Chimeneas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chimeneas

Thought this was some sort of Greek word, like chimera or something, a mythical clay beast what heats your house up by burning wood in it's hollow belly, but looking at it it's probably just means chimney doesn't it?

Anyone got any experience of these things? I'm looking at getting one for my new yard. Get a chimenea, some of them lantern things, a few plants, a chair to sit on, somewhere to place my brew/Vimto/Tyskie, be lovely that.

Or maybe a fire pit, but they seem more expensive, and the cat would probably jump in it, the little massive idiot.

Basically, I want to set fire to shit*. Any advice?

*Not literal shit

Chimeneas

I'm gonna put one in my living room.

Comment

Chimeneas

It's a much nicer word than chimney though. Had friends in 90s Barcelona almost croak themselves when the metallic paint their tiny indoor chimenea/heater/Chestnut roaster type thing was coated with started burning fumes in the heat. But it looked great! Had a pipe to the roof though so not the full rustic.

So, go clay, go unpainted. Maybe you could cook naan on it when the fire eases a bit. Or at least scabby pitta.

Comment

Chimeneas

As I increasingly fail to understand the world or anything in it, the first thing that comes to mind about these things is that if you need some kind of heating to sit in the garden then it's too cold to sit in the garden - go indoors. See also cooking things in your garden, twelve feet from your kitchen.

Comment

Chimeneas

They're quite nice to fire up on evenings where it's warm enough to sit out in coats. We haven't got one, but my sister-in-law has, and we'll often sit out at her house, burning things. There's something quite primeval about poking bits of wood into a fire. Also very handy for getting rid of old paperwork, final demands for payment from the gas board, that kind of thing.

If you go for a pot one, there is a risk that it will be flawed and crack, especially if it rains while it's still red-hot. That happened to one of theirs they'd paid a few hundred quid for, my brother-in-law took it back to the garden centre and the bloke just shrugged and said "yeah, that happens". So I'd get a metal one.

Comment

Chimeneas

We had one at the old house, thinking of going fire pit soon. They're great but a pain if they full up with water while ashy.

Comment

Chimeneas

Cor bloimie Mayory Parpins, this fred's in a right 2/8, me old choinah

Comment

Chimeneas

I've got a brazier you can have if you like? The previous owners left it here.

Comment

Chimeneas

We used to have one. A bit of a fad, you could pay quite a lot of money for one, use it once or twice then put it in the back of the shed with other crap you thought was a good idea at the time like electric toothbrushes or car valet kits.

I mean, if you still fancy a drink and it's getting cold outside then go back indoors. It's not going to make you Bear Grylls or anything if you put the chimenea on and stay outside, despite what Good Housekeeping tells you.

Comment

Chimeneas

Errorist Sympathiser wrote: As I increasingly fail to understand the world or anything in it, the first thing that comes to mind about these things is that if you need some kind of heating to sit in the garden then it's too cold to sit in the garden - go indoors. See also cooking things in your garden, twelve feet from your kitchen.
                    Word.

Comment

Chimeneas

I beg Errorist Sympathiset's pardon. Inadvertently, I more or less replicated the theme of his post.

Comment

Chimeneas

Electric toothbrushes are brilliant you madman.

Comment

Chimeneas

hobbesian rightness.

Comment

Chimeneas

Tony C wrote: We used to have one. A bit of a fad, you could pay quite a lot of money for one, use it once or twice then put it in the back of the shed with other crap you thought was a good idea at the time like electric toothbrushes or car valet kits.

I mean, if you still fancy a drink and it's getting cold outside then go back indoors. It's not going to make you Bear Grylls or anything if you put the chimenea on and stay outside, despite what Good Housekeeping tells you.
                            Fire looks nice, though.

Comment

Working...
                            X