The American Clown Panic of 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have any of the American posters been affected by the hordes of clowns roaming our country and trying to lure children into the woods?

We don't get campaign advertising in New York

Comment

Zing!

For those not familiar with the stories: http://people.com/article/creepy-clown-sightings-2016-whats-happening-explainer/

There is a guy in my area that dresses as a clown and waits for the bus at one particular bus stop. I've seen him a handful of times on Saturdays and Sundays, going on for years now. I don't think he's hired as a clown for parties, because he looks very kid-unfriendly, like he's purposefully trying to look a little menacing. He might be riding the bus down to the pier or the downtown Santa Monica, I don't know. Anyway, one night I saw him walking back from the bus stop as I was driving home. He was walking down the sidewalk...my reaction was to wonder what I would have done if I had been walking towards him and spotted him coming towards me.

Comment

The CBC (radio) did a big thing on the phenomenon maybe two weeks ago. A psychologist was on and said that 'mass panics' of this sort happen around times of social uncertainty, and he laid out how and when they'd happened in the past.

He was virtually positive it was election-related this time around. He also said it almost always involves threats about people harming or stealing the innocence of children.

Comment

Here we go...moral panic.

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/the180/rethinking-jail-time-for-sex-assault-the-upside-of-opioids-and-a-defence-of-political-correctness-1.3744394/beware-the-clowns-a-lesson-in-moral-panic-1.3744921

Comment

There was a book that came out recently about the Satanic panic of the 1980s from a small publishing house. I need to track that down. I've probably mentioned my story about the teens wearing heavy metal t-shirts in front of my grandparents' house before. I know Renart knows it from Twitter.

Comment

http://www.centredaily.com/news/local/article105808156.html

Comment

Fuck Renart. Tell it.

Comment

Christ, HP, I've half a mind to clown-up and go stand down in the bushes near the bus stop at the corner. That'd chew through an evening.

Mind you, the Jays are on shortly.

Comment

Evangelical Christians are still worked up about Dungeons & Dragons.

Comment

Okay, this was around when I was 4 or 5 years old, so 1983 or 1984. I was at my grandparents' house, which was on a corner not too far away from a street with small shops and restaurants, and near a city college, so there was a fair amount of foot traffic in the neighborhood. Anyway, this day that I happened to be there, there were two teens/young adults hanging out on the corner. One was wearing an AC/DC shirt, I can't remember what the other one was wearing, but they had long hair. This was right in the time of fear of heavy metal was a legitimate thing. People said that AC/DC stood for "Anti-Christ/Devil Children" with a straight face. My grandparents spotted them and started freaking out. There was serious talk if they should call 9-1-1 because they might do something. They told me to go into a different room, where I wasn't near the window. The kids eventually moved along and that was the end of that.

Comment

That's ridiculous.

Everyone knows it stands for After Christ/Devil Comes.

Comment

We're just lucky he's here to tell the story.

Comment

That, and the time our neighbor came over to flash a gun to say she would protect the neighborhood in case the Night Stalker came by were the most interesting things I can remember happening when I was a kid.

Comment

What you guys need is Psychoville's Mr Jelly.

I guess that hasn't been shown in the States, unless BBC America has broadcast it. It might get Reece Shearsmith arrested (or lynched) by the sounds of things, so it's probably best if it isn't easy to find.

Comment

This is going to hit peak when the remake of "It" comes out.

Comment

Bruno wrote: KISS stands for Knights in Satan's Service.
                                  Kid's in Satan's Service.

And they're terrible. The worst.

Comment

Now the Geordie Clown Panic...

Comment

Comment

A few years ago, I accidentally set fire to my cooker when falling asleep while cooking a pizza. As the fire brigade kicked my door in while trying to put it out (I was quite drunk at the time, and didn't hear them) my front door was bolted shut for a few weeks afterwards, until I could get a replacement.

During this period, I ordered a takeaway pizza (I had to, as my oven didn't work any more, for some reason), then realised that if they knocked on the door (the doorbell didn't work, but that bit wasn't my fault) it would take me a good ninety seconds to go out of the back door and get round to the front, by which time the delivery bloke would have left.

So, I went out early ton anticipate the delivery driver, but being unfit and lazy, got bored of standing by my front door, and instead crouched down to save energy. It was nearly raining, so I had my hood up, and I hadn't realised it was Halloween.

Next thing I knew, two four year olds were ringing my non-existent doorbell, I croaked "you what?" from about a foot away from their ankles, they wet themselves shrieking and their Dad thumped me for being a weirdo-pervert-weirdo.

I wasn't dressed as a clown, so I belatedly recognise that it has no real relevance to this thread, but I've typed it all now.

Comment

Working...
                                        X