Born Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Born Again

As part of my ongoing effort to change many things about my life, I've decided to give myself a new name here and start over with a new profile. I'll let you guess the reference. (Answer: http://eatslikeaduck.com/hot-pepsi/)

Other things I'm doing:

I don't have a TV at the moment. The one I had was doing a poor job of playing anything from the internet so I gave it to somebody who has cable but not an HDTV. I was going to get a new one, but I think I won't. It's been liberating so far. Yeah, I haven't watched Stranger Things or the end of last seasons' Game of Thrones, but I find I don't care. If I want to watch sports, I can go to a bar. I have the MLB, NHL, and MLS packages on my phone/computer. Going to turn that room into a space just for working out. Or maybe something else. Not sure yet.

Doing a lot more hiking in the woods with my dog. I live next to Rothrock State Forest. It's a magical place. Come visit. I'd like to start doing more mountain biking, but I need to get in better shape to handle the trails we have around here. Very rocky.

Am trying to become a vegetarian with a view toward being a vegan. Not easy. I'm very lazy/indifferent to cooking. I realized that I don't need an airtight logical high-falutin logical argument for it. It's just about compassion (and the environment). Yeah, an animal's death isn't the biggest tragedy in the universe, but wouldn't it be better if we didn't kill it? And we're killing zillions and doing it in the least humane most horrifying ways. Some days it's too much to bear so I have to pretend like I don't know that. But...yeah. And I'll probably give up trying to be a fly-fisherman too. Fish, unlike pigs or cows or even chickens, really are very simple and I don't think they feel fear or pain in a way we can imagine, but they do feel stress in some vague way, so I figure it's better to just leave them alone. But if I need to eat something and there are no good vegan options, I'll pick the fish.

Going to try to lose 100 lbs via eating a lot more vegetables, few carbs, and getting back into the exercise routine that I stopped two years ago after my accident. So much quackery out there on this topic. Fortunately, I know enough about how science works - if not actual biology - to sort through it, I hope.

Still only getting about 4 hours a sleep a night, which is ruining my life in many ways, but I'm not giving up trying to fix that. Working on seeing yet another doctor about it. Someday it will get better.

Giving up all social media except a bit of twitter since I have to do that for work and I'll maintain my dog's instagram. If you want to talk to me, we can email or write paper letters or text or meet in a pub. Send me a direct message via this platform and I'll share my email. All of these are much better ways to relate to other people than facebook or twitter, I've found.

I'm going to try to stop worrying about things I cannot control, including the outcomes of sporting events and America's rapid decline into fascism. I'll try to spend my energy, helping animals, immigrants, LGBTQ people, minorities, women, children, refugees etc. Arguing with fascists online is not useful.

Not going to be so judgmental of people who are, well, for lack of a better word, stupid. That sounds really judgmental. Shit. I just mean, you know, that we don't know what journey led to somebody being who they are, even if who they are is somebody doing something evil. We don't know if they're irredeemable. And that's all assuming that they're wrong and I'm right, which is often not the case, I've found.

Still thinking about moving to Canada. But I think it will have to wait...realistically, it will probably have to wait until my parents have passed on. That's a horrible thing to contemplate, but they're 70, not getting any younger. I'm about five hours from them. I don't think I want to put more distance in there. Plus, I like where I live for the most part. I just wish it had a big cold lake and wasn't in a country run by militarists.

Going to keep doing the psychotherapy and a thing called spiritual formation. Ask if you want to know what that's all about. It's part meditation and part woo. I believe that woo is very important.

Going to read a lot more. Especially getting back into philosophy and try to develop my ideas about relational metaphysics and what not.

Still doing the church youth group leadership. It sounds lame, but it's the opposite of lame. There's no doctrine and not really much Bible. It's about creating a "safe space," in the modern lingo, to let kids learn who they are and build a community based on love.

Not sure about this job I have. We'll see. Options are limited.

Chipped my front tooth doing something dumb. It's actually not my tooth but the bit of whatever the dentist put on it to fix the last chip/grind-away. Oops. Need to call the dentist. He's got some other stuff he wants to do in there, so it's no problem.

Resolved not to kill myself. If nothing else, I owe it to my dog.

Anyone else doing any big lifestyle changes? Any advice on the above?

Born Again

I bought some new socks.

Good luck HP.

Comment

Born Again

Wow

That's a lot to process, and it will take me a while to do it, but be assured that we are all very much behind you.

You are also way ahead of I am now that I'm no longer going into the office every day and we no longer have ursus minor at home.

Comment

Born Again

Well, they say to change one thing at a time, but I'm going to subscribe to your 53 large things at once philosophy. Good on you.

But...I will miss Tonka posting his hike photos on FB.

Regardless, good luck and yes, full support.

Comment

Born Again

You can see all the same photos on instagram. I prefer that, because you don't have to sign in to see them and it's easier to edit and post directly from my phone. For simplicity, I decided to use one or the other and insta won out.

https://www.instagram.com/tonka_kijana_miller/

You are also way ahead of I am now that I'm no longer going into the office every day and we no longer have ursus minor at home.
          Big life change there. Are you semi-retired or just working at home more now?

Comment

Born Again

Best of luck with that HP! Sympathies re the sleep problems. Exercise and fresh air sound like a great part of any plan for feeling better.

That's a worthy thing your doing with your dietary plans. I'm not selfless enough to do the same myself, but I do try to cut down on meat. I'd get a few months under your belt with the vegetarianism before worrying at all about veganism if I were you. Small steps and all that. Loads of good recipes on the net as well as in books. Gradually build up the proportion of pulses in your protein intake as you learn more different recipes, so that you aren't having the same things too often.

Comment

Born Again

Evariste Euler Gauss wrote: Gradually build up the proportion of pulses in your protein intake as you learn more different recipes, so that you aren't having the same things too often.
              Pulses?

Comment

Born Again

I wish all the best to you.

Comment

Born Again

Hot Pepsi wrote:
                  Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss
                  Gradually build up the proportion of pulses in your protein intake as you learn more different recipes, so that you aren't having the same things too often.
                  Pulses?
                  Lentils.

Comment

Born Again

Thanks. And that's good advice. I don't do a lot of lentils because it's a hassle to get the dry ones and soak them all night etc. Need a better option.

Comment

Born Again

Canned. But they're like...ten times the price of the dried ones.

Comment

Born Again

That's still pretty cheap.

Comment

Born Again

Hot Pepsi wrote: You can see all the same photos on instagram. I prefer that, because you don't have to sign in to see them and it's easier to edit and post directly from my phone. For simplicity, I decided to use one or the other and insta won out.

What has Tonka got his nose in, there? It looks surgical!

Comment

Born Again

There are all these people who go "off grid", but you seem to have chosen to stay on grid in a passive way. This is what I try to do. I got rid of Facebook six years ago and generally avoid all political discussion shite on the television. It only annoys me. My TV is really more of a large screen for youtube and streaming football. I don't subscribe to any TV service. The grid is important because it keeps us in touch with people, ideas and causes that we care about. The key is to filter out all the shite and to make peace with the fact that we are not in control of loads of crap that goes on in the world. Seems you're doing a good job of that.

You genuinely made me laugh out loud when you said you were giving up social media except for the dog's Instagram account.

Comment

Born Again

Best of luck HP. Shit is admirable, moving beyond thinking about change obsessively and actually making the changes is so fucking hard (this scroat may never get there). Tonka is freaking adorable looking too (am I becoming a middle aged shut in who surfs animal instagrams on the web? Appears so).

Comment

Born Again

evilC wrote:
                                Originally posted by Hot Pepsi
                                You can see all the same photos on instagram. I prefer that, because you don't have to sign in to see them and it's easier to edit and post directly from my phone. For simplicity, I decided to use one or the other and insta won out.

What has Tonka got his nose in, there? It looks surgical!
                                It's a lightweight collapsable water bowl that I can take with us on hikes. It's made out of some kind of waterproof nylon stuff. For some reason, I own several of them.

Comment

Born Again

Lang Spoon wrote: Best of luck HP. Shit is admirable, moving beyond thinking about change obsessively and actually making the changes is so fucking hard (this scroat may never get there). Tonka is freaking adorable looking too (am I becoming a middle aged shut in who surfs animal instagrams on the web? Appears so).
                                  I follow about 7,000 other dog accounts and about 2,000 of them follow Tonka's account. There are many more thousands out there, but 7,500 is the limit so if I want to follow people I actually know or make room for other useful stuff, I have to remove some to make space - usually one that is only sometimes dog content. Or if I find out they support Trump or are into guns or selling animals for profit I don't follow them. Or if they post mostly pictures of things other than dogs, I won't follow.

I've also discovered that there are a whole lot of people in the far east - Japan or Korea, I think, but I'm not sure, because I can't read the captions- that take lots of immaculate pictures of restaurant food and their pet dogs. And no, those two things are never confused. At least not by the people I've seen on Instagram.

Comment

Born Again

Wow! that's a lot to digest.

Giving up all social media except a bit of twitter since I have to do that for work and I'll maintain my dog's instagram. If you want to talk to me, we can email or write paper letters or text or meet in a pub. Send me a direct message via this platform and I'll share my email. All of these are much better ways to relate to other people than facebook or twitter, I've found.

I'm with you on that, of course. I'm even starting to back away from blogging. My photo-blog gets some attention but it's really not very useful to me. Recently I created an e-mail-group consisting of colleagues and friends. I send a new picture to them every week or two and get genuinely interesting and helpful responses. People are more open, honest and less guarded than on a social network I've found.

Still thinking about moving to Canada. But I think it will have to wait...realistically, it will probably have to wait until my parents have passed on. That's a horrible thing to contemplate, but they're 70, not getting any younger. I'm about five hours from them. I don't think I want to put more distance in there. Plus, I like where I live for the most part. I just wish it had a big cold lake and wasn't in a country run by militarists.

A long-time friend, who moved back to the US twenty-five years ago, returned to Canada a couple of weeks back. Like you she'd been talking about it for sometime, but I was kind of surprised how suddenly it happened in the end.

I'm in a teaching limbo this semester, but my courses are going to be offered in two new programs next September. That means I could be busier than I've been in some time. It does raise questions: Will I still be up for it? I'm having a good time with photography right now, and when the courses they're planning are up and running I'll be pushing seventy. Will I have the energy for both? I dunno, but I guess I'm lucky to have the choice.

Comment

Born Again

Korean text is generally rounder with more circles. Japanese text has Chinese characters mixed in. Korean has no Chinese characters. If that helps.

Comment

Born Again

Another new thing I've done is decide to stop fucking around with the coffee I make at home.

The Mr Coffee I had just wasn't getting it done. The water was going too fast through the grounds and not , you know, making proper coffee. So I bought a better one at Target. It worked well for a while, but then started leaking all over the counter. I talked to Mr Coffee himself and they sent me what he thought was the right replacement part. Didn't help. Whenever I get the patience up, I'll call again and tell them, but I don't feel like that now. Got loads of time on the warranty. I lost the receipt so I don't think I can just take it back. If I can get my money back fine. If I just get a replacement, I'll give it away.

Anyway, in my frustration with all of that I realized, no matter if they fix it, it will just break again. Ultimately, these things are made of plastic parts and plastic breaks. Just another piece of junk for the land-fill.

So as I was struggling with my sleep issues one recent night, I got on Amazon and got a pretty spiffy electric kettle (never had one before) It's big and has the detachable base bit. It claims to be silent but it sounds like a jet taking off until the water starts to boil, and then it's quieter. Weird.

Anyway. I also got the nicest, best-rated French Press (you call them something else, I think. It's got the plunger thing). I had one, but the glass shattered when I was trying to get the grounds out. I have another small one, but the screw holding the screen thing to the plunger stripped and it doesn't plunge right.

Anyway, this thing is ace. Stainless steel. No plastic. High quality European kit.

AND. ANDDDD. I bought a fancy new grinder. Proper burr grinder. Better yet, it let's you just set the level of grindage and the number of cups your making and it does it automatically. Totally solves the problems I was having getting the ratios right.

And I bought a canister to hold coffee in. Seals up. I buy my coffee beans from Rothrock Coffee, the shop owned by 13 time X-Games champion Jamie Bestwick.

All of that cost me about $200, but it's wayyyy better and more reliable that what I've been using, yet way cheaper than those really fancy electronic things that, from what I can tell, were built by and for NASA. Those can run into the mid four digits.

It takes a bit of time to make the coffee, but not too much and it's good. At least, it's how I like it. The only thing worse than the four hours of sleep thing is not having good coffee to start the day after those shitty four hours.

So that's one problem solved.

Comment

Born Again

Kudos on all of the changes you're working on HP, if you achieve half of what you set out to it will make a big difference I'm sure.

I've also given up Facebook recently, and haven't missed it a bit. Neither, it seems, have many of the people on there missed me - many haven't even noticed I'm not there any more. I choose to take that as evidence that FB is indeed a vacuous echo chamber than anything more personal.

Also deleted my LinkedIn, which I'd barely been using for ages anyway. As someone who has a job rather than a career, it held no value whatsoever, unless you count being routinely spammed by recruiters.

Comment

Born Again

I don't drink coffee, I drink tea (my dear). I had a similar problem with electric kettles. So I bought a steel kettle with a whistle. The type you put on the stove. It cannot break. I mean, there is nothing that can break.

Comment

Born Again

I have one of those too, but I have an electric stove, so it's kinda slow. The electric kettle is faster, keeps the water hot, shuts off before it all boils off, and doesn't burn me with steam.

Comment

Born Again

I think the coffee and this return may not be unrelated!

-

-

-

Comment

Born Again

SouthdownRebel wrote: Kudos on all of the changes you're working on HP, if you achieve half of what you set out to it will make a big difference I'm sure.

I've also given up Facebook recently, and haven't missed it a bit. Neither, it seems, have many of the people on there missed me - many haven't even noticed I'm not there any more. I choose to take that as evidence that FB is indeed a vacuous echo chamber than anything more personal.

Also deleted my LinkedIn, which I'd barely been using for ages anyway. As someone who has a job rather than a career, it held no value whatsoever, unless you count being routinely spammed by recruiters.
                                                  LinkedIn is fairly useless, but if and when I ever need another job, it might help. I don't get spam from recruiters. I guess i'm not in demand.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X