No announcement yet.

Next Prime Minister

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess when I think of centrist commentators I think of People like Rawnsley, Rifkind, Rafael Behr, Helen Lewis etc. None of whom I can imagine backing Boris in any circs.

Comment

When it comes to deciding to back Johnson or the Labour Party I’m afraid that all of those you’ve listed will.
      Apart from anything else Johnson’s one of them. He’s got away with it for so long because journalists have treated him as a fellow journalist, not a politician.

They still do.
      Last edited by Nefertiti2; 14-06-2019, 16:54.

Comment

Alan Sugar there, who has been bashing Corbyn on anti-semitism and then supports a candidate being advised by Steve Bannon.

Comment

Wow. I mean I can see them all urging a vote for the Lib Dem’s, but of course they wont back Johnson.

Comment

Rifkind voted SLab in the last two Westminster elections I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
              I stand corrected. Theresa May introduced the policy, no surprise there.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                Hancock has pulled out early.
                If only Stanley Johnson had.

Comment

I can see the centrists, still claiming Johnson as a liberal and desperate to keep Corbyn out of government, backing him and ignoring everything that’s gone before.

if he can win them back and hold on to the right with some dog whistle racism I think he has a chance
                  When it comes to deciding to back Johnson or the Labour Party I’m afraid that all of those you’ve listed will.
                  Apart from anything else Johnson’s one of them. He’s got away with it for so long because journalists have treated him as a fellow journalist, not a politician.

They still do.
                  Let me get this straight, you're saying ;

a) Hugo Rifkind, Helen Lewis and Rafael Behr are going to back Boris Johnson in a general election?

b) they will do this to keep Corbyn out of government?

c) because Johnson's a fellow journalist?
                  Last edited by Ray de Galles; 14-06-2019, 21:39.

Comment

Yup pretty much. They will back the establishment over the left Alternative. Shall we have a little bet?

Comment

They will agonise beforehand, of course

Comment

Yup pretty much. They will back the establishment over the left Alternative. Shall we have a little bet?
                        Sure, If we're betting that those three people will explicitly recommend/endorse voting for a Boris Johnson led Tory party in the next General Election.

Comment

No I doubt it will be called the Tory or Conservative Party. It will be call something like "United" or "Together

Comment

What?

Comment

Johnson is going to lead a new Big Tent party after Brexit implodes the Tories? Is that your thesis?

Comment

I've no time for Rifkind or Behr but I doubt they're ever likely to vote Team Boris. Can't be so sure of Cowley or Lewis but.

Comment

I would have a sneaky half bet on Martin Kettle being a closet Tory but.

Comment

When the choice is "backing our ally in the coming war for freedom" with Johnson or "standing up for the Islamic republic of Iran" with Corbyn they'll fall into line.
                                    Last edited by Nefertiti2; 15-06-2019, 08:39. Reason: quotation marks

Comment

I reckon Nef's right. Johnson is affable and he'll make good copy and when push comes to shove it will be "well. words like piccaninny are just what people from his background use, and the lying? Well, who doesn;t lie from time to time? At least we know what to expect from a right wing Tory government run by old Etonians. Better the devil you know"

Comment

Comment

When the choice is "backing our ally in the coming war for freedom" with Johnson or "standing up for the Islamic republic of Iran" with Corbyn they'll fall into line.
                                          And Gerry Francis.

Don't forget Gerry Francis.

(Sorry, Adams.

Francis Adams.)

Comment

Corbyn’s going to take us to war on the side of the Iranians? While Boris Johnson leads a brand new fascist party backed by Polly Toynbee? This is a very detailed dystopia. Very Years & Years.

Comment

No Corbyn's arguing against kneejerk military response after the Gulf incident (just like, say, the EU and Japan) is already being depicted as lack of loyalty. The BBC has already fallen into line.

https://twitter.com/Jeremy_Hunt/status/1139790476956053504

https://twitter.com/DominicRaab/status/1139803107062362112

[URL]https://twitter.com/sajidjavid/status/1139824031085948928?s=21[/URL]

I didn't mention Polly Toynbee.
                                              Last edited by Nefertiti2; 15-06-2019, 11:08.

Comment

It's not so much "Years and Years." More a remake of the Tony Blair and Alistair Campbell show.

Comment

Is she not a centrist commentator?

Comment

Ahhh. You’re pretending they’d endorse Boris Johnson in order to have a pop at people who supported the Iraq War. Fair enough.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X