No announcement yet.

Next Prime Minister

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any Questions has 15 minutes of Johnson. Matthew Paris ends his bit with an utterly brutal question. The audience reaction from Leave voting Torbay is hugely interesting.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0005tqj

Comment

Now Matthew Parris is a centrist commentator who WILL end up backing Johnson.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy Waterman View Post
        Ahhh. You’re pretending they’d endorse Boris Johnson in order to have a pop at people who supported the Iraq War. Fair enough.

No that's not what I'm saying. I'm suggesting that as the war rhetoric ramps up, the Johnson/Conservatives (backed by the BBC) will call out all those who want peace as unpatriotic. Many of the"centre" will wish distinguish themselves from Corbyn and back implicitly or explicitly the special relationship.

The position of the EU will assume less importance.

Where would you stand, Lucy?

Comment

I think Parris might continue to oppose Johnson. It's personal with him.

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post

No that's not what I'm saying. I'm suggesting that as the war rhetoric ramps up, the Johnson/Conservatives (backed by the BBC) will call out all those who want peace as unpatriotic. Many of the"centre" will wish distinguish themselves from Corbyn and back implicitly or explicitly the special relationship.

The position of the EU will assume less importance.

Where would you stand, Lucy?
            I guess that if these things come to pass we will discuss them all on here.

Comment

The war rhetoric is already ramping up.

In what looks co-ordinated 3 Tory leadership candidates have quote tweeted Corbyn and accused him of being unpatriotic.

Comment

He won't. He really really won't. His bit ends with

I really want a journalist to ask this question during the TV debate, and I know that none of them will. It is simply "How many children do you have?"

Comment

The war rhetoric is already ramping up.

In what looks co-ordinated 3 Tory leadership candidates have quote tweeted Corbyn and accused him of being unpatriotic.
                  Is there an appetite in the country for getting involved in this?

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post

Is there an appetite in the country for getting involved in this?
                    Not yet, but they know how to whip up the patriotic/racist fervour

Comment

Not so sure.

Comment

Nor am I, though my concern would be that the UK's great thirst for a truly special relationship (see the shame of the state visit) would lead a Tory government to do whatever "our" wackos ask them to do.

Comment

Another one. What an extraordinary coincidence
                          ​​​​​​!

[URL]https://twitter.com/michaelgove/status/1139836134123438080?s=21[/URL]
                          remember Pompeo telling Jewish groups the Us would intervene to stop Corbyn coming to power.

[URL]https://twitter.com/dancohen3000/status/1138082064790622209?s=21[/URL]

my prediction: war rhetoric cranks up. Election called. There will be some as yet unused Press TV/Iran Corbyn link/ factoid which will be used repeatedly in the hope that ad hoc is right.

the strategy will also be that this fires up the right sufficiently so Brexit can be reneged on with some rhetoric that we need to stay in Europe to keep them in line.
                          Last edited by Nefertiti2; 15-06-2019, 12:29.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post

He won't. He really really won't. His bit ends with
                            <applause>

Comment

Eh?

Wh'appen there?

Comment

And another one

[URL]https://twitter.com/rorystewartuk/status/1139847661907873793?s=21[/URL]

Comment

I think a distinction should be made between attempt and success. I think the media will try to attempt to paint Corbyn as an unpatriotic traitor taking Iran’s side, I don’t think it will work.

Don’t forget the Iraq war was never popular in the UK (and wasn’t even really in the US) and all Corbyn has to do is point out WE’RE STILL THERE.

this is ignoring that if you have the sense god gave a crabapple you know Iran will make Vietnam look like child’s play.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                    He is a shoo-in because he is already in the last two and insanely popular with the membership
                                    He could shoot someone....and they would still....?

Comment

Parris opposed the Iraq War though:

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/68...matthew-parris

Comment

These anti-Corbyn tweets on Iran are obviously playing to the Tory base (the rabid leadership election voters) but I don't think we can yet say that the same rhetoric would apply in a General Election unless the Tories abandon the centre completely in a Trump-like political suicide mission.

Comment

When the choice is "backing our ally in the coming war for freedom" with Johnson or "standing up for the Islamic republic of Iran" with Corbyn they'll fall into line.
                                          So when you wrote "Yup, pretty much" to the below you actually meant something significantly different, which you detail above :

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post

Let me get this straight, you're saying ;

a) Hugo Rifkind, Helen Lewis and Rafael Behr are going to back Boris Johnson in a general election?

b) they will do this to keep Corbyn out of government?

c) because Johnson's a fellow journalist?

Comment

Not that I think the commentators in question will do what you now describe either. Or that I disagree that the war drums are being beaten by Tory politicians The commentariat you list are pretty irrelevant to that though.

Comment

a) Hugo Rifkind, Helen Lewis and Rafael Behr are going to back Boris Johnson in a general election?

I suspect they will or they will certainly not advocate backing Corbyn/Labour whent here is a straight fight between the two.

b) they will do this to keep Corbyn out of government?

Yes. They really don't want Corbyn in government. Haven't you been following the last three years?

c) because Johnson's a fellow journalist?

Amongst other reasons, yes .
                                              My thesis is that Johnson is treated differently by journalists because he's a journalist .
                                              See for example the many years where he was referred to by the BBC as "Boris"

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                                Not that I think the commentators in question will do what you now describe either. Or that I disagree that the war drums are being beaten by Tory politicians The commentariat you list are pretty irrelevant to that though.
                                                I could see you as a Helen Lewis fan.

My point is to note how the media and the Conservative party are framing the difference between Corbyn asking for evidence and say the EU or the German government asking for evidence

https://twitter.com/StefSimanowitz/status/1139845100496924672

Comment

I suspect they will or they will certainly not advocate backing Corbyn/Labour whent here is a straight fight between the two
                                                  I don’t follow this. There won’t be a straight fight because they are standing in different constituencies. And not backing Corbyn is not the same as backing Johnson. Would Caroline Lucas be backing Johnson if she stood against a Labour candidate? Of course not.

Comment

I’m definitely a Helen Lewis fan. Not read much of her writing but met her a few times and she’s super nice.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X