No announcement yet.

Trump's Card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They have no sanction to threaten him with.

Comment

Taking away his toys will sometimes work with a toddler. Jack Dorsey might be able to manage that but there's zero chance anyone else can.

Comment

There's nothing they know about him he wants to keep secret?

Comment

It's fun that you think the Republicans would do anything that might add to the risk of not being in power.

Comment

It's sort of outside his control. Secrets keep spilling out little by little whether he tweets or rages or fumes...or he doesn't. He can only go along for the ride.

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
              It's fun that you think the Republicans would do anything that might add to the risk of not being in power.
              I probably haven't explained it very well, but it's them staying in power I'm thinking of. A pardon for some bloke lots of people haven't heard for a charge that's "hard to pardon" is a risk, as I see it.

We haven't talked about carrot either. Can't they pass something that'll make Trump money before the elections?

Comment

He has already pardoned Arpaio and it made no difference. I struggle to think a pardon for Manafort will make the slightest difference on Republican voting.

Comment

Arpaio was contempt of court. Bit different to conspiracy to defraud the United States.

Comment

I appreciate your persistence in trying to apply logic to the current American Political environment.

Comment

His brain-dead knuckle dragging 'base' will see this as more evidence of fake news, a witch-hunt, and whatever else he tells them.

Meanwhile, things are slowing down worryingly in Elkhart.

Comment

A couple of under-the-radarish things that are getting hidden by the Manafort news

(1) I'm more disappointed by Zephyr Teachout's failure in the NY primary than I am by Cynthia Nixon's. Everything I've heard about Teachout has been good. I don't know whether the woman who won is any good, but Teachout definitely seemed like a very good fit for the job.

(2) Is this Kavanaugh-sex-assault thing going to have any impact at all, or will it be like Clarence Thomas where everyone slowly becomes totally fine with someone with that record on the Supreme Court? Also, why the hell was Feinstein trying to keep this under wraps?

Comment

1) Tish James has been decent as the city’s Public Advocate (a kind of Ombudsperson). I think Teachout would have been better, but James will be fine. Nixon never had a chance, but it is disappointing to see that Cuomo appears to have learned nothing from her challenge. There were a number of encouraging State Senate results, so we have that going for us.

2) I assume that Kavanaugh will be confirmed anyway and have the same question about Feinstein. I don’t really understand the Democratic leadership’s strategy on judicial nominations at the moment. I am beginning to think that the possibility of impeachment proceedings against Kavanaugh once all of the Bush Administration documents are released (in 2019 and 2020) is not as far out as I thought last week, especially if Farrow is able to find another victim who is willing to talk.

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post
                            Arpaio was contempt of court. Bit different to conspiracy to defraud the United States.
                            Seriously Tubbs, have you been awake these last two years?

Comment

By the way, if the figure danielmak brought up yesterday is accurate, the Manafort forfeitures put the Government up by about USD 35 million with regard to the investigation to date.

Comment

Love the defense of "Here's a list of 65 women who went to high school with me who said I never tried to rape them!" They had to have known this was going to come out, I doubt he was able to track down that many of his old classmates just in recent days.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                  Seriously Tubbs, have you been awake these last two years?
                                  Mueller's approval rating looks solid, maybe rising a bit, despite the work put in on discrediting him. I don't think this is easily waved away with pardons. Why not just let Manafort go?

Comment

Inca, Kavanaugh went to an all male high school

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                      2) I assume that Kavanaugh will be confirmed anyway and have the same question about Feinstein. I don’t really understand the Democratic leadership’s strategy on judicial nominations at the moment. I am beginning to think that the possibility of impeachment proceedings against Kavanaugh once all of the Bush Administration documents are released (in 2019 and 2020) is not as far out as I thought last week, especially if Farrow is able to find another victim who is willing to talk.
                                      If Kavanaugh is rejected now, Trump just replaces him with another hardliner. If he's impeached after the midterms, and the Dems have more leverage than now (plus the Red State Dems are no longer worrying about re-election), the Dems could frustrate his successor's appointment (Garland payback).

Comment

If the Democrats don’t control the Senate (which they almost certainly will not), they will have no more leverage over judicial nominations than they do now.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                          Inca, Kavanaugh went to an all male high school
                                          how did he know 65 girls so? Also this defence is not good. There could have been 66 girls in his age group.

Comment

The answer is one that you will be familiar with.

He went to a Catholic school in a posh DC suburb. The 65 signatories appear to have attended all girls Catholic schools in his and similar suburbs around the same time. I would be shocked if they all “knew” him back in the day, though they likely “knew of him” (either then or since).

Comment

I wonder where the extraneous U in his name came from. my money is on ellis Island.

Comment

Don't discount the possible influence of aspirational relatives (like the aunt who Germanicised my father's family surname)

Comment

Just going back to the New York primary for a moment, Nixon got more votes yesterday than Cuomo did when he won in 2014.

Comment

But it's going to be almost impossible to prove one way or the other, isn't it, especially if there were no other witnesses?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X