Hoboken train crash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hoboken train crash

Do we have anyone likely to be travelling?

Hoboken train crash

Not round there that I am aware of.

Comment

Hoboken train crash

FF has posted it on FB, so she's fine.

Comment

Hoboken train crash

Unlikely.

FF lives north of Hoboken and usually takes the bus when she isn't working from home.

It looks very much like the brakes failed, so that the train hit the buffers/bumpers at more or less full speed. Hoboken is a terminus on the Hudson, people take the underground PATH train or a ferry to Manhattan.

This is bad, but it would have been much worse an hour or so earlier in the day.

Comment

Hoboken train crash

I have friends there. They are ok.

Comment

Hoboken train crash

At least one dead, about 100 injured

And some of the most insidious wingnuts on Twitter are already insisting that this is "radical Islamic terrorism' which is being covered up by the "Sharia-compliant media".

Comment

Hoboken train crash

Comment

Hoboken train crash

ursus arctos wrote: It looks very much like the brakes failed, so that the train hit the buffers/bumpers at more or less full speed.
                It would take an awful lot of things to be wrong for that to happen. There would be three different braking systems, the train brake, the straight air, and the hand brake. Of the three, all but the hand brake are designed so that if they fail, the brakes are stuck on, not so they don't work.

Most end on crashes are due to driver error.

But I guess we shall know in time.

Comment

Hoboken train crash

Thanks, BB&F

I was just looking at US-based railway board where a number of people made similar points. As is often the case, witnesses have given a wide range of estimates of the speed the train was travelling at (anywhere from 10 to 35 mph). The limit entering the terminal yard is 15 mph.

All indications are that this could have been much worse. For one thing, the train was running with the diesel locomotive at the rear, what hit the buffers was the cab car. There does seem to be some structural damage to the roof of the train shed.

Comment

Hoboken train crash

Big Boobs and FIRE! wrote:
                    Originally posted by ursus arctos
                    It looks very much like the brakes failed, so that the train hit the buffers/bumpers at more or less full speed.
                    It would take an awful lot of things to be wrong for that to happen. There would be three different braking systems, the train brake, the straight air, and the hand brake. Of the three, all but the hand brake are designed so that if they fail, the brakes are stuck on, not so they don't work.

Most end on crashes are due to driver error.

But I guess we shall know in time.
                    Sure. But in the fullness of time, with all the trains running everywhere in the New York metro area, let alone the world, it stands to reason that all three of those things could go wrong at once.

Monkeys, typewriters and Shakespeare, innit? (Although that example actually doesn't work. Monkeys just keep hitting the same key over and over)

Comment

Hoboken train crash

It made me think of the Once rail crash here in 2012, which happened right in peak time and killed 51 people, so I'm glad (if that's the right word to use in such circumstances) that this one is less serious.

Being Argentina, I think the cause of the Once crash - driver error or brake failure - is still under investigation.

Comment

Hoboken train crash

ursus arctos wrote: At least one dead, about 100 injured

And some of the most insidious wingnuts on Twitter are already insisting that this is "radical Islamic terrorism' which is being covered up by the "Sharia-compliant media".
                        Curt Schilling is, already ably shredded by Deadspin.

Comment

Working...
                        X