Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The greatest sauce for fish in history

I can't help but share this with you.

I shall call it (and copyright it here) the "a la Rogin sauce". It's to go over any white fish steak, be it cod, haddock, tuna or swordfish.

1. Take a huge great scoop of Philadelphia cheese, preferably with garlic and herbs, and bung it in a saucepan. Heat until it begins to melt down, stirring over a gentle heat.

2. Pour in some single cream, enough to make enough that you think you need to cover each serving. Continue stirring until the mixture forms a smooth, runny, sauce.

3. Sling in some ready-to-eat prawns (dry off any water or brine they've come in with kitchen paper) and/or any chopped chives, spring onions or mushrooms or anything else you fancy might go in it. Stir well.

It's bloody GORGEOUS.

Sounds nice, if a bit rich and busy. It's no beurre blanc...

Comment

Yeah, I think "simple" is generally the secret with fish. Though I've always liked the sound of Lobster Thermidor.

I had a nice, simple-as-simple thing in an Italian restaurant in Graz once, which I've managed to sort of duplicate by guesswork. Works very well with "pan-fried" fillets of stuff like bass or bream. In a separate pan, soften some coarsely chopped skinned red peppers in olive oil, then deglaze the frying pan you've done the fillets in with vinegar, and just mix in the liquid with the peppers and the oil. Kind of a warm fishy pepperonata dressing.

I can tell you, if you've been struggling with huge helpings of pork with spuds for days, it just about hits the spot.

Comment

"pan-fried"
        Et tu, Earp?

Comment

HP.

Comment

Purves Grundy wrote:
            Et tu, Earp?
            I did the ironic quotes thing. No jury in the land would convict.

Comment

Working...
            X