Learning sign language

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Learning sign language

Is this intuitive and easy, or is it really difficult? I'm not the best at sticking with learning things that I find terribly hard. I've always had a fascination for how sign language works, though, and while I'm not actually going deaf to any real degree, yet, I do expect it'll be the first thing that goes with me (I already struggle to follow conversation in anywhere with a high level of background noise, like noisy bars or on aeroplanes).

I saw a couple conversing almost solely through sign language at an aiport, on Saturday night. I really think I'd like to learn it. Are there courses online?

Learning sign language

How good are you at languages generally?

Comment

Learning sign language

Especially languages you have no reason to practice on a regular basis.

Comment

Learning sign language

He is about at good at languages as he is at using google.

Comment

Learning sign language

People mention that a lot. What is it?

Comment

Learning sign language

I quite like hearing about the opinions and experiences of people on here, caja-dghl. It's called a "messageboard". Look it up on google.

Comment

Learning sign language

A [hearing] friend of mine learnt it and I don't remember him saying it was especially difficult; no more difficult than learning French or Spanish I expect.

If you're serious, I'd recommend finding a group who regularly meet to practice (I do the same thing where I live).

Comment

Learning sign language

But its a language. Do you want to learn it? Do you want to communicate with deaf people? If so it doesn't really matter if it is difficult or not.

You are hardly likely to get responses like "I learned sign language but then learned that deaf people are typically really horrible".

Maybe I am getting hung up on the question of whether there are courses online. Or maybe I am in a terrible mood. I don't know.

Comment

Learning sign language

I'm amused by the thought that they were discussing the nosey bastard over there, staring at them.

Anyway. As I said on the other thread, I know a couple of people who are fluent in BSL and they said the hardest part initially is stopping yourself talking out loud as you sign.

Comment

Learning sign language

dglh has Porch-builder's Dyspepsia. Causes irritability and splinters.

Comment

Learning sign language

I learned sign language but then learned that deaf people are typically really horrible.

Comment

Learning sign language

I was taught the BSL alphabet by my next door neighbours when I was 4 years old. I think it was a trick to shut me up.

Neither of them were deaf. I can still do it 45 years later.

Comment

Learning sign language

N est à? wrote: I learned sign language but then learned that deaf people are typically really horrible.
                          :-D

Comment

Learning sign language

I've read you can teach your baby basic sign language, before it's able to talk.

Comment

Learning sign language

I learnt today that sign language is very different from one country to another.

Comment

Learning sign language

Especially in South Africa.

Comment

Working...
                                X