X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which is why Kemp is intensifying suppression

Comment

Wow, hope this isn't over confident.

House Majority PAC, the largest outside group backing Democrats, canceled an $800,000 ad buy in Virginia’s 10th Congressional District, represented by Rep. Barbara Comstock (R), in a sign that Democrats are increasingly confident they will flip the seat.

“House Majority PAC cancelled their entire broadcast flight in #VA10, more than 800K, for 10/30-11/5 which brings their total to $354K,” Advertising Analytics, a Virginia-based firm that tracks political media, tweeted Tuesday.

Comment

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcar...k-requirements

Wisconsin on Wednesday became the latest state to get approval from the Trump administration to impose work requirements on Medicaid beneficiaries.

The approval of the state’s Medicaid waiver comes as Wisconsin’s Republican Gov. Scott Walker is facing a tight race for reelection against Democrat Tony Evers, who does not support work requirements.

If elected, Evers could withdraw or change the waiver. Wisconsin did not expand Medicaid, and the approval marks the first time a non-expansion state has been given permission to impose work requirements.
        Scott Walker, what a guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post

That's the petrol tax thing? Would be good if that didn't pass.
          Yep. It's not quite the worst thing on the ballot (that's prop 5, aimed at cutting property taxes even more), but it's the bad one with the highest chance of passing. And it's the one that's on the ballot to basically juice Republican turnout in the congressional races in California.

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post
            Who the fuck is still voting for this guy? Have the people of Wisconsin lost their fucking minds?

Comment

The state of Joe McCarthy?

Comment

No state should be held responsible for what their Irish Americans get up to. We're a complicated people.

Comment

They were not Tail Gunner Joe's key constituency.

Comfortable but scared older white people were.

There still are enough of them in Wisconsin to keep the Ryans and Walkers in business.
                  Last edited by ursus arctos; 01-11-2018, 20:21.

Comment

Montana libertarian Senate candidate Rick Breckenridge, announced Wednesday he’s throwing his support behind the Republican in the race, Matt Rosendale.
                    This could be a nuisance.

Comment

Chris Collins didn't show up to a debate. Another great guy.

Comment

Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker called former President Barack Obama the world’s “biggest liar” Thursday, the Hill reported.

Walker is a Republican in a tight re-election fight, and Obama last week came to Milwaukee to campaign for his opponent Tony Evers as well as incumbent Democratic Sen. Tammy Baldwin.

“I guess if you’re going to lie about health care and pre-existing conditions, you might as well bring in the biggest liar of the world,” Walker said, according to the Hill.

He was referring to Obama’s statement, when he was pushing the Affordable Care Act, “If you like your health care plan, you can keep it.”

Walker said at the event that he wants to put the “exact same language” that’s in the Obamacare law into state law, requiring insurers to cover pre-existing conditions, according to the Associated Press.
                        Exact same language minus exact for the bit about capping the cost eh, Scotty?

Comment

The amount of lying about healthcare that's going on from the Republicans this time round is quite astonishing. They're not even trying to spin their own policies in a positive light. They actually know that their real policies are electoral dogshit, so they are just explicitly telling porkies.

Comment

I keep seeing lots of "The Democrats Might Not Win Back The Senate" stories doing the rounds, as if this is a massive revelation and as if failing to do so would be indicative of some kind of disaster in the Democratic vote.

It's absolute fucking nonsense and makes my blood boil. Of course the Democrats won't win back the Senate. If you listened just after Trump's election, the Republicans were hoping for a filibuster-proof majority after 2018, because they had a 52-48 Senate, with only 8 Republican incumbents defending seats. They were realistically expecting to win at least ND, MT, MO, IN and WV, and only NV and AZ were at risk. So a worst-case scenario for Republicans was going to be 55-45, and then they were playing on Trumpy-Midwest turf in MN, MI, WI, OH and PA.

It will suck for the country that the Democrats don't have the Senate, and it will completely fuck the judiciary. But it won't be a sign of failure from the Democrats. In my mind, it's really only a bad night if they lose 2 seats net - finishing 47-53. If it finishes 49-51 or 50-50, that's really a great night for Senate Democrats even if they haven't actually won control.

Comment

I think they'll lose ND and win one of NV or AZ. Maybe lose MO as well.

49-51 would be very good indeed. It's such a desperately unfair system. Not just the differing populations, but the way that McCain's replacement doesn't have to face an election till 2020.

Comment

Seriously useful spreadsheet of key races, with special focus on referenda

Tubbs will approve of the Medicaid Expansion measures being at the top of the list.

Comment

I do.

Looks like some goodish news from Arizona. Green Party candidate has dropped out and recommended a vote for Sinema.

Comment

How much US politics can you stomach in a day? I am down to 5 minutes (basically Guardian and this thread) then I have to go back to something less enraging. I admire the people who still put several hours in (as I was up to the 2016 election) but I can't join in anymore. It's full-on demagoguery and hate speech from the GOP in the manner of Goebbels' editorials in 'Das Reich'.

At least two more years of this shit. Even if Trump is ousted before then, we get Pence, who was in Georgia today baiting Hollywood HUAC style, despite Hollywood keeping Georgia's economy afloat. My default mode for the midterms is pessimism; I'm not sure how you can risk being hopeful and having it kicked down your throat again.
                                    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 02-11-2018, 02:31.

Comment

The Guardian have launched a new daily podcast called in focus. Today's edition features Gary Younge talking about the midterms in Racine, Wisconsin. To be honest it's profoundly depressing

Comment

Talking of profoundly depressing, 67.5% of white voters in a poll are voting for Brian Kemp in Georgia.

Comment

The boy genius Wohl strikes again.

Comment

That tweet just disappeared.

Comment

Supposedly because the retweets are messing with his twitter client. Anyway, that redacted photo of the supposed victim that Wohl tweeted turns out to be an old one, of his girlfriend. Who is not called Carolyn/Carolyne/Caroline Cass.

Also, that press conference of his was exactly what you'd expect it to be.

Comment

He's going to spend longer in solitary than the man in the Iron Mask isn't he?

Comment

Federal Judge rules against Kemp's voter suppression.

Comment

One down side of all the 'hysteria' about the midterms, and to a lesser extent the various propositions, is we are getting 10-20 survey calls per day.

Add that to 3 postal ads per day, and I will be fairly glad when Wednesday rolls around.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X