Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes.

Comment

Suddenly I'm being asked to sign in (or up) to twitter, rather than just click through as I've always used to.

Comment

Yeah me too.

Comment

Twitter made a few changes last week. Might have broken stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
            Twitter made a few changes last week. Might have broken stuff.
            Mainly changing icons from blue to black and changing button colours so they're all either black or white from my perspective

Was anything changed "underneath the hood"?

Comment

Yeah, it started happening for me on my laptop yesterday. Can read a person's feed if I have a direct link, but can't do much else, including clicking through to threads. Luckily my desktop still works. But probably not for long. Oh well, my minimal Twitter usage is probably about to drop to zero, so, congrats Twitter.

Comment

You may have to log out of Twitter, clear cache and log back in again. My Brave browser had that problem for a couple of days until I did that.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                  You may have to log out of Twitter, clear cache and log back in again.
                  I'm not logged in to begin with, don't have an account. That's the point. They're insisting you sign up, at least on some devices (could be an a/b thing?).

Comment

Yeah same here, I don't have an account and can't follow threads anymore.

Comment

Hmm, I've just got tested it using the other account and in Private mode and it is showing tweets OK. What browser are you using?

Comment

Safari. I can see tweets, just not threads when I click on a tweet.

Comment

Yes. This is happening to me too now when I'm not logged in the first instance

Modern "advancements", eh?

Comment

Happening to me too.

Comment

Just run some tests - Safari on laptop and iphone is requiring me to sign in, Firefox on same laptop currently isn't and I can navigate twitter freely, as before. I don't have a twitter account.
                              i suppose it may have something to do with the cookie settings in the two programs, they are a little different but I'm not inclined to play around with them to find out.

Comment

Slightly weird experience just now of one of my two quasi-follows from Finance Twitter, who isn't even British, posting a clip from an Oxford United game I went to over 20 years ago.

Comment

Didn't really know where else to post this, but a good post on Elon Musk's stake in Twitter

https://www.profgalloway.com/elon/

We found out Elon was Twitter’s largest shareholder on Monday morning, because that’s when he disclosed his holdings to the SEC, as required of anyone who acquires more than 5% of a public company. Only Elon filed the wrong form, and he filed it nearly two weeks late. He filed the form for “passive” investors — and if you’ve been talking to the CEO for the past few weeks about joining the board and changing the product, you are not a “passive” investor.

Elon filed the correct form (Schedule 13D) the next day, but it requires more fulsome disclosures, which revealed he had crossed the 5% threshold on March 14. Meaning he’d been obligated to disclose his stake back on March 24. By illegally concealing his stake for 11 days, Musk was able to continue buying shares from sellers who didn’t know he was accumulating a huge position. Had he disclosed his shares properly on March 24, TWTR would have shot up 25% then, instead of on April 4, and the shares he bought subsequently would have garnered selling shareholders approximately $150 million more. That’s fraud, and while I have increasingly less confidence in the SEC, Congress has recently beefed up its power to seek disgorgement of ill-gotten gains for securities law violations. Shareholder lawsuits may also be in the offing.

Even if the SEC acts, $150 million is immaterial to Elon. On a relative basis, his entire $2.5 billion investment in Twitter is about the price of a MacBook for the average household. A $150 million fine is buying an extra charger. Takerists such as Elon are exempt from the law — they can buy their own. The rest of us would be left with a Musk-flavored Twitter, which would look similar to the replies to his announcement: a septic tank of crypto scams, far-right blather, and screeching wokeism. For all his complaints about “free speech,” Elon has always been able to speak his mind. Or if not, what hasn’t he said?

Comment

If there is anyone I can take delight at being butt-hurt about Twitter it is that guy.

Comment

I have no idea who he is but I got the impression he thinks he's the good and responsible kind of rich guy.

Comment

Well that is a key difference, he is a clinical Professor at my alma matter. The stories are near endless.

Comment

Originally posted by Prof. Galloway View Post
                                          The rest of us would be left with a Musk-flavored Twitter, which would look similar to the replies to his announcement: a septic tank of crypto scams, far-right blather, and screeching wokeism.
                                          So, no change, then.

Comment

https://twitter.com/business/status/1518552330161074177?s=20&t=366gpzUdJEWIQE-vIjqzBw

Comment

Oh well.

Comment

Tender offer worked then. There are plenty pretty obvious ways that twitter could be better. Not sure if any of them translate into it being worth $40 billion.

Comment

The board would seem to share your view as to the offer being more than it is worth

Comment

I'm going to assume that my user experience likely won't change at all unless there's some sort of subscription model introduced. But if he reduces moderation as has been promised, then people who I don't know but who I like will probably have a much worse experience, which sucks.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X