Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The new Brexit passport

What should we illustrate it with?

Winston Churchill gassing the Marsh Arabs?

Emily Davison dying under the king's horse?

The Met gunning down Jean Charles de Menezes at Stockwell tube?

Del Boy falling through the bar?

The new Brexit passport

Boris Johnson dangling from a wire.

Preferably around his neck.

Comment

The new Brexit passport

I was wondering what's going to happen to folk who have to renew their passport between now and whenever the actual leaving date is (a group I won't myself fall into if May's thing yesterday about activating Article 50 in March next year is true). Will people be expected to pay for a new passport now and then fork out for a whole other new one when the UK leaves, or will they honour already-held passports or what?

Actually now I think of it the answer to that question might affect whether I'm able to head back for a visit post-exit since my current one with 'European Union' written on it doesn't expire until 2020.

Comment

The new Brexit passport

I have to renew my passport this year, and I'm wondering the same thing.

Comment

The new Brexit passport

A pot of innovative jam. And a plate of scones, for the Jocks.

Comment

The new Brexit passport

As for illustrations, I think a watermark of that football fan who had 'BRITIAN' tattooed on his stomach would work nicely.

Comment

The new Brexit passport

Pfff, enough with such pettifogging indignities. I fully expect that my word as an Englishman will be guarantee enough to cross any border.

Passport changeover will have to be on a rolling basis as they expire, won't it? With an option to relieve the loons of a few quid if they really think that it's worth getting one early. The Passport Office struggles to meet demand at popular times of year as it is.

Comment

The new Brexit passport

One hopes so.

How will the new ones be labelled, I wonder? Once Article 50 is activated but before the two years are up, I mean. When they're issued they'll still be European Union passports, so will they have European Union written on them?

It's important questions like this that should have been asked before the referendum, admittedly.

Comment

The new Brexit passport

Sam wrote:

It's important questions like this that should have been asked before the referendum, admittedly.
                  Some of us did ask but it was kind of drowned out by the immigrant baiting.

Comment

The new Brexit passport

Maybe I'm being dumb, but isn't the answer that, subject to any post-exit agreements on freedom of movement (ha!), all extant passports will be British EU passports up until the moment of exit, and British non-EU passports thereafter. What they look like is just cosmetic.

Comment

The new Brexit passport

That's obviously correct, but the cosmetics seem to matter to a number of people.

As to the timing, if the Torres really are committed to Hard Brexit, it won't take two years. The EU will be eager to take the financial services sector before they come to their senses.

New post-1985 low for sterling against the dollar today.

Comment

The new Brexit passport

ursus arctos wrote:
                        New post-1985 low for sterling against the dollar today.
                        I noticed.

Comment

The new Brexit passport

It will cost everyone in the country a hundred quid to change their passport. I'm amazed it's not the first thing they've made us all do already.

Comment

The new Brexit passport

I applaud the efforts to make price calculations between the pound and the dollar easier by trying to get to parity.

Comment

Working...
                            X