Seriously taking the piss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Something on this site is eating memory and CPU. I killed the process less than a minute ago, and just reloading took up 50% of CPU and 220MB of memory. And it keeps reloading itself over and over again. What's going on?

You must not be using ad block. Sadly you basically have to block all the adverts as they make the site unusable.

Comment

Double post

Comment

It's one of the advertising scripts, which just continues loading and loading - I explained it on another thread a few weeks back but I guess the admins either didn't see it or haven't dealt with it.

Install an ad blocker or the Opera browser and it'll take care of the problem.

Comment

I'm getting new units where there never were any before. Mainly at the bottom of the thread instead of the right rail.

Using the site on a mobile has become almost impossible.

Comment

Quite.

I've finally had to install Ad Block Pro on my tablet.

Comment

I've emailed the web admin with an explanation of the problem. Hopefully they'll be willing to open a dialogue...

Comment

The ads themselves don't seem as bad now, but I'm finding the blue loading bar now gets stuck halfway at least half the time (which er, probably is still the ad script) and I have to press reload as I watch white screen with the wsc logo at the top. If that's not just my terrible dying phone, can't see many new users sticking around.

At least the site never crashes and closes like the bloody Guardian.

Comment

SouthdownRebel wrote: I've emailed the web admin with an explanation of the problem. Hopefully they'll be willing to open a dialogue...
                  Site admins typically don't have control over the ads; they just sign up to third-party providers.

Comment

True, but decent providers will allow admins to exclude specific problematic ads.

Comment

Stumpy Pepys wrote:
                      Originally posted by SouthdownRebel
                      I've emailed the web admin with an explanation of the problem. Hopefully they'll be willing to open a dialogue...
                      Site admins typically don't have control over the ads; they just sign up to third-party providers.
                      Sure, but it's their job (presumably) to complain to the service provider if the ads are breaking the site.

Comment

Grrr, it's happening again.

Comment

SouthdownRebel wrote:
                          Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys
                          Originally posted by SouthdownRebel
                          Sure, but it's their job (presumably) to complain to the service provider if the ads are breaking the site.
                          It's also their job to specify to their supplier what is and isn't acceptable in terms of the service they are paying for.

(And I mean the admins in the wider sense, not just the MB minders, overseers, and caretakers)

Comment

Working...
                          X