No announcement yet.

Trump's Card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sporting, the average Democrat in West Virginia is significantly to the right of the average Republican in New York. There are some Democrats who would identify as progressive, but there aren't very many of them.

Sanders won the primary with fewer than 125,000 votes.

Comment

Can't link but Manchin has tweeted he's Yes

Comment

He's on live now getting drowned out by protestors

Comment

I think this is poor from Manchin, from a purely political point of view. I think it would have been far worse for Kavanaugh's legitimacy if he went through on Pence's vote. But in terms of actual outcomes, we're still guaranteed to end with Kavanaugh on the court; and even if he was shoved out of the way they'd slip Kethledge through in the lame duck session, with the end result the same in terms of judicial outcomes.

Comment

https://twitter.com/Sen_JoeManchin/status/1048300503099170817?s=19

Comment

Sporting, here are state by state views on abortion.

http://www.pewforum.org/religious-la...tion/by/state/

West Virginia has the lowest support for abortion being "legal in all/most cases". 35%.

Comment

SB, what do you mean by "from a purely political point of view"?

To me, this is the most cynically effective move that Manchin could have made as far as his own political future is concerned. I believe that it increases his chances for re-election considerably, and that he never had any intention of running in 2024. He can even claim that his vote didn't change the outcome, as Pence would have broken the tie.

Comment

I mean from a Democratic/liberal perspective, there would be a very strong political case against Kavanaugh's legitimacy if he was the only justice ever to be confirmed by the VP. If the Democrats ever want to campaign against Kavanaugh's future rulings, this would create that extra leverage. I understand from the perspective of personal, local electoral campaigning this is a good move from Manchin.

Comment

Would the VP tie breaker make that much difference? More shit comes out v Kavanaugh and he's a walking embarrassment for the Republicans. Does him getting 1 Democratic vote change that?

Comment

Ah, I can see that, though Manchin has never been one to give two shits about such concerns.

It isn't just justices, no federal judge has ever been confirmed by a tiebreak.

Comment

Kavanother Beer to be confirmed and then drop dead, liver failure.

Comment

https://twitter.com/heykmenz/status/1048301724333748229

https://twitter.com/heykmenz/status/1048301724333748229

May you never enjoy another meal at a restaurant in peace.

Comment

Changing the subject slightly. Amor, what do you make of this?

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1047897885751300096

Comment

Originally posted by Incandenza View Post
                              Those links seems to be dead now.

Comment

Weird. The links work for me, but the tweet no longer displays.

It’s about Collins “feeling bullied” by protestors

Comment

BTW, I had forgotten that Manchin was in fact primaried this cycle.

He won 70-30

Comment

https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1048324453246140418?s=21

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                      Those links seems to be dead now.
                                      Like American democracy.

Comment

Chritstopher Browning historian of the Holocaust whose book “ Ordinary Men” is perhaps the key text on how “ordinary Germans” participated in the extermination of the Jews and Rroma has called McConnell
                                        “The gravedigger of American democracy” in an article in the NYRB

https://twitter.com/jamesfallows/status/1048066542427103232?s=21

Comment

Yep I’m more and more convinced the only way the republicans will be removed from power is through violence. But those cunts have all the guns through state violence and private citizen bastards. So maybes we are just fucked. Not I must stress, am I advocating violent revolution
                                          Last edited by Lang Spoon; 06-10-2018, 01:57.

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post
                                            Changing the subject slightly. Amor, what do you make of this?

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1047897885751300096
                                            Sounds about right. It seems pretty clear now that the goal of Canada/US negotiations — at least from the Canadian side, and maybe the US's too — was to provide His Orangeness with enough words to claim a magnificent victory without changing anything of significance. The dairy farmers' supply management system is still in place, the Canadian auto industry is happy, and the clause forbidding independent trade treaties from non-market economies barely raised an eyebrow in Ottawa. Justin had already been in Beijing earlier this year try work out a bilateral arrangement with no success. He's unlikely to consider another trip until well after next Autumn's election, by which time the game is likely to have changed substantially. He's got much more pressing issues on his plate domestically, what with pipelines and stuff, to worry about what's happening in Washington.

Comment

Spoony, if you are going to keep it up with the Hébertiste rabble rousing, you may want to consider a less searchable venue, lest there be a knock at your door.

Comment

Good point, well made. I’m just really depressed and utterly pessimistic of things getting better through norms I had faith in till like 5 minutes ago.

Comment

We are forming an orderly queue.

Some norms endure.

Comment

The Browning article is very good. Ironically, considering that his key work is "Ordinary Men", its one weakness is the omission of the rank and file who make Trump possible by not voting out his enablers. This will be apparent if the GOP gets a boost from the Kavanaugh affair in the midterms rather than being damaged by it. Although he points out that GOP senators are usually drawn from states with lower populations, that is still tens of millions of people willing to tolerate and even applaud a rapist being nominated the SCOTUS by a racist, misogynistic POTUS who locks up small kids for the crime of their parents being brown.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X