So, Macedonia then

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, Macedonia then

Does anyone have a good overview of what is going on? Or a decent english language news site?

Encouraged by the rousing success of Levin's opening gambit, selfish reasons tipped me over the edge to revive this thread. This September, my significant other and I will each present a paper at a European conference in Skopje. The conference lasts from Monday till Friday, so obviously we're spending the weekends before and after in that same city playing the tourist. Does anyone have a good overview of what is going on? Or a decent English language news site? Thanks much in advance for any insider or informed outsider tips.

Comment

No idea what's going on but I really enjoyed my three day visit to Skopje to watch Wales back in 2013. €1 Mojitos at almost every bar was a massive help to help forget the football too!

... as you were ...

Comment

Lake Ohrid and the surrounding area is meant to be beautiful and cheap. That's according to my brother in law, I've not got any other proof though.

Comment

I haven't been since it was part of Yugoslavia . . .

Comment

The Social Democrats were, finally, allowed to form a government supported by the Albanian party, so political stability has been restored.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assemb...c_of_Macedonia
            Last edited by Diable Rouge; 27-06-2017, 18:15.

Comment

Had a fairly scary acquaintance who had been conscripted into the Macedonian Army. They spent most of the conflict with Albania whacked out of it on heroin doled out by the officers apparently. I guess that's one way of keeping thousands of unwilling combatants in line, might also be how the casualty (if not displacement) figures were so low. Think he ran away during the unpleasantness, I guess he'll never be able to go back without fun times in jail.

Comment

I thought those "tactics" went out with the Vietnam War.

Did they also threaten to drag any officers who didn't play Along?

Comment

well the KLA are Europe's main heroin importers, so it's not like it's awkward to lay your hands on.

Comment

I'm going Skopje for the Super Cup. 1 Euro Mojitos?!

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                      I thought those "tactics" went out with the Vietnam War.

Did they also threaten to drag any officers who didn't play Along?
                      Well to say this guy was full of shit would be putting it mildly. But as Berba says the means would be there, and if you're keeping a ridiculously oversized armed unprofessional army from desertion, mutiny or engagement you can't really risk, maybes the poppy would be a way to do that. Mibees it was just his Regiment, company, platoon (I don't really know what these words mean exactly but think they're diminishing in size) that did this, maybe he was the fucker selling smack to the sodjers. All I know is you'd be a brave eejit to get forensic on his Tales of The Homeland.

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
                        Lake Ohrid and the surrounding area is meant to be beautiful and cheap. That's according to my brother in law, I've not got any other proof though.
                        It is indeed both beautiful and extremely cheap.

Comment

Working...
                        X