Colombian peace deal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Colombian peace deal

I feel like I should be putting this in the WTF? Thread, but it also deserves one of its own, even if it's a nil. The Colombian people - or rather not very many of them, because it was a low turnout - have gone to a referendum today and have voted to continue the civil war against FARC by a slim majority. Regions affected by the conflict went massively in favour of the peace deal, but those not affected went against.

So it seems like the UK might not even win the medal for Stupidest Referendum Result Of 2016, after all that...

Colombian peace deal

It is just insane.

Less than 33 percent turnout and a "winning" margin of less than half a percentage point.

Comment

Colombian peace deal

Jesus Christ, that's the worst referendum result of the year, in a crowded field.

Comment

Colombian peace deal

Holy shit. What the fuck is with people this year.

Comment

Colombian peace deal

Grrr. That's worse than depressing. Feckin rightists in Latin America take the biscuit, Tea Party Repubs have nothing on some of these yokes.

Comment

Colombian peace deal

Did they need a Hungary-style minimum turnout provision?

The UK had one for the devolution referendum in the late '70s, and history might have been quite different if that hadn't been in place. But overall, you'd think that a constitutional issue (as opposed to policy/"advisory") should require a minimum number of votes.

The anti-elite argument ("let the people speak") is less compelling when they don't.

Comment

Colombian peace deal

I know too little about South American politics to make any kind of pronouncement, but it seems to me that Colombia is the continent's nutcase nation -- which takes some doing.

Comment

Colombian peace deal

From my brief catch up it appears that a former president was pushing a "it's too good a deal for them" line which has been backed by areas not as affected by FARC.

My Colombian friend in London (who voted at the consulate) is rather annoyed.

Comment

Colombian peace deal

Why did this even need to be put to a vote? Was that part of the negotiations to even consider a peace deal?

Comment

Colombian peace deal

I'd imagine it could be due to FARC getting actual seats in government/parliament. Maybe, constitutionally, you have to put such things to a referendum.

Comment

Colombian peace deal

They wouldn't get seats just like that by virtue of the peace process. Obviously they would have to stand for election like any other party.

Comment

Colombian peace deal

Other voters objected to monthly stipends that demilitarized rebels are to receive once they give up their arms as well as the deal’s guarantee that at least 10 seats in Congress would go to the FARC.

Comment

Colombian peace deal

OK, I'll eat my words.

Comment

Colombian peace deal

Here's a good follow-up piece from The Economist.

Comment

Colombian peace deal

Santos wins the Nobel Peace prize despite of the referendum result.

Comment

Colombian peace deal

My guess is that the Nobel Committee thought that giving it to him (actually confirming a decision they would have made pre-referendum) might help induce the parties and populace to do what they can to resuscitate the accord.

Comment

Working...
                                X