Bastille Day attack Nice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bastille Day attack Nice

Several dead as a truck drives into a Bastille Day parade. Gunfire heard.

Bastille Day attack Nice

Just seeing this on Twitter, awful stuff.

Comment

Bastille Day attack Nice

This is absolutely horrific. "Dozens" dead according to police.

Comment

Bastille Day attack Nice

Reuters now reports that a French official has told local media that at least 30 people are dead and 100 injured. The driver is also dead, the local prefect reportedly said.

Comment

Bastille Day attack Nice

60 dead.

Comment

Bastille Day attack Nice

This depraved bastard seemingly drove the truck into the crowd, zig-zagging to kill as many people as possible, then got out with a gun and started shooting.

Now there's a story breaking about a hostage-taking at a hotel elsewhere in Nice.

Comment

Bastille Day attack Nice

Good God.

Comment

Bastille Day attack Nice

Christ.

Truck apparently peppered with bullets. Could be police did all the shooting.

Comment

Bastille Day attack Nice

Not a parade, but a large crowd along the Promenade des Anglais that had gathered to watch the fireworks in the harbour (a long time 14 Juillet tradition).

The mayor has spoken of "dozens" of deaths, and asked everyone in the city to return home and stay there.

Unspeakably awful.

Comment

Bastille Day attack Nice

Looks like he did get out and start shooting. Fuck.

Comment

Bastille Day attack Nice

Many reports of smoke near the Eiffel Tower, but that is fireworks-related, not another incident.

Comment

Bastille Day attack Nice

The truck was carrying firearms, explosives and grenades.

As horrible as this is, it could have been much worse.

Comment

Bastille Day attack Nice

I've been there.
                          What is wrong with people?

Comment

Bastille Day attack Nice

You always hope the death toll will be revised downward, but this one is only climbing. 80 now.

Nothing else to say that hasn't been said each time. Just awful.

Comment

Bastille Day attack Nice

It is impossible to prepare for such an attack, assuming he is a homegrown radical and his weapon was a truck. What can policy do against that?

Comment

Bastille Day attack Nice

Satchmo Distel wrote: It is impossible to prepare for such an attack, assuming he is a homegrown radical and his weapon was a truck. What can policy do against that?
                                Not much. Can try to learn about the plan in advance. Can maybe impede the flow of guns. But if there are a couple thousand people in the world bent on this sort of atrocity, and they're all planning these kinds of attacks, over time, a few of them will get through whatever net is created to stop them.

Comment

Bastille Day attack Nice

Reports say an ID card shows the man to be a dual French Tunisian citizen. I fear for the decent citizens of France from a similar background who will be viewed with suspicion by a population in fear.

Comment

Bastille Day attack Nice

Christ.

Comment

Bastille Day attack Nice

Satchmo Distel wrote: It is impossible to prepare for such an attack, assuming he is a homegrown radical and his weapon was a truck. What can policy do against that?
                                      Send all the Moslems back!

Seriously, who fucking knows? The hydra's out of the cage now and whatever caused it, it's the scourge of our age.

Comment

Bastille Day attack Nice

Just awful.

Comment

Bastille Day attack Nice

I've been there myself and chances are, if you're visiting or living in Nice, you'll take an evening walk down the Promenade. I remember back to our visit and it was really bustling with locals, tourists, people of all ages and nationalities. Easy targets.

Christ knows what the answer is, but with this and bombs in markets and mosques the world gets worse every day.

Comment

Bastille Day attack Nice

Grim as fuck. France has just heaved a sigh of relief that the Euro's passed off safely and then this - I mean, how do you even begin to prevent something like this, no intelligence in the world can hope to identify that some medieval death cult arsehole may decide to get into a vehicle and drive it into a crowd.

Comment

Bastille Day attack Nice

Le Dragon de Gaziantep wrote: Reports say an ID card shows the man to be a dual French Tunisian citizen. I fear for the decent citizens of France from a similar background who will be viewed with suspicion by a population in fear.
                                              Firstly, I agree with you. But my overwhelming emotion is currently not fear for those people but agonising sympathy for those who've lost people they love, for the maimed, for the parents who took their little kids out to watch some fireworks and saw them mown down, splattered to death under the wheels of a fucking great big lorry driven at them for that very purpose.

Comment

Bastille Day attack Nice

I know it's very early and it's the time to mourn and of course I feel for all those affected by this horrific act but the long term consequences of this will be much worse, the FN is going to come out with some vile stuff in the next few days. I fear for all those affected by this and other acts of senseless violence allegedly carried out in their name.

Comment

Bastille Day attack Nice

Just awful. What's really scary is that in the last year or so it's now been repeatedly shown just how easy it is to kill so many people. Even two or three years ago you'd assume that to kill 50-100 people you'd need a pretty big bomb, or a team of bombers, which needs a degree of expertise and planning, and getting all that together gives the security services a chance of intercepting a plot. But all you really need is a kalashnikov and a confined space, or a lorry. You just can't defend against it.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X