Le Creuset

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Le Creuset

The way I get through frying pans, in particular, I'm starting to wonder whether I should invest in something seriously heavy duty that could outlive me.

So what's the deal with Le Creuset? I know they're expensive but they look kind of indestructible.

Are they a pain to maintain? Do they have any non-stick properties? Do they conduct heat particularly well? And can I get essentially the same thing from another manufacturer?

Le Creuset

There's a thread on this somewhere. Search Creuset under Amor de Cosmos' name, maybe. He is Le Roi du Creuset.

Comment

Le Creuset

Here, from this point http://www.wsc.co.uk/forum-index/28-world/1182914-have-we-had-a-thread-about-tea?limit=20&start=100#1183847

Comment

Le Creuset

Here you go

Comment

Le Creuset

Thanks all.

Comment

Le Creuset

When it comes to frying pans, my experience has been that a Le Cruset type instrument is best used for dishes that are on heat for an extended period and those that go from stove to oven.

For quicker dishes and those (omelettes, etc.) that benefit most from a non-stick surface, I'm quite partial to ScanPan (from Denmark) and have also heard good things about Black Diamond (Swiss).

While I adore German cookware in general (all of our pots are Fissler), they don't seem to be as strong in saute pans as the competition.

Comment

Le Creuset

While I love my le cruset cocotte a large frying pan would just be too heavy.

I love the Demeyere pans I got from my dad.

Comment

Le Creuset

I spent far too much money on frying pans over the years and even the expensive ones ended up unusable eventually, but I think I've figured it out now. The trick is not to use the same pan for everything.

I find the best method is to use a steel pan for frying meat, and an expensive thick-bottomed one for slow-cooking.

For eggs, I use the cheapest non-stick pan from Ikea and only use it for eggs. That way they never stick, and if they ever do, you can just chuck it out and get a new one.

Comment

Le Creuset

We've got a 'set' plus a bunch of extras; mostly big pots for sauces and stewing. More than we need, really. Mrs WOM swears by them. They're bloody heavy, if that's a consideration.

Comment

Le Creuset

Frying pans tend to last about 12 months in this household.

And, having owned a Le Creuset frying pan, I'd say that it lasts about 12 months but just for more money.

The general Le Creuset cast iron casseroles and saucepans are great, with their ceramic (or whatever it is) coating. They seem indestructible. But the frying pan really seemed largely indistinguishable from other frying pans apart from being heavier.

We've just started experimenting with a Black Diamond pan which, so far, seems very good. But then they all do in the first couple of months.

Comment

Le Creuset

We don't have a frying pan, I'd agree it'd be too heavy for the kind of work you'd need it to do. We do have a skillet though, and that's excellent. Though not as good for pancakes, or omelettes, as our ceramic crepe pan.

Comment

Le Creuset

In line with other replies, I have never identified the way I would use a cast iron frying pan that much - there isn't much I fry other than things looking for a quick heat. I am sure it is good at avoiding hotspots, but you can probably find a pan that does that without taking longer to get the pan warm than it does to cook whatever you are cooking.

Comment

Le Creuset

San Bernardhinault wrote: Frying pans tend to last about 12 months in this household.
                          Do you play baseball with them?

Comment

Le Creuset

Cast iron frying pans are for searing meat.

Comment

Le Creuset

Amor de Cosmos wrote:
                              Originally posted by San Bernardhinault
                              Frying pans tend to last about 12 months in this household.
                              Do you play baseball with them?
                              Yeah I don't get it, decent stainless steel pans should take a solid decade or two of abuse. The handle on mine came off last year, I still use it for items that don't need to be shaken like steak.

Comment

Le Creuset

I've got a set of Tefal Ingenios. They have detachable handles so they stack in the drawer.
                                Nice.

Comment

Le Creuset

WOM wrote: They're bloody heavy, if that's a consideration.
                                  Call me weedy and uncultured, but this is pretty much their defining characteristic.

I've got a wood and rubber Le Creuset spatula, which came as a freebie with another LC product at some point and is great for moving and turning fried eggs.

Comment

Le Creuset

ursus arctos wrote:

For quicker dishes and those (omelettes, etc.) that benefit most from a non-stick surface, I'm quite partial to ScanPan (from Denmark) and have also heard good things about Black Diamond (Swiss).
                                    Nearly a year on from my admission of destruction of frying pans I have news to report.

The Black Diamond pan has been absolutely rock solid over 12 months. The non-stick is untouched, and it fries fantastically well. I am a fan.

Meanwhile, at Christmas I bought Mrs SB a small and mid-sized ScanPan. These have the metal handle so they can go in the oven after frying. Unlike many other pans, the teflon (or whatever the non-stick is) is rated up to 500F. And these, also, have been flawless.

It turns out that if you spend decent money on a frying pan, it stays in much better shape.

Comment

Le Creuset

What is 'money' when it comes to pans? Are we taking 3 figures badness? Cos then I'll probably end up sticking to my good for two years then the handle breaks "economy" type frying pans.

Comment

Le Creuset

High 2-digit in dollars (and those were discounted) for the higher end ones that I bought.

Comment

Le Creuset

DO NOT buy a Le Creuset to fry most dishes. You use it to BROWN vegetables and SEAR meats, but not fry. Unless you're doing a steak frites, and you can fry your french fries if you have to.

They made my wife an incredible chef. If you know anything about my wife, that is the highest recommendation in the world.

We have a doufeu (the ones with dimples so the condensation drips back down as precipitation on the meat,) and two others of varying sizes.

You save the pasta water, save your chicken bones and veggie scraps, get it to a boil for a minute and turn it to the lowest heat setting, cover it with that tank lid, and you'll make the best stock you'll ever have. It's worth it for that alone. Then you cook the rice and pasta in that stock, and your food gets better across the board.

Remember to save the receipt and all paperwork, because if you fuck up the inside they'll resurface it for free.

It's a very worthwhile investment.

Or if not, just buy the half-price version at Ikea.

Comment

Working...
                                          X