Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not at all necessarily

Comment

Seems very likely. Does deputy AG have to be confirmed?

Comment

Yes

Comment

This is interesting, then.

My assumption was always that Rosenstein would go after Sessions, and with no AG or Deputy AG, then Trump basically gets control of the whole DoJ. As Sessions is still in office, does he get to choose who takes over the Mueller investigation, or does that responsibility go back to Trump?

Comment

There needs to be an acting Deputy AG, who is most likely to be the Solicitor General (who has already been confirmed).

Comment

But does the acting D.A.G. automatically take over Mueller? And does Sessions or Trump appoint/promote the acting D.A.G.?

Comment

An old law school friend has written this explainer.

EDIT: She would insist that I make clear that she isn't as old as I am.

Comment

I presume Sessions's recusal would cover explicitly choosing who takes it over, but it's hard to see how, short of simply not confirming, you could prevent them from picking someone for deputy who would then choose themselves to oversee it as the senior non-recused DoJ official.

Comment

Read Victoria's piece. It isn't as straightforward as that.

I'm also unconvinced that firing Mueller at this point would be in the Administration's best interests.

Comment

Well, there is that. But it's not like Trump is renowned for acting in his or the government's best interests.

Comment

Of course, but I don't think that he has 50 Senators willing to hang on all the way down.

The logistics here have gotten Byzantine. People are leaking all over the place (as always), with roughly half saying that Rosenstein has resigned and the other half saying that he insists on being fired. He has been "summoned to the White House", but 45 is up here (for the UNGA and to raise money), which would mean that someone like Kelly would have to do the deed.

It is one way to divert attention from Kavanaugh.

Comment

He has been "summoned to the White House", but 45 is up here (for the UNGA and to raise money), which would mean that someone like Kelly would have to do the deed.
                          That would, of course, be entirely in character for Trump.

Comment

. https://twitter.com/KFILE/status/1044226468581134337

Comment

He's such a pathetic coward

Comment

https://twitter.com/RonanFarrow/status/1044333161142935553

https://twitter.com/RonanFarrow/stat...33161142935553

Comment

The GOP supporting Kavanaugh ought to cost them the votes of independent women for a generation. Ought to...

Comment

But they should keep the votes of "rapists who don't feel they've done anything wrong, because it's what any red blooded man would do" for just as long.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                                      But they should keep the votes of "rapists who don't feel they've done anything wrong, because it's what any red blooded man would do" for just as long.
                                      Locker room behaviour is the operative word.

Comment

Kavanaugh is trying to defend himself by saying that he was a virgin in high school and "for many years" after high school as well.

https://twitter.com/zarzarbinkss/sta...42953806888961

https://twitter.com/zarzarbinkss/status/1044342953806888961

None of the accusations, of course, say that he had intercourse with the victims, so not sure how this disproves anything...unless there are still even more accusations out there.

The branding push for him after his nomination as a normal guy who was great around teenage girls as a basketball coach and carpool driver are even ickier now.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                          The GOP supporting Kavanaugh ought to cost them the votes of independent women for a generation. Ought to...
                                          Yeah, but I'm still getting over the fact that 42% of Trump voters were women, so I'm not holding my breath.

Comment

None of the accusations, of course, say that he had intercourse with the victims, so not sure how this disproves anything...unless there are still even more accusations out there.

The branding push for him after his nomination as a normal guy who was great around teenage girls as a basketball coach and carpool driver are even ickier now.

When I heard the republicans pushing him on the grounds that he was a carpool dad, and that he was a coach for girls, I was thinking that they should start digging in his back garden and pray that it's only kittens.

Comment

Kavanaugh is answering an accusation by pretending it's a different accusation.

Comment

Evidently 45 is telling people that he was never that fond of Kavanaugh, but was talked into him by the Federalist Society Cabal and the GOP leadership.

Comment

I'd say Trump is easy enough to sway, as long as you understand how his mind works and have access to him.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                                    Evidently 45 is telling people that he was never that fond of Kavanaugh, but was talked into him by the Federalist Society Cabal and the GOP leadership.
                                                    In fairness, that's probably actually true.

As long as "Talked into" means 45 was told that Kavanaugh believed that executive power was infinite and that he'd vote to let the President do literally whatever he wanted.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X