Shops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shops

There are some chains that seem to really push the boundaries of overpricing.

Ive grown to seriously hate WHSmith. When I was little it was a bookshop. Now it sells a selection of overpriced crap. Fags, chocs, water at service stations.

Budgens - I hate them as well.

How come corner shops can sell stuff cheaper than these bastards.

Shops

WH Smith's prices for drinks are truly remarkable. Easily twice the price of anywhere else. I think we've discussed them here before.

Comment

Shops

And that's before we start on old William Henry's pricing policy in the hospital concessions.

Comment

Shops

WH Smith's can fuck off, ever since they refused to stock Gay Times. They may have since changed this policy, but they remain on the 'fuck off' list.

Comment

Shops

Aren't they just screwing over their station/hospital customers who are a captive audience and keeping the same prices for the high street outlets in a shoddy attempt to cover their tracks?

I bought an Italian cassette edition of Unknown Pleasures there in 1983 so them charging £1.65 for a half litre of water is essentially dancing on Ian's grave.

Comment

Shops

I only really like Aldi.

Comment

Shops

Ginger Yellow wrote: WH Smith's prices for drinks are truly remarkable. Easily twice the price of anywhere else. I think we've discussed them here before.
              £1.69 for a bottle of pop when there's at least half a dozen shops within 100 yards selling them for 50p or less.

Mind you, printer ink is where they really take the piss.
              I can refill mine with official cartridges in Asda for £20.
              WH Smith? £100! That's four times what the printer cost!

Comment

Shops

You can't buy a bottle of (branded) pop for 50p!

Comment

Shops

In Wrexham you can.

Comment

Shops

How big a bottle?

Comment

Shops

More of a phial, I reckon.

Comment

Shops

Panda cola is branded.

Comment

Shops

EIM wrote: You can't buy a bottle of (branded) pop for 50p!
                          My alcohol replacement has been cherry Pepsi max, which is 49p from B&M bargains.

My liver is better, but my blood sugar level is akin to kendal mint cake.

Comment

Shops

sw2bureau wrote: How big a bottle?
                            500ml (although I have bought 1.75l bottles of Cherry Coke from QD for 50p recently and it wasn't that long ago that Savers had 1l bottles of Lucozade Cola for 19p!).

Which is the size WH Smith charges £1.69 for.
                            RRP depending on labelling and brand is usually between 79p and £1.

Comment

Shops

My alcohol replacement has been cherry Pepsi max, which is 49p from B&M bargains.

My liver is better, but my blood sugar level is akin to kendal mint cake.
                              You know Pepsi Max is sugar free, right?

Comment

Shops

I am surprised they can shift Lucozade Cola at 19p.

Comment

Shops

caja-dglh wrote: I am surprised they can shift Lucozade Cola at 19p.
                                  I think they got it ridiculously cheap because the supermarkets couldn't shift it, what with it being shit.

Comment

Shops

Anyone ever temped to buy a bottle of that Malta stuff that Caribbean people drink? Hoo-boy...is that a taste you don't soon forget.

Comment

Shops

Can I use this thread to profess my love for Wilko?

I love Wilko.

Comment

Shops

This article gives a good account of just how dreadful WHSmith has become (generally and in particular ethically), and why.

http://www.managementtoday.co.uk/dismal-decline-whsmith/article/1369095

Comment

Shops

WH Smith can fuck off because the London Bridge one stocked Sports Illustrated for about a month (at the surprisingly reasonable price of £2.95) and then stopped.

Comment

Shops

The twitter account linked to from the article EEG gave is rather good:

https://twitter.com/WHS_Carpet

I was wondering if something similar existed for Little Chef (not a shop, granted). All I found was their official twitter feed:

https://twitter.com/littlechefcouk

Now, please humour me, but have a look at who Little Chef are following.

Comment

Shops

Kevchenko wrote: Now, please humour me, but have a look at who Little Chef are following.
                                              Could you give us a few names for those of us who don't tweet?

Comment

Shops

There's a large number of webcam strippers.

Comment

Shops

My guess would be that they started with a policy of following back everyone who follows them, and stopped doing when someone pointed out that's a stupid way to run a Twitter account, but that no-one thought to unfollow the accounts they'd already followed.

The best example of a public Twitter account not realising that that sort of thing is publicly viewable was Nigel Martyn, who for some time after he signed up only had one tweet in his Favourites - a photo of a buxom young lady who it appeared was, erm, having quite a good time when the picture was taken. He's long since realised and removed it from his Favourites, though.

3 Colours Red wrote:
                                                  Originally posted by caja-dglh
                                                  I am surprised they can shift Lucozade Cola at 19p.
                                                  I think they got it ridiculously cheap because the supermarkets couldn't shift it, what with it being shit.
                                                  I think he meant he's surprised they can sell it even at that price.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X