Flying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flying

Malmö Aviation. Ain't nobody named that yet. Deciding that the name Malmö Aviation is not internationally suitable, they recently renamed themselves BRA. Had Transavia been named? I flew them once.

Singapore Airlines was probably my favourite. Like a flying cocktail bar. Just found the flight attendants a bit too enthusiastic and friendly... like their whole life was building up to the moment when they could finally serve you. Just act normal, I'm a catholic and I can't handle that kind of service. And what happens to the flight attendants on Singapore Airlines after they turn 30? Does a red ruby implanted in their hand start glowing red?

Comment

Flying

First flight was when I was about six months old to visit some clients of my dad in Spain. I have incredibly vague memories of the flight and the house we stayed in - I remembered without being told that the bedrooms were downstairs and the kitchen upstairs, and when I volunteered this information to my mum a few years ago (having always thought I was already 2 or so when the trip happened) she couldn't believe it. Possibly it got mentioned at some point when I was a little older and I implanted the memory.

Can't remember that airline, obviously, but the ones I have done since are:

BA
      Alaska
      EasyJet
      Some charter one to Cyprus, I think from Thomson
      Air France
      Lufthansa
      Alitalia
      Virgin Atlantic
      Air Canada
      TAM

Giggler wrote: all four gals coming in the first half from Mark Carter.
      That's one way to keep the fans onside.

Comment

Flying

Cathay Pacific
        British Airways
        Qantas
        Ansett
        Tiger
        Virgin
        Jetstar
        Singapore
        Malaysian
        Air Asia
        Thai Airways
        Royal Jordanian
        Qatar
        KLM
        Royal Brunei
        EasyJet
        Etihad (to come) on the new Dreamliner apparently
        Plus a few trips on RAF planes. Shackleton. Nimrod. Chipmunk and Husky

Comment

Flying

ursus arctos wrote:
          the other Paris airport which isn't Orly or CdG
          Le Bourget, I assume (unless we are using Ryanair standards, in which case Beauvais counts).
          That's it, Beauvais. This was a cheap package. Like GO, we were told we were flying to "Paris".

Comment

Flying

I'd forgotten I've also flown Norwegian (to Oslo). Very pleasant journey from what I remember.

Comment

Flying

A quick countback has me at around 30 airlines. Not quite at Ursus or Ad Hoc levels.

I still bring a handful of new ones

LIAT and WinAir in the Caribbean
              Air Namibia in Africa
              And Lauda Air in Europe, but I think it was merging with Austrian at that point so the lines were blurred.

Comment

Flying

A bit more legwork confirmed that we did, indeed, have a discount charter called "Royal" operating here for a decade or so. So that's on my list as well.

Comment

Flying

And now Kingfisher claims its accounts were nicked by an unpaid supplier.

Comment

Flying

Potential new additions to the list (have only skimmed over it) - Lao Airlines, Air China, Aegean Airlines, whatever the Hapag Lloyd low cost was called (HLX maybe), TUIfly, [strike]Air Berlin[/strike], Icelandair.

Also Logan Air and Stobart Air, operating on behalf of BA and Aer Lingus.

I've flown Kingfisher without much incident thankfully.

Northwest Orient was the first airline I ever flew, from Prestwick to Los Angeles via Boston (change) and Detroit. It all seemed terribly glamorous.

Re the defunct charters, I flew one coming back from Los Angeles to Manchester in about 1990 which stopped in Bangor, Maine for refueling - may have been Globespan? Anyway I'd booked both ways with them but there was some reason why I couldn't go on the outward flight so I got moved onto Virgin Atlantic when it had just started flying to LA and, as noted above, were trying hard to impress.

Comment

Flying

A few weeks ago I was suprised (and delighted) to receive a nice card from Easyjet telling me I had been invited into Flight Club, their invite only frequent flyer club....

Handy, I need to change flights date today, it is now free for me to do so..

Comment

Flying

Not as comprehensive as some but.

United
                        Northwest
                        Continental
                        Delta
                        Alaska
                        BA (and Loganair operating as them)
                        BMI
                        BMI Baby
                        FlyBe
                        Lufthansa
                        Air New Zealand
                        Virgin Atlantic
                        Virgin America
                        Virgin Little Red (Short lived UK only)
                        Aer Lingus
                        [strike]Bastard[/strike]Ryanair
                        Go*
                        Monarch
                        EasyJet
                        Thomas Cook
                        American

*Ended up on this after Aloha, who we had booked on, went bust shortly before we arrived on Oahu on honeymoon which led to some interesting times. Took off 90 minutes late, managed to lose one item of luggage. Basically, Ryanair with leis.

Long haul, done Lufthansa from Frankfurt to Hong Kong and Munich - Singapore on A380s. Can thoroughly recommend them, especially as we managed to find deals with return flights (from Manchester) for under £500 all in.

Favourite is Air New Zealand though. Got an incredible RTW deal with them and the staff were absolutely awesome.

Comment

Flying

BA
                          Lufthansa
                          Ryanair
                          easyJet
                          Buzz
                          Icelandair
                          Malev
                          Air France
                          Air Baltic
                          Finnair
                          Dan Air
                          Aer Lingus
                          Air Canada
                          Condor
                          US Airways
                          United
                          Adria Airways
                          AirAsia
                          SAS Scandinavian
                          Estonian Air
                          British Caledonian
                          Norwegian
                          Germanwings
                          Iberia

Finnair was probably the best of that lot - had to fly to Helsinki for work a few times and the trips there and back were always very pleasant.

Have had the usual selection of shitty Ryanair experiences, but sometimes the flight times and prices are unbeatable. Although those occasions are now very few and far between.

I don't think Buzz lasted very long, but I flew back to Stansted with them a few times. They offered a fairly late flight on a Friday from Frankfurt, but the service and prices were nothing special.

Comment

Flying

I've flown on many of the airlines mentioned, plus Air Luxor, China Airlines and back in '92 I flew to Barbados on a Carribean carrier I really can't remember the name of. What I do remember is that the flight was pretty much full with the officials and athletes of the Barbados Olympic team.

I've flown on a lot of military aircraft, and went solo in a glider.

Comment

Flying

ursus arctos wrote: Northeast, Eastern, Mohawk, Piedmont, Allegheny, PSA, Western, AirCal, America West, TWA, Northwest Orient, Continental, Midway, World, People's Express.

And that's just the domestic carriers off the top of my head. I'm sure that I am missing some.
                              Allegheny, as a partner with USAir, was the one and only carrier that flew in and out of the old University Park airport that was literally two construction site office trailers and a runway. The planes looked like a Winnebago with wings strapped on.

Now its a small, but real, airport with a tower and United (to Chicago and Dulles) Delta (Detroit) and American (formerly USAirways) (to Philadelphia). Somebody goes to Atlanta too, but I forget which.

USAirways
                              American (mostly since it bought USA)
                              United
                              Northwest
                              Delta (especially since it bought NW, but before too)
                              Icelandic Air
                              Southwest
                              Lufthansa
                              BA
                              Virgin (America, as I recall. It was domestic).
                              Frontier
                              Continental
                              Some shitshow I'm forgetting
                              American Eagle
                              I think I've been on an Alaska Airline as part of a code share with somebody else, but I've never been to Alaska.

Comment

Flying

It was also known as All Agony to those who flew it regularly.

Comment

Flying

ursus arctos wrote: It was also known as All Agony to those who flew it regularly.
                                  To this day, I'm always slightly pleasantly surprised to arrive on-time, to the airport I planned to land, and with my baggage, because growing up that never happened once with any relative who ever flew to visit. My grandma used to fly to see us from Cincinnati via Pittsburgh and was often redirected to Williamsport or Harrisburg or even Moshannon

Comment

Working...
                                  X