X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duncan Gardner
    replied
    Originally posted by E10 Rifle View Post
    "revealing you neither know nor care a fuck about Ireland" klaxons needed regular sounding
    At least they know which countries it's in

Leave a comment:

• E10 Rifle
    replied
    You expect them all to talk unicorn shit about Brexit, but what slapped me up sharp was Tories talking about the "need" for austerity again - and thanking the British people for their "sacrifices" - and talking about the piss-awful state of health, care and education services as if it genuinely was nothing to do with them. I was reading a book about volcanoes with my daughter at the time and we had to leave the room to stop me unleashing a volley of swears.

And the "illogical football analogy" and "revealing you neither know nor care a fuck about Ireland" klaxons needed regular sounding.

They're terrible, even by the standards of Tories. But they're also terrible because they're Tories.

Leave a comment:

• Sean of the Shed
    replied
    Unsurprisingly Raab has decided to latch himself to one of Johnson's winnets following his colleagues' rejection of him in the last round.

Leave a comment:

• Tactical Genius
    replied
    Originally posted by hobbes View Post
    Because he's a disaster capitalist who stands to make millions from Brexit, but wants no part of the responsibility of clearing up the mess afterwards, would be my guess.
    Easier to lob bombs in from his position as an "outsider." And this way wherever happens he can avoid any blame.
    Smart man.

Leave a comment:

• Walt Flanagans Dog
    replied
    Ian Blackford calling out Johnson's racism during PMQs, very explicitly.

(ed- six minutes after Rogin said it, and I've just realised I had paused it for a few minutes earlier....)

Leave a comment:

• Moonlight Shadow
    replied
    Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
    Johnson will probably make Rees-Mogg Chancellor. I'm more worried by that than the thought of Boron as PM.
    Yep...

Leave a comment:

• Rogin the Armchair fan
    replied
    Ian Blackford’s just called Boron a racist in PMQs. That’s going to have repercussions...

Leave a comment:

• Nocturnal Submission
    replied
    Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
    Eddie Mair was also on form yesterday asking if Johnson was too busy to attend Sunday's debate because it was father's day.

Haha - excellent!

Mair loathes Johnson.

Leave a comment:

• Rogin the Armchair fan
    replied
    Johnson will probably make Rees-Mogg Chancellor. I'm more worried by that than the thought of Boron as PM.

Leave a comment:

• hobbes
    replied
    Because he's a disaster capitalist who stands to make millions from Brexit, but wants no part of the responsibility of clearing up the mess afterwards, would be my guess.
    Easier to lob bombs in from his position as an "outsider." And this way wherever happens he can avoid any blame.

Leave a comment:

• Tactical Genius
    replied
    Why hasn't Jacob Rees-Mogg run?

Leave a comment:

• George C.
    replied
    https://twitter.com/shahmiruk/status/1141070378086875136?s=19

Leave a comment:

• Antepli Ejderha
    replied
    Originally posted by David Agnew View Post

This was talked about on a local radio phone in show this morning, where they'd spoken to people from the local Tory parties, including some who participated in the survey.

Basically, losing Scotland or Northern Ireland from the union, and trashing the Tory party or the economy were all "project fear" options, so therefore totally unrealistic. Corbyn becoming Prime Minister is a realistic option if Brexit doesn't happen, so they had to actually consider that one. 39% would still take Brexit, and a subsequent Labour government though. Presumably because Labour would be blamed for all the after effects.
    That's similar to what Theo Usherwood said on LBC.

Eddie Mair was also on form yesterday asking if Johnson was too busy to attend Sunday's debate because it was father's day.

Leave a comment:

• ooh aah
    replied
    So in other words, 60% of Tory members are too thick to understand the concept of a hypothetical question.

Leave a comment:

• David Agnew
    replied
    Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
    Looks as though Corbyn is the only bastion against Brexit

[URL]https://twitter.com/chakrabortty/status/1140887807952674817?s=21[/URL]
    This was talked about on a local radio phone in show this morning, where they'd spoken to people from the local Tory parties, including some who participated in the survey.

Basically, losing Scotland or Northern Ireland from the union, and trashing the Tory party or the economy were all "project fear" options, so therefore totally unrealistic. Corbyn becoming Prime Minister is a realistic option if Brexit doesn't happen, so they had to actually consider that one. 39% would still take Brexit, and a subsequent Labour government though. Presumably because Labour would be blamed for all the after effects.

Leave a comment:

• Lang Spoon
    replied
    He (I assume you are referring to Massie) is a far better writer and more perceptive and acute than most Scotch Unionists like Deerin, far less willing to be an obvious cheerleader for the egregious Davidson, and the posh boy chutzpah seems far less evident than in earlier writings.

Probably because he knows and understands fuckers like Johnson so well, he seems genuinely terrified about what is to come.

he also seems to represent that strand of Toryism that is culturally Scottish (as late as 1955 the dominant majority expression of Scottish political identity and small n nationalism was the Tory Whip taking Unionist Party, now Scottish Toryism is dead bar Border and NE culchies and the rump Orange red White and Blue Underpants/comfortable selfish cunt vote in the Central belt: then Slab from 1964 to 2007 was the next Hegemonic Standing Up For Scotland party to implode almost completely) and is now an endangered species (I'd bet folk like him are far more nationalistic in a non political sense than central belt plebs like me). Like the Redmondites of yore they are about to be swept away but.

Rory Stewart to an extent represents another branch of these Border Whimsyists the Tories suddenly have no room for I guess.
    Last edited by Lang Spoon; 18-06-2019, 23:50.

Leave a comment:

• The Awesome Berbaslug!!!
    replied
    I kind of knew him back in college. Though managed not to speak directly to him once. He was mostly comprised of a massive superiority complex, with a lot of the stylistic trappings, but you could see early on that the whole thing was constructed entirely out of insecurity. There is a lot of that going around wherever people in their late teens and early 20's gather. but it was particularly severe in this case. He was a bit of an odd fish. He won the International Mace, which is the debating competition that covers all of these islands, however he wasn't actually enrolled to do his fourth year, and finish his degree.

Leave a comment:

• Lang Spoon
    replied
    Same with Chris Deerin in the New Statesman. He (Deerin) is barely a step from going Full Nat. The man who was Ruth Davidson's personal fluffer last month.
    Last edited by Lang Spoon; 19-06-2019, 00:32.

Leave a comment:

• The Awesome Berbaslug!!!
    replied
    Massie is struggling to come to terms with the dawning knowledge, that everything he has purported to believe in, is obviously and self-evidently wrong.

Leave a comment:

• Benjm
    replied
    Didn't watch the debate but the BBC News and Newsnight have been gruesome in their bubblecentricity. Oh, the thrill of it all.

Leave a comment:

• Jon
    replied
    Yes, the expected grilling from Rory Johnson didn't materialise. Maybe when the field gets less cluttered.

Leave a comment:

• multipleman78
    replied
    He was very poor but I thought the others laid off him in case he wins.

Leave a comment:

• Jon
    replied
    Originally posted by multipleman78 View Post
    Johnson forgot the name of the gentleman in Bristol. While everyone else spoke to Abdullah, Johnson stuttered for a second before referring to his friend in Bristol.
    Yes, that was funny. I don't think Boris Johnson came over particularly well and I don't think it'll be a cakewalk for him from here on in.

Leave a comment:

• multipleman78
    replied
    Johnson forgot the name of the gentleman in Bristol. While everyone else spoke to Abdullah, Johnson stuttered for a second before referring to his friend in Bristol.

Leave a comment:

• George C.
    replied
    Hilarious thread. Imho.
    https://twitter.com/nazirafzal/status/1141070287578050562?s=19

Leave a comment:

Working...
X