Famous people on your flight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't remember the cities, but I would guess NYC to LA. I was on a flight with a rookie Ken Griffey Junior and his dad.

I stood in line behind Ringo Starr at LAX last year at a Hudson News Stand. His wife (?) was buying magazines and I was buying a bottle of water.

Comment

i literally bumped into paulo maldini in barcelona airport day after a game between barca and milan some years ago. i was walking along and saw a guy who looked really like shevchenko walking along, and i turned to look, and sure enough it was him. alas i'd kept walking all the while and collided straight into maldini, who glanced down at me disapprovingly, put his hand on my shoulder, and kindly moved me aside.

i felt there was a real connection, a recognition of greatness in the other ;-)

Comment

As mentioned before, my favorite all time celeb sighting was when I saw Dave Gahan in a Manhattan parking garage. I wasn't really sure it was him, but I confirmed later that he lives in NYC and that the woman he was with was his wife. He was giving the guy who works at the parking garage a Christmas tip.

If I had been sure, I might have talked to him. It's also very random because it is the only time I've ever parked a car in Manhattan.

I frequently see minor local sporting celebrities - like Penn State womens soccer players or an assistant lacrosse coach - in the grocery store. I have seen Walter Bahr around. That counts as more than minor, I suppose. At least for fans of US soccer history.

Comment

I used to work for easyJet at Luton airport, and checked in Billy McKinlay and Patrick Barclay for flights there. My check-in mate got Tony Robinson one time.

Comment

Le Dragon de Gaziantep wrote:
            Originally posted by NickSTFU
            Is the late Jeremy Beadle considered famous?

If so, him.
            Is he dead?
            I hope so, as they buried him.

[/badoldjoke]

Comment

god, if he wasn't, imagine all the handprints on the coffin lid. figure that one out future archaeologists

Comment

Daniel O'Donnell boarded in front of me with some guy a bit younger (maybe 30s) on an EDI-DUB Ryanair last flight of the night. Must have been just post IndyRef 2014 I think, him coming back from GlenEagles Ryder Cup, me from less salubrious parts in darkest Fife.

He made a quip about the amount of time they made us wait on the Tarmac under the bus shelter conservatory thing, before boarding. I may have responded with a laconic, wee bit pissed ken, quip back at him that involved swearing and Michael O'Leary's parentage.

He didn't seem best pleased.

Comment

Let's see.

Alistair Darling*, Vinnie Jones, Jim Beglin.

Also Vitali Klitschko on a long haul jobby, but only after going through arrivals did I realise he was on there but didn't recognise anyway...

Are any of these people actually that famous?

Not on my flight, but met Graham Taylor & the missus on a trip to Dublin and once bought Mostovoi(the Russian 'Beckham'? Or something) a beer as his flight was the next gate to mine, as someone pointed him out and we then made bad footballing small talk.

Acknowledged Darling as we waited at the luggage carousel. Seemed happy as I made some vague compliment but then disappeared pronto, when Iraq was mentioned.

Comment

The only recognisable folk I've ever seen were the band Babes in Toyland on a BA flight from Copenhagen to Heathrow. They were all in economy and all sat apart from each other, but did sign my boarding card. I think they'd just played Roskilde.

If we can stretch this to famous folk on the ferry then I can add Jimmy Hill and Kevin Keegan going off for a celebrity golf weekend, Rick Stein with dog, Johnny Vegas, Anthrax (and tourbus - just a fortngight ago), Chris Packham, Nigel Mansell's Red 5 Formula One car and I'm pretty sure BB&F must have walked past me up the precipitous gangway steps on one of his European jaunts. So he wins. Wins all the way.

Comment

Groenlandais wrote: Rick Stein with dog, Johnny Vegas
                      Lovely.

(Sorry about misquoting, but it just struck me as funny.)

Comment

Le Dragon de Gaziantep wrote:

If so, him.
                        Is he dead?
                        Beadle died eight years ago.

Why 'wouldn't' he have been considered famous?

Comment

Je Suis Womble wrote:
                          Originally posted by Le Dragon de Gaziantep

If so, him.
                          Is he dead?

I don't know and don't really care. I suppose if you enjoyed 80/90s light entertainment telly, then he's yer man.

As it happened I didn't recognise him until my travelling companion pointed him out and in a stage whisper said "Look at the hand, the hand..." as a mark of recognition.

Comment

I flew from Melbourne to Sydney in 2002 and in a row just behind me were Supergrass, in economy!

I saw them again at Sydney airport sat outside with all their gear, presumably waiting to be picked up.

I know it wasn't at the height of their fame but it seemed a bit of a comedown for them, although, to be fair, they looked alright.

Comment

I also saw Leo Sayer at Stansted airport and in the course of my work I flew to Bahrain with Hal Cruttenden (comedian, has done the Royal Variety Performance amongst other things), although much to his chagrin I managed to get upgraded to business class (I was wearing a suit, always a good tip if you want to try to blag an upgrade) whilst he had to settle for cattle class.

Comment

If we can extend to the Eurostar, Gordon Strachan was on the same one as me when I went to Lille last month.

Comment

NickSTFU wrote:
                                  Originally posted by Je Suis Womble
                                  Originally posted by Le Dragon de Gaziantep

If so, him.
                                  Is he dead?

I don't know and don't really care. I suppose if you enjoyed 80/90s light entertainment telly, then he's yer man.

As it happened I didn't recognise him until my travelling companion pointed him out and in a stage whisper said "Look at the hand, the hand..." as a mark of recognition.
                                  Oh, I never much cared for his programmes - though I'm told he was something of a 'good egg' in terms of his charitable work - but his was undoubtedly a household name during the eighties and nineties.

Comment

Waiting to fly to Madeira for the 2010 floods/national emergency we noticed Margaret Hodge ahead of us in the queue.

Half of their stuff was in those ikea bag material type zip bag for life things that people use for Laundrette runs (Labour).

Apparently she has a holiday home out there (New Labour).

VAT desk and expense related quips helped bring the queuees (is that a word?) behind closer.

Comment

Working...
                                    X