Clear All

This arson house in shropshire

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/7590650.stm

never suicide was it

It probably was by one of them ...

Comment

no way, if you are going to take out your family (as alien concept as that is) would you really take out all the horses and dogs?

It was a hit. a very professional one

Comment

The Inland Revenue would never have shot the horses, they'd be worth something. It must have been one of his other creditors.

Comment

rick derris wrote:
          no way, if you are going to take out your family (as alien concept as that is) would you really take out all the horses and dogs?

It was a hit. a very professional one
          Rick knows too much.....

Comment

Why would hit men hit the horses? What would be the point of that?

Comment

TPC - it is required for Union membership.

Comment

No return on killing the person who owes the money.

Comment

police now reckon murder b y the husband/dad and suicide

that's bollocks i reckon

Comment

Nah. A guy who's going from quite rich to flat broke can get pretty despondent. Maybe he thought he'd ruined all their lives and embarrassed them or whatnot, and that they'd be better off dead.

Comment

"police now reckon murder b y the husband/dad and suicide

that's bollocks i reckon"

Well given that they have surveilance video of him walking around with a rifle, I don't think there can be much doubt it was a classic murder/suicide.

Comment

WOM, maybe he though the wife had ruined his and the daughter too, hence the killing of the animals. We will probably never know.

Comment

Dead gerbils don't talk.

Cracking story, this -- almost makes me wish I worked on an English newspaper.

Comment

How dim and careless do you have to be to owe the taxman 800 grand?

Comment

Are you excluding football clubs?

Comment

[quote]Well given that they have surveilance video of him walking around with a rifle, I don't think there can be much doubt it was a classic murder/suicide./quote]

ah, no further question m'lud

Comment

Ursus: no; why would I be? I've spent a couple of years self employed and the first thing I ever did whenever I paid a cheque in was to immediately transfer about 33% of its value straight into the tax account. Meant I had to tighten my belt at times but I never had to get the .22 rifle out, y'know?

Comment

Would never have thought otherwise as far as you are concerned, but running up seven digit tax liabilities seems to be par for the course for mismanaged football clubs in Britain.

This particular case seems to be one of the guy using the company's resources to fund his increasingly bling lifestyle, and stiffing the taxman in order to do so (at least for a while).

Comment

Well "mismanaged" is the word there, innit? Why would I make any excuses for mismanaged football clubs? I'm an AFC Wimbledon supporter. We haven't been mismanaged for a good two years now...

Comment

This particular case seems to be one of the guy using the company's resources to fund his increasingly bling lifestyle, and stiffing the taxman in order to do so (at least for a while).
                                        so, yeah, like I said, how dim and careless do you have to be to get into that situation?

Comment

How dim and careless do you have to be to owe the taxman 800 grand?
                                          Very.

But, to be fair, in most cases, just hopelessly ambitious. Most limited companies that get wound up are ones where they know they've got a tax bill of a certain amount looming at a date in the future (ie the next date they have to pay Corporation Tax) but even if they've set it aside originally, gamble on using it to fund expansion or what have you in the meantime, hoping that when HMRC's inspectors come knocking they'll actually have doubled up.

The inspectors turn up and the gamble's gone wrong, the money's not there any more. Jail ensues. I'd leave them out in stocks for the mercy of small children with branding irons and the creatures that prowl at night. Small business "collapses" cost every single one of us a fortune, because we pay the taxes they've pissed away. All of which never gets repaid to us, because it's gone on the scum's foreign holiday, house extension and new car.

Comment

WornOldMotorbike wrote:
                                            Nah. A guy who's going from quite rich to flat broke can get pretty despondent. Maybe he thought he'd ruined all their lives and embarrassed them or whatnot, and that they'd be better off dead.
                                            Well, according to the shrink they had on Radio 5 last night, he said this bore the hallmarks of a classic case of "I'm the focal and controlling point of the family. Without me providing and being top dog, we are nothing and so there is no reason for us to exist" and so out comes the rifle. To which I can only say, what a fucking cunt of a human being. Shooting your 15 year old daughter and your wife just because your business has gone bust. The business which you have apparently been found to have been asset stripping.

Comment

I don't imagine this thread is giving anyone else a Shakin' Stevens earworm? Thought not.

Comment

It's like that scene in Boys From The Blackstuff with the geese, but 1000 times more.

Comment

Nico Rijnders wrote:
                                                  I don't imagine this thread is giving anyone else a Shakin' Stevens earworm? Thought not.
                                                  Haha, I thought exactly the same thing yesterday.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X