• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK people. Time to "chum up"

Let the feeding frenzy begin.

(Goes off to get bigger boat...)

Noticeably, it is a group containing religious groups as well.

Broadly, I agree with this but, on a micro-level, I am more pragmatic than I was.

In areas that are mixed culturally or socially or are poor socially, church schools can fulfil a service for teaching the local community's children on an equal basis.

We do that in Marley's local school which is CofE (I am a governor on a God-Bothering ticket) which is why we have 60 out of 160 children who are special needs and have an enormous percentage (for Bath) of non-white kids, while the leafy green middle class kids bugger off to other schools.

This is because the ethos of the school is still based on the pre-1945 Education Act idea of church schools instaed of faith schools being just another excluding group. Also, and just as importantly, it doesn't exclude becuase of faith or lack thereof (mind you, we haven't got much choice really even if we wanted to)

Having said this, obviously this is as much to do with the non-religious parents, governors and teachers as well as the religious ones but having the church feeling the same helps.

In an ideal world, of course, all schools would be community schools with no seperation due to faith, private funding or gender. THey would also have strict rules about catchment areas where you would have to have very good reasons for going out of the area other than "There are poor/black children in Tarquin's class".

Comment

Ministers are being urged to stop faith schools in England selecting pupils and staff on the basis of their religion.
      Well, there's the stupidest thing I've read this morning.

Comment

the religious have no place in education.

I am very sceptical when someone says the words religious ethos in ireland. it usually comes at a price of €5,650 (blackrock) or "if you have to ask, well then perhaps this isn't the place for you" (st michaels)

Comment

you know, Priests, nuns, brothers, and those that carry on their 'ethos'. Religion is for the home and has no place in schools.

Comment

no, I mean in any schools (I assume you mean public schools in the Wire sense rather than the Eton sense)

Comment

Working...
            X