Those high-density foam mattresses....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

....specifically the ones you order online, without testing, and which come in a box all rolled up.

(Endy, Casper, Novosbed, Eve, etc...)

Do you have one? Do you like it? What brand? Do you recommend it?

I believe that Femme Folle had one.

Comment

I think she got a Casper.

Comment

Generally people seem happy with them (Tuft and Needle is another one). I can't help but imagine half of their pleasure is not having to deal with the shysters in a mattress store.

Comment

I don't understand how mattress stores can stay in business. They are large retail spaces, obviously since they need to have mattresses out on the floor. But that also means a lot of square footage that they are paying for in rent. And I can't imagine that there are large numbers of people coming in every day to buy a mattress. How often do you buy a new mattress? It's not a regular expense. So they must have days where they only have one or two sales.

I know the markup on mattresses must be enormous, but it just seems like it shouldn't work out. But with so many stores around, I guess they must be doing well.

Comment

It is a common question, Inca

Comment

Yup, the salespeople are massively dependent on commissions, which is one of the reasons why the places are such hellholes.

Comment

It's also a bit* of a racket. CBC Marketplace did a thing a few years ago about how it's virtually impossible to comparison shop from one retailer to the next. Apparently the big mattress makers change all the names/models/patterns from store to store so side-by-side comparisons are meaningless.

*...yeah.

Comment

We bought a Tempurpedic (sic) about four months ago. It's brilliant — but compared to the fifteen year-old Ikea model we'd been sleeping on, so was a bag of popcorn. The two obvious advantages of a store are that you get a month long trial, and they take your old mattress away.

Comment

The ones I'm hoping to 'sell' Mrs WOM on have a 120-day trial period. If you don't like it, they come pick it up and you get your money back.

Comment

Interesting, thanks.

Comment

We've had a Tempurpedic for 15+ years, and ursus minor has had one for essentially his whole life.

They have done yeoman service in three countries, but are starting to show its age.

WOM, I've heard complaints that returns with some companies aren't as easy as the marketing makes out, so it's worth looking around for same on-line.

Comment

These guys (Casper, Leesa) advertise like crazy on podcasts, and they all seem to offer to take back the mattress if you don't like them.

When I was mattress shopping a few years back, everyone said that the memory foam ones tend to get hot, which is a big no-no for me.

Comment

My current mattress would be very near the top of the list of 'your purchases with the highest long-term satisfaction'. But it's pocket-sprung rather than a foam one, so I'm kind of on the wrong thread here.

Comment

WOM wrote: The ones I'm hoping to 'sell' Mrs WOM on have a 120-day trial period. If you don't like it, they come pick it up and you get your money back.
                              We tried three at home before we found one that satisfied La Signora (the words "Princess" and "Pea" spring to mind.) Attempting that on-line would have been a pain.

When I was mattress shopping a few years back, everyone said that the memory foam ones tend to get hot, which is a big no-no for me.

The pillows certainly do. I couldn't be doing with them at all.

Comment

These guys (Casper, Leesa) advertise like crazy on podcasts, and they all seem to offer to take back the mattress if you don't like them.
                                The uniformity of podcast advertisers is striking.

One would think that anyone who thought of buying stuff from Casper or Blue Apron, subscribing to Audible, or using Square Space would have done so by now.

Comment

The uniformity of podcast advertisers is striking.
                                  Well a lot of it goes through the same middlemen (ie Midroll Media) or podcast networks, so it's not too surprising.

Comment

We replaced our orthopaedic Warren Evans mattress as after 5 years I couldn't sleep on it without knackering my back.
                                    We didn't flip it enough I guess. (Although you try flipping a 12 inch thick 3000 pocket spring superking mattress on your own.)
                                    We got an Eve mattress which is essentially the same as a Caspar. (Although Caspar have just started selling here.)
                                    After a week my back pain was essentially gone. I got one of their pillows too and the neck pain disappeared within another week.
                                    I couldn't go for a tempur mattress though. Or any memory foam. Feels like sleeping in an egg box. And they're so hot. Whereas these ones have a latex top layer so you don't overheat and they rebound instantly. I roll about a lot in my sleep.

Comment

Tempur mattresses are, in the main, not memory foam (though they don't tell you exactly what they are as the layers have proprietary names.) There's also no problem with overheating as the top layer has a wick covering. We find it brilliant, just fucking expensive.

Comment

I realize I have no idea what kind of mattress we have.

Comment

Late to the thread, but...

I had a couple of Ikea ones, some time ago - quite expensive, too. They were great at first, but after a couple of years they compressed to be as flat as a biscuit and were shite! I had to put an inflatable camping mattress under it/them, in the end, just to make it still useable. I was glad to get rid of it/them, in the end.

Comment

To be fair, Clive, there's nothing "long term" about anything from IKEA. Especially the meatballs. God, I love their meatballs.

Anyway. Some of the newer ones are supposed to be amazing, but come with associated hefty price tag. Hence I'll stick to* my Sealy Orthopaedic number. Very firm but very comfortable.

*Not literally, other than birthdays and special occasions

Comment

I got an eve foam mattress on the Internet. 100 day trial and if you don't like it send it back. £550 it's really comfortable, best mattress I've ever had.

If you get one based on this recommendation let me know as I can get £50.

Comment

We stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last year, and I swear to God if I could have gotten that fucking mattress out the door without being noticed, I'd have done. It was the greatest thing I'd ever slept on. Hell knows I didn't check to see the make and model.

Thanks for all the replies and guidance, everyone.

Comment

I haven't a clue who made my mattress. I should look into it.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X