X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The obligatory Twelfth thread

Lang Spoon wrote:
    Originally posted by Paris Zébulon
    Lovely driving through Southport yesterday and seeing bouncers outside Lloyd's at 9 in the morning.

In unfortunate timing yesterday was also the day that the Britain in Bloom judges were scheduled to visit Southport. There was a request from the local tourism people that they come about 7 or 8 in the morning, rather than the normal judging time closer to midday.
    Bloody hell, I thought Merseyside had stopped all that pish and left Glasgow the last "mainland" holdout of shitbaggery triumphalism. Christ they're dying in Scotland (even if their influence is still strong in the corrupt and morally bankrupt Slab council). An excuse for a few pissed up Scallies to give it large, or is it still a big thing?
    I think the number of people coming for it is in the thousands, mostly from Liverpool where the council told them to get lost years ago. In most cases it does seem to be a bit of piss up, at least if the number of people I saw swigging cans at 10 in the morning is anything to go by. It's also notable that it's the one event annually that Merseyrail makes a big noise about how they are not letting anyone on a train who appears drunk.

Comment

Duncan Gardner wrote: I didn't often agree with your mad professor mate, but he at least had the self-awareness to bow out of here for a while when his ranting got out of hand. You'd do well to follow his example.
      Not happy with this.

Comment

My reply had nothing to do with the bonfires. If you can't grasp that "Unionism is a nonsense" doesn't help much here (apart from being a crass prejudice against people purely for having a different nationality), any rational discussion with you is basically impossible.

but I didn't say unionism is a nonsense, I said something considerably more thought through than that though didn't I? I said this

The UK is disintegrating, and its economy is bound for the shitter, creating the illusion of a functioning economy in northern Ireland is an expensive and ultimately pointless process. Northern Ireland as an entity is doomed in large part because of shit like this bonfire.

No-one is going to invest in a city where people burn piles of tires in order to incinerate statues of the Virgin Mary and the flag of the ivory Coast. No-one is going to invest in a city which has fleg protests. Not when you could build your factory in Scotland or the Republic.

Loyalism (and to an extent unionism) is a nonsense that can only be indulged in as long as the UK government is prepared to keep paying the tab. Things are going to get very messy either way over the next while as the UK government becomes less and less able to pay that bill.

What can you object to about that? I'm primarily talking about loyalism, which I distinguish from unionism. But even then Unionism can only be seen as a valid viable political framework, if you ignore the uncomfortable fact that it is a shameful economic failure and completely at odds with the modern world. And Loyalism is utter hateful nonsense from beginning to end.

I don't dislike unionism because I don't like people with a different nationality. I dislike unionism because at its heart it is primarily about disliking people of a different nationality. It has literally no merits whatsoever.

I do note though that you respond very badly any time that I point out that Northern Ireland's really stupid identity politics is only made possible by the provision of a massive subsidy from London, which is now under serious threat. the North simply couldn't afford half of the self indulgent bullshit that its political class gets up to if it had to fend for yourselves in the real world.

You see, this is the kind of nonsense you routinely come out with. You must've missed the last twenty years of Loyalist battles with the police.

And yet every year these bonfires are built. Obviously the battles are no-where near big enough. I seem to remember a time when the police were a lot more enthusiastic about enforcing certain laws.

Comment

Obviously the battles are no-where near big enough.
          But you're the sort of guy who sits and tut-tuts at the Nordie savages from a safe distance. You know nothing and it's evident every time you talk about it. The height of your involvement is talking rubbish on this board.
          How big would you like these battles to be? It's nice of you to suggest a lancing of the boil and the murderous chaos which would follow. Seriously, thanks for that.

Comment

Fair enough but he's right to highlight the extreme anti-Catholicism element of it all, even if they are far from fallible as even every Italian would admit.

That said the level of hatred during this sad event is wholly disproportionate!

Comment

I was just tootling about on the iPlayer and was slightly surprised to find a recording of the live coverage of The Twelfth, with a tone of coverage similar to a Royal Wedding. So, this carry on is broadcast live in NI?

Comment

UK Cabinet minister David Davis appears to think that the UK has an 'internal border' with 'Southern Ireland'.

Comment

Working...
                X