No announcement yet.

Trump's Card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you're so inclined, there's a great story involving that Ike Perlmutter mentioned above in ursus's post. He's a secretive billionaire who's having a bizarre feud with a Canadian billionaire revolving around a female tennis coach in their uber-exclusive condo estate. It's too weird. Just read it.

https://www.macleans.ca/intrigue-at-sloans-curve/

Comment

Tubbs, I can only take from that post that you know virtually nothing about Columbus or the rest of the district

Comment

WOM, those are 45’s people.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
          Tubbs, I can only take from that post that you know virtually nothing about Columbus or the rest of the district
          No more than I gleaned with google. Sounded reasonably inoffensive, with the state government, some big private sector employers and a university, and I noted it had a reasonably large non-white population compared with the rest of the district. Was that what he was getting at?

Comment

Compared to the rest of the highly gerrymandered district, Columbus is remarkably metropolitan

The university has 60,000 students and 30,000 staff, the city has 900,000 people, the headquarters of a number of Fortune 500 companies and a major league sports franchise. That is a completely different world from the rest of the district.

There’s a reason why the GOP used to win it by 30-40 points.

Comment

That's the sort of stuff I was thinking of, though I didn't know about the sports team. It's pretty striking to me that you can rouse rabble with the idea this is bad. Don't people from the rest of the district commute to work in Columbus, have relatives who live there, go there to watch sport?
              Last edited by Tubby Isaacs; 08-08-2018, 16:12.

Comment

1) Many of them actually don't do any of that. I don't think you fully appreciate how insular rural and suburban USians can be.

2) The vast majority of people who live on Staten Island do all of that with respect to Manhattan and yet most of them view "the City" with massive disdain, which is a primary reason why 45 won that borough easily. People live in such places for a reason.

Comment

The details of that Collins insider trading case are quite something.

He also massively violated his fiduciary duty as a member of the company's board.

Comment

We've got bits of Greater London where that sort of thing happens. The Tories got about 60% in the Romford and Hornchurch/Upmister constituencies amid the 2017 debacle.

Comment

The results from OH-12 were kind of fascinating for such a non-entity of an election.

First, that the Democrats could come within 1% despite the Republicans throwing literally everything they had at the candidate (both Kasich and Trump were stumping for him) and having a decent candidate, should worry Republicans generally.

Secondly, the district appeared to get even more Trumpy: the vote got even more anti-Trump in vaguely urban areas, and even more pro-Trump in rural ones. I don't know what that means for November, but that might be good for Republicans - it might just increase Democratic votes in already gerrymandered urban districts while leaving semi-rural ones alone.

Comment

It’s the relatively well-off suburbs and exurbs that will be the real battlegrounds for the midterms.

Though it is also quite likely that the popular vote to seat ratio will be even more distorted than usual. Though one thing that will mitigate that is the number of deep blue seats that are not being contested yet the GOP (including Ms. Tlaib’s).

Comment

And generally crosses political, class and racial lines, notwithstanding Jim Jordan's recent efforts to the contrary.

Comment

Kris Kobach, as secretary of state in Kansas, is overseeing his own election recount. Won't recuse himself because "The recount thing is done on a county level, so the secretary of state does not actually participate directly in the recount"

Comment

He also determines how much it will cost his challenger.

What a country.

Comment

Nunes is such a putz.

In response to a question from the audience about deputy attorney general Rod Rosenstein, Rodgers interjects and says that there is a plan in place from the Republicans to impeach Rosenstein.

“It’s a bit complicated, right?” Nunses is heard saying. “I say that because you have to we only have so many months left, right. So if we actually vote to impeach, okay, what that does is that triggers the Senate then has to take it up. Well, and you have to decide what you want right now because the Senate only has so much time. Do you want it to drop everything and not confirm the Supreme Court justice, the new Supreme Court justice?”

He goes on to say Rosenstein deserves to be impeached.

“I don’t think you will get any argument from most of our colleagues. The question is the timing of it right before the election,” he continued.

. . .

The final segment Maddow pulled from the tape was about how Nunes views his role in Congress and keeping the majority in Congress.

“So therein lies, so it’s like your classic catch-22 situation, where we were at a — this puts us in such a tough spot,” Nunes says. “If [Jeff] Sessions won’t unrecuse, Mueller won’t clear the president, we’re the only ones, which is really the danger. That’s why I keep — thank you for saying that, by the way — we have to keep all these, we have to keep the majority. We do not keep the majority, all of this goes away.”
                                Last edited by ursus arctos; 09-08-2018, 02:39.

Comment

Have I understood correctly : The US has legalised asbestos in construction. The only company in the world that still produces construction grade asbestos (in any volume) is Russian. Its owner is a friend of Putin. He (the owner) has stuck pictures of Trump on all the packaging. That about cover it?

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                    Have I understood correctly : The US has legalised asbestos in construction. The only company in the world that still produces construction grade asbestos (in any volume) is Russian. Its owner is a friend of Putin. He (the owner) has stuck pictures of Trump on all the packaging. That about cover it?
                                    As stolen from elsewhere, Trump has had a bee in his bonnet about asbestos for at least twenty years now:

Trump, 1997:

I believe that the movement against asbestos was led by the mob, because it was often mob-related companies that would do the asbestos removal. Great pressure was put on politicians, and as usual, the politicians relented. Millions of truckloads of this incredible fire-proofing material were taken to special "dump sites" and asbestos was replaced by materials that were supposedly safe but couldn't hold a candle to asbestos in limiting the ravages of fire.
                                    Trump in 2005, for some reason testifying to the Senate homeland security committee:

In New York City, we have a lot of asbestos buildings. And there’s a whole debate about asbestos. I mean, a lot of people would say that if the World Trade Center had asbestos, it wouldn’t have burned down. It wouldn’t have melted, okay? A lot of people think asbestos— a lot of people in my industry think asbestos is the greatest fireproofing material ever made. And I can tell you that I’ve seen tested asbestos versus the new material that’s being used, and it’s not even a contest. It’s like a heavyweight champion against a lightweight from high school. But in your great wisdom, you folks have said that asbestos is a dangerous material and it has to be removed.
                                    Trump in 2012:

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/258655569458651136

This is the kind of mad emperor shit I love to see. He's been going at this for DECADES. This peabrained, petty, venal old man who can't let go of someone telling him to take the asbestos out of his properties like 30 or 40 years ago, is using the power of the US Presidency to get even. Assisted by the ghouls running his government, he soothes an ego wounded by NYC building codes in the fucking 80s, and in the process condemns thousands to death by cancer.
                                    I guess it is part of being a piece of shit landlord, more than any supposed Russian connection.

Comment

Our brave new post-Brexit trade deal with the US just looks better and better, doesn't it?

Comment

It's no more dangerous than talcum powder.

Comment

https://twitter.com/SteveSebelius/st...47576873607168

Comment

Hiding in plain sight

https://twitter.com/Sellerian/status/1027520548786659328

Comment

And this of course

https://twitter.com/ndrew_lawrence/status/1027380439420420101

It's Darkness in America

Comment

Should just see if Palitoy/Action Man will let them use their old Space Force logo.

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
                                                  And this of course

https://twitter.com/ndrew_lawrence/status/1027380439420420101

It's Darkness in America
                                                  And the video behind her shows someone picking crops for shit pay, which is the real reason why the numbers were as they were.

Comment

So it's the legal immigrants now as well....

Comment

Working...
                                                    X