X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

plenty of excuses for being fat

1. i am famine-proof
    2. i am somewhat buoyant
    3. my psychic defences of hiding my utter shame behind a facade of being extra jocular mean i am always the life and soul of the party
    4. besides being fat, i'm tall and broad across the shoulders, so people tend not to pick fights with me. if you never saw me topless, you might not even think i was so hideously obese
    5. er..
    6. that's it

anyone else have excuses for being a buttersneak?

No Google results at all for 'buttersneak'. Is that one of your own?

Comment

Living in a country where a half-litre bottle of top-notch beer costs 40p.

Comment

1 - I like beer
        2 - I like pizza
        3 - I like butter
        4 - I like really expensive restaurants
        5 - I like KFC hot wings
        6 - I like Coke
        7 - I don't have any desire to use speed
        8 - I do a fair bit of exercise, but nothing like enough to counter my eating and drinking

Comment

There's really no excuse for number 5, LLR

Comment

I'm terrified of my sexuality so I overeat because my subconscious needs me to make myself disgusting to men, to keep me safe. Also I prefer to be invisible in society;I need to hide my 'true' self beneath layers of fat, to shield me from the outside world.

Either that or, I think chocolate and beer are too nice to give up and life's too short to care. One or the other.

Comment

Am I allowed to say here that I don't see you as noticeably that fat, Lyra? If it doesn't sound too unctuous, you're doing yourself down quite a bit on these threads.

Comment

You are too kind, bless you. I kind of do my best to disguise it with baggy clothes etc, but I really do have quite a problem. I am getting there though in terms of accepting it for what it is - trying to realise that it's not what's important and so on.

Comment

dogbeak wrote:
                  if you never saw me topless, you might not even think i was so hideously obese
                  That sums me up too. Being 16 stone isn't disastrous at 6 foot 3, but the problem is that I've the build of someone who is 13 stone, with 3 stone of superfluous bulk hanging off my belly and man-tits. As long as I steer clear of lycra and sunbathing I can generally get away with it.

Comment

1. Chocolate
                    2. Coke (even diet)
                    3. Biscuits
                    4. Pizza
                    5. Peanut butter sandwiches
                    6. Sweets (I restrain myself to sugar-free Polos, but if I won the lottery I'd live on Maynard's Wine Gums and white chocolate!)
                    7. Cake
                    8. Ice Cream

Despite this list, I hardly ever have the last three and manage to restrain myself with the top five. However, what is currently causing me to change shape more than anything - more than any foodstuffs, in fact - is sitting at fucking computers all day and all evening! I'm just a sad addict and can't help it! I need to comfort myself ...with some chocolate, I think!

Comment

I think we need to replace the word 'excuses' with the word 'reasons'.

Comment

But they're all such good reasons!

-

Comment

You never hear/see the word 'excuse' used in the context of being too skinny. It's just a not so subtle way of making overweight people feel even worse about themselves.

Comment

It's mainly just reacting to the tory policy thread no?

Comment

I eat because carbs seem to calm the persistent buzzing of my anxiety and depression. I don't excercise much because I'm anxious about it.

That's pretty much it.

Comment

it's all a bit of jolly japery in the fine tradition of tribute threads etc.

i remember we did this on o(ld)tf, and i said some very rough things about myself, in the name of exclaimed fun! i just looked it up again and there's some top chuckles on it, mind, especially from the lad ian.64. top notch.

so yeah, there is no excuse for being fat - because there is no fucking need for one.

Comment

I know, I'm just trying to make a point.

Comment

a fine point, too. but i'll roll out my old line from the old thread (because i love it so much) and say i'm not so fat that i'm going to get that heavy on the internet. oh we laughed and laughed.

actually, i knew a guy who had an excuse for being massively underweight. some sort of condition of some sort, he used to eat like a horse and only weighed about seven stone soaking wet. a tactless individual i know asked him if he had "fucking aids or something", and he replied along the lines of "no, i'm just incapable of putting on weight."

i never bothered asking what was wrong with him mind, cos he was a bit of aprick.

ho hum.

Comment

The insulin uptake thing kicks in with a vengeance with andropause (in my case.) It's tough to make the consequent adjustments in diet and exercise. Chiefly because until fairly recently I seemed to be able to eat pretty much what I liked. I never ate junk or fast food or too sugary/salty things but even cutting way down on carbs, and portions doesn't do more than stabilise things. It's a bugger.

Comment

dogbeak wrote:
                                        actually, i knew a guy who had an excuse for being massively underweight. some sort of condition of some sort, he used to eat like a horse and only weighed about seven stone soaking wet.
                                        I've got some of that (well, I weigh 8 1/2 stone at six feet tall). I don't exactly eat like a horse but I certainly don't under-eat either. I've just remained practically the same weight since I was about 16. Although I do gain about half a stone every time I visit Argentina, so I reserve the right to balloon hilariously when I actually move there...

Comment

E10 Rifle wrote:
                                          Am I allowed to say here that I don't see you as noticeably that fat, Lyra? If it doesn't sound too unctuous, you're doing yourself down quite a bit on these threads.
                                          It's funny; now you say that I realise I've been wondering, at some level, whether I'm "allowed" to say that as well. Why is that, I wonder.

Comment

Femme Folle wrote:
                                            You never hear/see the word 'excuse' used in the context of being too skinny. It's just a not so subtle way of making overweight people feel even worse about themselves.
                                            A lot of truth in that. There's a huge, and unjustificable, overlap between the discourse of dieting and that of morality, particularly as each applies to women. I suspect this mostly reflects fucked-up attitudes, but I'm sure it also serves, at least to some extent, to validate and sustain them.

Comment

Anyway: I'm overweight because I eat and drink too much, and I do that because it's pleasurable.

Comment

I blame cheese...

Comment

If the day comes when a doctor, whose opinion you trust, says "Wyatt, if you don't cut back on [insert relevant comestibles] you risk shortening your life considerably." Do you know how you'll respond? Will there come a point where the pleasure isn't worth the risk to yourself — and the worry to your friends and family?

This isn't a loaded question by the way, it's something I wrestle with myself.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X