• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Toronto area commuter trains.

Comment

The double-decker coaches are impressive if a bit ugly:

Comment

Quite ugly, yeah. Why "GO" though? Is it just some branding shit?

Comment

Government of Ontario

Comment

I sit upstairs, branded The Quiet Zone. It's where all your anti-socials gather to sit and ignore each other.

Comment

'Quiet' is good, obviously. I always book the Quiet Coach on LNER - that way there's around a 23% chance that other passengers therein mightn't ignore the many, many announcements and notices to the effect that conversations should be kept to a minimum and mobile calls taken in the vestibule area.

Comment

I sit upstairs, branded The Quiet Zone. It's where all your anti-socials gather to sit and ignore each other.

Can you hear all the laughter and flirtatious chatter coming from the normal people downstairs?

Comment

This has made me realise that I don't recall ever seeing a double-decked coach in England.

The Long Island Railroad has them, as do Chicago's commuter lines. They are also used in commuter service in France, Germany, Switzerland and Italy (among others).

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                    This has made me realise that I don't recall ever seeing a double-decked coach in England.

I've certainly never seen one which is why I thought the GO ones were so good when I rode in one.

Comment

It feels like the UK is the only country which doesn't have some double decker carriages. Even Romania has a few.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                        The loading gauge (height and width of tunnels, etc) largely prohibits this. The Southern Region of BR introduced a pair of experimental units for commuter use in the 1940s but the design required for them to fit through tunnels and bridges meant that passengers couldn't get in and out quickly so they were withdrawn in the early 1970s.

Comment

Here we are:

Comment

Wow. Thanks for that.

Possibly the ugliest thing I've ever seen.

Comment

Yeah, no double-decker trains in Britain, no double-decker buses elsewhere (more or less). Interesting eh?

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                                Can you hear all the laughter and flirtatious chatter coming from the normal people downstairs?
                                Um...yes. And when the peels of laughter get too loud, all the QZ types shoot each other disapproving looks. What's worse, the 'middle' layer is actually noisier most days than the lower level. Savages, the lot of them.

Comment

Working...
                                X