Yeah, I like it - let's run with that!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Following on from the silly names thread, I've noticed that near where I work there quite a few shops with unintentionally silly names. These include:

Front Line Berlin, which sounds like a film about the last days of the Reich but is actually an estate agency.

A shoe shop called Tack

A bathroom fittings shop called Bad Art

A men's clothes shop called OFFS

The other day I saw a taxi carrying an advert for the Turkish tourist board's website www.goturkey.com.

Any good ones where you live?

There's a shoe repair shop in Shoreham-by-Sea called "Heel Your Soles".

Comment

There's a tailor's shop round the corner from my gaff that's probably supposed to be called "The Undercutters".

Unfortunately, thanks to the people who wrote the great big fuck-off sign above the door, it's actually called "The Undercatters".

It's not a shop, but there's also the risk-management magazine that I see lying around at work called "AssCompact".

Comment

'Knobs and Knockers' in Dublin always brings a childish snigger.

Then there's all those unfortunate web sites, like the web site of Speed of Art, www.speedofart.com , and the Therapist Finder site, www.therapistfinder.com

Comment

The train through Macclesfield will take you past a shop called "S&M SUPPLIES", which sells brooms and mops and that.

Comment

There's a shop in Pirna (near Dresden) called "Erotik und Waffen" that sells exactly what it says on the door: frilly knickers, rubber willies and wind-up plastic bollocks on one side, penknives, air pistols and catapults on the other.

Comment

Quarry Bank High Street is home to Walter Wall carpets.

Comment

There's a barber shop in Brighton called Fay Boy Trims.

Comment

There's a restaurant in Oxford called Gashi Gashi.

Comment

There's a "Gaylord" Indian restaurant in Manchester that always raised an infantile giggle.

Closer to home in East London there used to be a "KUM Vision" TV repair shop and there still is "Mehboob Travel" and "K.A.K Mortgages".

Comment

I do like the beauty parlour round the corner from where I live called May Cup.

And the shirts worn by the workers at the heel-bar in the Broad Street entrance to Liverpool Street tube which say Time Wounds All Heels...

Comment

Whenever I see the Mehboob shops, I always say "Help Mehboob" to myself. Was that Oor Wullie or The Broons?

Comment

There's a "Gaylord" Indian restaurant in Manchester that always raised an infantile giggle.
                          There is a Catholic diocese called Gaylord in the US. It's amusing on many levels.

Comment

A few streets away from Croke Park, there's a hairdresser's called Curl Up And Dye.

And on Georges Street there is -- or used to be -- an Indian restaurant called Nagina Tandoori. The first "n" of the sign was repeatedly vandalised into a "v".

Comment

Working...
                            X