Pokemon Go

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pokemon Go

Is it wreaking this kind havoc in the UK yet?

There have been several reports throughout the country concerning accidents and injuries from children and adolescents walking around, solely focused on their wireless devices and not realizing what is taking place around them. There have been pedestrians struck, vehicle accidents, and personal injuries due to falls. There was also a specific case in Missouri where several individuals were robbed after utilizing the interactive game to lure victims to an area that had in-game items that attracted young players. Around Park Ridge, we have also seen large groups congregating near busy roadways, while on their devices playing the game. Although this is a game that encourages people to get outside and walk around, we would be remiss if we did not mention the associated risks and concerns. Please talk to your children on how to play the game in a safe environment, away from roadways and traffic, all while staying aware of their surroundings.
    There's a video clip of Central Park in the linked article that replicates our experience there at the weekend (and we were just trying to get to the Met).

Pokemon Go

It doesn't appeal to me.

Comment

Pokemon Go

I don't think it's available in the UK yet.

Comment

Pokemon Go

I was in Manhattan on Saturday and overheard a stall operator in SoHo saying to a friend "it is some big scavenger hunt thing".

I think I have now realized they were talking about Pokemon Go.

Comment

Pokemon Go

Well not officially. You can sideload the apk though.

Comment

Pokemon Go

Nintendo's stock price has increased by more than a third over the course of the last two trading days.

That seems quite the over-reaction

Comment

Pokemon Go

I posted about this in the current gaming thread. Everytime I go out now, I see people playing it. Sure, there are always people staring at their phones, but the way you see them walking and swiping at their phones, it's obvious what they're doing.

Comment

Pokemon Go

My son and his mid-20s mates are all playing it. He posted a picture on Facebook of all these big burly NFL-playing blokes standing next to a car looking at their phones.

Bizarre.

Comment

Pokemon Go

Sometimes I'm glad my Tamagotchi was cruelly taken from me in '97: it meant I walked away from this all-consuming and ruinous type of technology.

Ok, I've no idea what this is. Alas, the only comrades that could explain it to me were lost to the great Candy Crush Cultural Revolution of '13.

Comment

Pokemon Go

On the one hand, if it gets people who'd otherwise be sitting around not getting enough exercise to go out and get some exercise, great. On the other hand, how fucking old are they?!

I put this last night to a friend (and former Hand Of Pod panelist) who's now moved to Australia and was tweeting about playing it. He called me grandad and said people who were in primary school in 1999-2000 'got it' better. It was all very lighthearted but we did agree that if it gets released in Buenos Aires it will be an absolute gift to criminals. Indeed, from some of the stories I've already seen it is proving to be so even in countries with rather lower crime rates.

Some of the news headlines that it's creating are just brilliant, though.

Comment

Pokemon Go

I always wondered about Dan. Now I know.

Comment

Pokemon Go

I was too old for Pokemon, but I'm really enjoying the app. It's stupid fun.

I don't know know if Niantic planned this, but releasing it when kids are stuck at home during summer break was genius.

Comment

Pokemon Go

Talking of stealing...

Comment

Pokemon Go

It took 5 days to finally get registered, but we got registered.

2 caterpies, an Oddish, a Charmander on our washing machine, some rat/rabbit thing (ratbid?) on our coffee table, and a Pigeoto.

When we'd go to Princeton on our first dates, me and whatever girl I was with would end up playing some spy game like we were spies running all over town to get files and run away from bad guys. This certainly captured that.

Now the washing machine isn't a place where I made out with my wife for the first time 20 years ago, but it's the place where my daughter caught her first Charmander. Outside there was a Caterpie in the petunias. It makes instant memories of completely boring, useless, and innocuous places. In that sense, holy shit what a miraculous little invention.

Comment

Pokemon Go

I asked about it on FB and was jumped upon by a friend who is a fitness nut about how it was getting people off the couch, so it's a definitely a good thing. She lives in the 'burbs. I was picturing NYC, where people are already so focused on their phones that they walk into other people or step on a poor little poodle's toes. We don't need more of that in the city--someone's going to get hurt.

Comment

Pokemon Go

jason voorhees wrote: It took 5 days to finally get registered, but we got registered.

2 caterpies, an Oddish, a Charmander on our washing machine, some rat/rabbit thing (ratbid?) on our coffee table, and a Pigeoto.

When we'd go to Princeton on our first dates, me and whatever girl I was with would end up playing some spy game like we were spies running all over town to get files and run away from bad guys. This certainly captured that.

Now the washing machine isn't a place where I made out with my wife for the first time 20 years ago, but it's the place where my daughter caught her first Charmander. Outside there was a Caterpie in the petunias. It makes instant memories of completely boring, useless, and innocuous places. In that sense, holy shit what a miraculous little invention.
                                awww

Comment

Pokemon Go

So, if you don't have a smartphone, you can't play it? Or, something with a data plan?

Comment

Pokemon Go

You need an iPhone or an Android phone. And yes, it needs to use cellular data.

Comment

Pokemon Go

Excellent. I won't be catching them all.

Comment

Pokemon Go

News from my neck of the woods:

Pokemon Go players almost hit by a pick-up truck at 3am during a high speed police chase

Yes, really. 6 people were staring at their phones so hard that they didn't notice a middle-of-the-night police chase.

This. And David Cameron singing as he meanders back into 10 Downing Street. And Donald Trump existing. As Lenin didn't quite say "Satire repeats itself. First time as comedy, the second time as reality."

Comment

Pokemon Go

ursus arctos wrote: I always wondered about Dan. Now I know.
                                          Haha. The person in question is a different (and younger!) former HOPer.

Comment

Pokemon Go

The moment the Euro 2016 final finished, my wife forced me to go out with her for a midnight 30-minute walk to catch some more of these fucking things.

Comment

Pokemon Go

Admit it, that was more fun that the game on Sunday.

Comment

Pokemon Go

Perhaps this should be in the WTF thread

Comment

Pokemon Go

Halfway through that article there's an invitation to take a 'free personality test'
                                                  Probably a good idea.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X