Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The 'Internet of Things' thread (was: 'Unsafe at any speed, mk.2')

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 'Internet of Things' thread (was: 'Unsafe at any speed, mk.2')

Okay, more 'insecure' than unsafe, but still - this is exactly the kind of headline material that can get taken out of context, go viral and kill a fledgling venture.

Evidently they need to put more emphasis on electronic security at Tesla, but I fear that this might hit them hard - possibly fatally - before they get a chance to do that.

The 'Internet of Things' thread (was: 'Unsafe at any speed, mk.2&#39

Not just Tesla. The Internet of Things is a security nightmare. Especially in these early generations, where a large number of the manufacturers are startups who can't/won't update their software years down the line, or be around to claim compensation from.

Comment

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/improved-renault-kwid-scores-one-star-global-ncap-crash-testing

Johnny One Star.

Comment

Ginger Yellow wrote: Not just Tesla. The Internet of Things is a security nightmare.
        The rest of it isn't much better to be fair

Comment

Well, the IoTocalypse didn't take long.

Comment

Ginger Yellow wrote: Well, the IoTocalypse didn't take long.
            So, is there a way that someone can check if some of their IoT items are infected? And if so, is there anything that you can do about them?

Comment

IOT (it's already a standard abbreviation) is very hot right now in medical devices. Telemedicine holds huge potential for cost savings and, perhaps more importantly, data-collection. Security is also a hot issue but, counter that ridiculous plot in Homeland, I don't think many people will be murdered by somebody hacking their device. It's pretty easy to prevent that. The bigger threat is stealing the data (for what purpose, I'm not sure) or people just taking down networks to be dicks or as terrorists/extortionists.

Comment

After yesterday's attack, do I need to worry that my WeMo light switches are going to become sentient and try and kill me?

Comment

[URL]https://twitter.com/jalopnik/status/1129071824120291330?s=21[/URL]

If you’re got a very strong feeling of déjà vu right now, don’t worry, as we’re getting it too. The very first (or second, depending on how you count it) fatal crash while using Autopilot occurred under what sounds like, at least for now with our very limited amount of information, similar circumstances. In that instance, a semi-truck was turning onto a Florida highway, and the driver of the Tesla struck the side of the trailer and died.

Comment

Working...
                  X