Password Manager

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Password Manager

Like most of you I guess, I've got loads of accounts that require passwords and I'm using a handful of different ones but rarely change them so I was thinking about using a password manager that is suitable for Android phones.

There are so many available but which one would OTFers recommend?

Password Manager

I use LastPass premium which I'm very happy with, I combine it with a yubikey for 2FA.

It bothers me a little that I no longer know any of my passwords.

Comment

Password Manager

Been playing this for a few weeks now. Managed to win the Prem with h0lyGh0st11 but struggling in Europe. Anyway PM17's out next Friday - I've already booked the day off work!

Comment

Password Manager

Comment

Password Manager

Mumpo, can I have what you're having.

Thanks Levin, not sure that I understood the second part of what you wrote.

Comment

Password Manager

I use LastPass, and I think it's probably the best if you're on Android. You can use it to log into apps, not just websites. It works with fingerprint recognition if you have phone with a sensor. It syncs across platforms.

On the Apple ecosystem, I think 1Password may be better integrated, though these days I'm not so sure. Apple has opened up iOS a fair bit with the last two releases.

Comment

Password Manager

Ah, AE. I use the password generator in lastpass to create passwords now so there are very secure but I've no idea what they are. It means that I'm not duplicating passwords at all but I do wonder what would happen if LastPass ever stopped working. I'm not concerned about a hack as the vaults are kept hashed and salted.

I didn't realise about the fingerprint thing GY. I use Google authenticator on my phone for 2FA and a yubikey on PCs. The integration on Android for apps is very good.

If a service or app offers 2FA you should use it.

Comment

Password Manager

I've just put LastPass on my desktop devices and am struggling to Let (It) Go of all my passwords. I suspect the problem is in my head and old habits, more than LastPass itself.

Although when it generates a 12 character password and the website password strength meter still says "Medium" or "Weak", I still think "For fucks sake, can we not do better than this?"

Comment

Password Manager

Length is only one dimension of strength (and of course all this assumes a brute force attack). It also depends on how many choices there are per character.

Comment

Password Manager

Agreed, but if you look at it from a user point of view you've got something like LastPass offering better security and websites saying this is not secure enough.

When correcthorsebatterystaple would be denied for for not having a capital letter or number, then it really is time to come up with a proper strategy for security in general.

Comment

Password Manager

I've found that it's usually because special characters isn't on by default in the password generator and the site wants lower, upper and special before it will mark it strong.

I registered with HMRC a few weeks ago. The password requirements are.

Between 8 - 12 characters!!!
                      contain at least one letter
                      contain at least one number
                      cannot contain the string "password"

to be a tiny bit fair they do require SMS 2FA.

Comment

Password Manager

Yeah, I also use LastPass with 2FA.

The paid version is pretty indispensible on my Android phone.

Comment

Password Manager

Thanks for the suggestions, much appreciated.

Comment

Password Manager

Chiming in belatedly: 1Password is very good as an iPhone/Mac combo.

Comment

Working...
                            X