Trump's Card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trump's Card

Billionaire Wilbur Ross for Commerce Secretary.

Never heard of him, but Wikipedia says he does leveraged buyouts and owns a mine in West Virginia where safety regulations where regularly flouted and 13 people died.

Sounds about par for the course for Trump.

Comment

Trump's Card

I have had occasion to meet him.

He's not our kind of people.

Comment

Trump's Card

It's good to see that Trump has decided to smash the elite and break Wall st's control of the economy by appointing a former Goldman sachs partner as treasury secretary. That's change you can believe in.

Comment

Trump's Card

Trump is going to be one of the poorer people in the Cabinet Room

Comment

Trump's Card

Not for long.

I'm curious to see what he has planned for his great "I am giving up control of my companies."

I bet it's a fucking million miles away from a blind trust.

Comment

Trump's Card

He's just going to hand it to his kids; it was the plan all along.

Comment

Trump's Card

surely thats not remotely close to being adequate

Comment

Trump's Card

He has no interest in being adequate

This is just theatre, like everything else he does

Comment

Trump's Card

I hope Wilbur Ross can keep doing his day job while in office. In Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Iowa.

Comment

Trump's Card

So, it's Todd Ricketts rather than Wilbur Ross for Commerce.

I wonder if Wilbur didn't fancy the financial disclosures or Senate hearings.

Comment

Trump's Card

When people talk about a blind trust, do they mean selling absolutely everything and putting the proceeds in a blind trust? i.e. Trump tower

Comment

Trump's Card

That's what a real blind trust is.

You sell all of the assets, and put the proceeds into a trust managed by an unaffiliated person. You have no idea what he/she does with the proceeds of the sale.

There was never any chance that he would actually agree to do that.

Comment

Trump's Card

So why wasn't it used to stop him from running?

Comment

Trump's Card

Faust, Season Three

Comment

Trump's Card

Because the President is formally exempt from the Conflict of Interest rules that apply to other senior government officials.

Comment

Trump's Card

The Awesome Berbaslug!!! wrote: So why wasn't it used to stop him from running?
                                  Because the kind of people who voted for Trump couldn't give a flying fuck about corruption, provided their policy preferences (whatever they were, whether it's ending Roe v Wade, or kicking dark-hued foreigns, or cutting taxes for billionaires) were going to happen

Comment

Trump's Card

There's definitely something about emoulements, or something along those lines though isn't there? That trumpand his family have building projects in so many countries that could benefit from local govt help makes him particularly open to foreign influence. (Hello Argentina)

Comment

Trump's Card

Well, Cheney used federal funds and American lives to blow up Iraq and then awarded the federal rebuilding contracts directly to Halliburton, without any bidding process.

A few buildings in Argentina is small potatoes.

Comment

Trump's Card

A small potato fired with sufficient force could be very painful.

Anyway what cheney did was for an american company within america. That's totally legit. It's the being bribed by foreign powers bit that applies to the president.

Comment

Trump's Card

San Bernardhinault wrote:
                                          Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!
                                          Because the kind of people who voted for Trump couldn't give a flying fuck about corruption, provided their policy preferences (whatever they were, whether it's ending Roe v Wade, or kicking dark-hued foreigns, or cutting taxes for billionaires) were going to happen
                                          But they claim otherwise. "Hillary is a crook*" and all that.

*To be fair, she probably is, but the things she's been accused of - aside from maybe the very flimsy murder charges - aren't in the league with the shit that Trump as already admitted to.

Comment

Trump's Card

Jimmy Dore going off on one against Obama. Somewhat cathartic, even if it is non-constructive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5K7UmYkD1I

Comment

Trump's Card

This piece from one of our leading Supreme Court litigators is the best thing I've read on the Emoluments Clause issue.

Comment

Trump's Card

Overall, then, it appears that, so far as the Constitution is concerned, the American people must rely upon Congress – no matter which party controls the House and Senate – to monitor the relationship between a president and a family business.

It's shit like this that makes me ready to give up on this country.

That's not America. That's not even Mexico.

BTW, expect a surge in intramural teams of law school students called The Fightin' Emoluments. (Law school IM teams are the second worst teams to have to play in IM sports. Always bitching at the ref and trying to cheat. But MBA teams are the worst because they usually have ringers and they're usually assholes. I digress...)

Comment

Trump's Card

One of several reasons why it was so satisfying to beat the HLS and HBS crews with our intramural eight.

Comment

Trump's Card

Hot Pepsi wrote:
                                                    Originally posted by San Bernardhinault
                                                    Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!
                                                    But they claim otherwise. "Hillary is a crook*" and all that.

*To be fair, she probably is, but the things she's been accused of - aside from maybe the very flimsy murder charges - aren't in the league with the shit that Trump as already admitted to.
                                                    Hillary wasn't going to let their political priorities pass, therefore her corruption is important.

It's not that they don't care about corruption, it's that they don't care about it provided they get the stuff they want.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X