She did support it, but she recanted, as did Bill, not before time.

This doesn't make her an ideal candidate by any means, but it's significantly different from Trump. Beauregard Sessions in 1994 was getting himself elected as Attorney General of Alabama, where he went into bat for discriminatory school funding (and lost).

Comment

Sessions was considered too racist to be a federal court judge in the 1980's. How the fuck do you get to be considered to be too racist in the 80's? Coretta Scott King wrote a letter to congress denouncing him as a vile racist. The problem for black people in america, when it comes to voting, is either vote for whatever disappointing shitehawk the democrats put up or lose that vote. Trump may not have passed any significant legislation to speak of, but his people have been busy tearing everything apart. Things can always get worse. People always forget that things can get much worse.

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post
              She was in charge of the health care bill at the time, so that's not true.
              I think she did interviews at the time trying to claim credit, although everyone was at the time (incuding the uncle toms of the time being paraded around by the media as black leaders)

She did support it, but she recanted, as did Bill, not before time.
              What you mean to say is, "She recanted when she realised that many black and Hispanic people harboured a grudge against her policies and since white women weren't going to vote for her, she had to feign contrition to get the darkies on board.

This doesn't make her an ideal candidate by any means,
              No Sir, this disqualified her as a viable candidate. Something that even in 2018 people like you fail to acknowledge.
              Can you even imagine what kind of a human being people must think you are to prefer Donald Trump?

but it's significantly different from Trump. Beauregard Sessions in 1994 was getting himself elected as Attorney General of Alabama, where he went into bat for discriminatory school funding (and lost).
              Sessions attempted to wreak havok in a single state. The Clintons wreaked Havok in a sizable proportion of the US population Nationwide.

If you ever stopped to consider the proportion of black families that had a son, brother, uncle, father, cousin, friends fall foul of the Clinton's mass incarceration policies of the mid 90's. you might not be continuing this.
              Plus, white women chose to vote race before overies in 2016 (and in the confirmation circus of Sessions) and seem not to have had their voting so harshly criticised.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                Sessions was considered too racist to be a federal court judge in the 1980's.
                Hilary Clinton was a Republican until the early 70's and Vlounteered for Barry Goldwater in 1964

The problem for black people in america, when it comes to voting, is either vote for whatever disappointing shitehawk the democrats put up or lose that vote.
                Finally you get it.
                The choice black people have is White Supremacy Liberal or White Supremacy Conservative, two fangs of the same serpent. And Malcolm X hated the Liberal with the passion of a 1000 Suns.

Trump may not have passed any significant legislation to speak of, but his people have been busy tearing everything apart. Things can always get worse. People always forget that things can get much worse.
                Black people were killed by police under Obama in record numbers so no, things can't get much worse.

Comment

Sessions is the Attorney General of the United States. That's trying to do a bit more than wreak havoc in one state.

I can't read her mind and say why she changed her position, but she did change it. She wasn't a leader in this by any means.

I certainly get that the Crime Bill was shit, and have never defended it. But incarceration varies hugely from state to state (from far too many to absolutely insane), so a federal crime bill can't explain all of it.

https://www.prisonpolicy.org/global/2018.html

I tend to look at homicide rates to get a quick idea of what I'd expect relative levels of incarceration to be, if things were sane.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._homicide_rate

I mean, Oklahoma is no where near the top for homicide rates, but it's top for incarceration. There's a lot of state-level bollocks going on here, in the states you'd most expect.

Comment

Black people were killed by police under Obama in record numbers so no, things can't get much worse.
                    I didn't think anybody had even kept count before, had they?

Comment

Here's the turnout. Not good in 2016, back to about where it was 2004.

Comment

I didn't think anybody had even kept count before, had they?
                        https://thesocietypages.org/toolbox/...ing-of-blacks/

After 30 seconds of googling.
                        Looks like black People are safer under trump...

Comment

Not enough data to go on there, TG. and you probably need to add in all the non police mass killers too

https://twitter.com/BBCNewsnight/status/1059581183439253504

Comment

Originally posted by Tactical Genius View Post
                            https://thesocietypages.org/toolbox/...ing-of-blacks/

After 30 seconds of googling.
                            Looks like black People are safer under trump...
                            2017 and 2018 look like 2016.

Comment

I don't know. They could get a hell of a lot worse. America is essentially collapsing into fascism. Real proper fascism. Things can get a lot worse.

The choice black people have is White Supremacy Liberal or White Supremacy Conservative, two fangs of the same serpent. And Malcolm X hated the Liberal with the passion of a 1000 Suns.

But we were originally talking about Andrew Gillum. It is probably a stretch to describe him thus. Similarly Obama, or Eric Holder. The thing is that if local or state police in some state decide to shoot black people, there's only so much they can do about it on a federal level. The capacity of an elected politician to do anything good in the US is limited, but it seems that the ability to do harm is limitless.

Comment

I've just checked. He's not the governor of California.
                                But even if he were, universal health care didn't make it through the heavily democratic California state assembly. Which is what I was alluding to.

There's Democrats promising these things, and then never delivering on them when they have huge majorities.

Comment

2017 and 2018 look like 2016.
                                  In what way? They are clearly different

Comment

I think the Dave Chapelle sketch the day after the election summed it up well.

Comment

“The capacity of an elected politician to do anything good in the US is limited, but it seems that the ability to do harm is limitless.”

This

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                                        “The capacity of an elected politician to do anything good in the US is limited, but it seems that the ability to do harm is limitless.”

This
                                        Ok so if you are correct. Then why should black people bother voting?

Comment

Originally posted by anton pulisov View Post
                                          In what way? They are clearly different
                                          We all looking at the same graph? The 'black' number has been trending downward from 26 to 24 to 23 to [for a partial year] 20. That number could reasonably end up as 21, which would comfortably fit the trend pattern. Nothing to do with a spectacular change under Trump, at all, that I can see.

Comment

If I might be candid for a second, you're utterly fucking baffling on this thread. Is there no reason to vote other than 'black issues / white issues' which are clearly and indelibly labeled as such? Can you not just be an American who's voting for the direction his country is going; its place in the world; its foreign and trade policy; its future as a nation; the principles of democracy; the treatment of its citizens and the opportunities it helps afford them? Or is truly just down to 'what's in it for my skin colour'?

Comment

Well the shortest answer is Because some white people want to take it away from them. There must be something to it.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                                                We all looking at the same graph? The 'black' number has been trending downward from 26 to 24 to 23 to [for a partial year] 20. That number could reasonably end up as 21, which would comfortably fit the trend pattern. Nothing to do with a spectacular change under Trump, at all, that I can see.
                                                The main growth seems to be in "Other", which I assume means "Brown".

Comment

Yes, but that's not the point that was being responded to. It was that things had gotten better for blacks under Trump. The evidence provided doesn't support that.

Comment

Because the GOP are eroding the ability of black people to have a democratic voice. The Dems eroded their rights through the phoney drugs war but it wasn't a deliberate strategy to weaken the black vote or redraw the boundaries so that the black vote was confined to areas that elected fewer people.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X