Humans exploring the oceans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whilst in Oslo, we went to the Thor Heyerdahl Kon-Tiki museum. Heyerdahl, for those who (like me) only vaguely remember him from his appearances on Blue Peter in the 1970s, was an [strike]absolute nutter[/strike] adventurer who set out from Peru on a balsa wood raft to prove that it was possible for people from there to have sailed to - and populated - the Polynesian islands, something consistent with local myth and legend, and carvings of ships with sails on ancient Easter Island statues.

100 days and a potentially fatal grounding onto a coral atoll later, Heyerdahl and his crew had proved that the Pacific oceanic currents would, indeed, have allowed anyone with the wherewithall to survive for 100 days on a raft to have achieved the trip. It offered proof of other oceanic journeys undertaken by cultures previously only speculated about - that Madagascar, for example, was populated from South East Asia, not from Africa, or that North Africans (or other Europeans) might have reached South America - the "white gods" of Inca legend.

All fascinating stuff. And anthropological studies do, it seems, back up some of the theories about how cultures spread across the globe. What troubles me, though, is the lack of motive. When Heyerdahl - or indeed Columbus, before him - set out to sail across an ocean, they knew there was something to aim for (okay, Columbus thought it was China, but he still expected to find it). The first people setting out on some of those journeys could not have known they would ever find any land, or ever be able to get home again. They must have taken their families (or at least female sailors) with them, as well, if they established colonies on the islands they eventually populated. I wonder what the motivation was behind the urge to propel yourself off across a potentially unending ocean? Were these people fleeing, as refugees? Exiled, for some crime or other? Genuine "there must be something over that horizon" explorers? Or, less of a leap of conjecture, did some groups of ancient people simply prefer being out on the expanse of the ocean, living off the sea, to being on land (a bit like Kevin Costner in Waterworld) and did they even really care if they found any?

In James Michener's Hawaii the group that sailed from Polynesia to Hawaii and became its first settlers did so in the name of religious freedom (basically). I'm not sure how much historical accuracy there is in that however, since I suspect nobody really knows

Comment

I'm guessing, in a very simplistic sense, it's the desire to find your own land, separate from that which you currently share. Or perhaps life was bloody hard where they came from.

Actually if you think about it the argument can be used just as much for long distance human land migrations. Just been reading Guns, Germs & Steel which is great on all this stuff.

Comment

Sits wrote: I'm guessing, in a very simplistic sense, it's the desire to find your own land, separate from that which you currently share. Or perhaps life was bloody hard where they came from.
        To survive for at least 100 days they would need provisions, including (quite vitally) fresh water, to last for at least a 100 days, given they would be stepping/sailing into the unknown.

To me, that puts a question mark on 'life was bloody hard' as there would have had to have been plentiful supply to allow a group of people to p1$$ it up the wall on a potential suicide mission, or missions.

Here's an off the wall thought, perhaps the urge could have been driven by the migration of sea birds. If these people were fishermen, they could potentially observe that seabirds arrived from out to sea, which could lead the fishermen to believe that the birds came from land across the sea or outside of their fishing 'boundaries'.

Comment

It's curious that we look for a different set of motivations than those that we have. A bunch of guys back then was the same as a bunch of guys now. One guys says "What do you reckon there's something out there/over there/behind there?" and another guys says "Let's go check it out." Seaside cultures had marine capabilities; just more rudimentary than us. And who knows how many attempts were made on balsa rafts before one or two succeeded.

Comment

This article was linked on Longform. It's about the sailors in the Marshall Island who can, quite literally, 'read' waves and navigate vast distances without [modern] navigational aids.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/20/magazine/the-secrets-of-the-wave-pilots.html?_r=0

Comment

WOM wrote: It's curious that we look for a different set of motivations than those that we have. A bunch of guys back then was the same as a bunch of guys now. One guys says "What do you reckon there's something out there/over there/behind there?" and another guys says "Let's go check it out." Seaside cultures had marine capabilities; just more rudimentary than us. And who knows how many attempts were made on balsa rafts before one or two succeeded.
              I don't know about you, but as it was getting dark on day one, I'd be giving it 'nah, there's nothing out there, just sea. Let's head back we might catch the end of the match'

Comment

My dad got me hooked on stuff like Thor Heyerdahl's expedition from an early age. Totally in his wheelhouse, and I'm the same.

To this day, probably 1 in 3 books that I read involves someone fucking off on some kind of expedition (which usually ends badly) out of curiosity or a sense of adventure.

Just yesterday I was (again) toying with buying Danny Liska's Two Wheels To Adventure, which I'm certainly not paying $50 for...unless of course I pay $50 for it.

Comment

Very good on 'humans exploring the oceans" is Barrow's Boys: A Stirring Story of Daring, Fortitude, and Outright Lunacy which I'm in and out of at the moment. Sheer, brilliant stupidity from beginning to end.

"Where do you figure this river goes?"

"Dunno...let's find out."

Everyone dies. Etc.

Comment

Another interesting aspect to this is that when they found land, they didn't decide to build a new raft and sail back. They stayed there. Which to me, kind of implies the journey was so terrible and they were so grateful to achieve landfall that they decided to stick it out.

I could buy the idea of people following migrating birds and possibly sea mammals as well. Whether they intended going so far is another question altogether.

Comment

Working...
                    X