Kangaroo meat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kangaroo meat

And all that reminds me of the first time I got drunk, when I was 16. The next day we went for lunch at a fancy restaurant. I was still awfully hung over; my stomach felt like the time I had eaten a whole bunch of those nasty chewing gum balls you get from the machines. And my head wasn't right either.

So I ordered the veal, seeing as I liked veal. And the food came, and with my plate of meat came some fruit jam and mint sauce. Turns out that in my Pernod-and Coke induced hangover I got my baby animals mixed up.

And now I sat there with my plate of lamb, a meat that makes me nauseous, feeling ill and having to eat it because I didn't want to admit that I got my baby animals mixed up.

If ever there was a chance I might acquire the taste for lamb, as I have for other foods which I hated as a kid, it got buried that day after the first time I got drunk.

Comment

Kangaroo meat

Vicarious Thrillseekeur wrote:
      Originally posted by G-Man
      Isn't there some kind of ethical rule that you don't eat carnivores. That sweeps all dog and cars off the menu.
      And chickens too, by your ruling.
      What? Chicken eat other animals? Insects don't count.

Comment

Kangaroo meat

Lots of fish that we eat regularly are pescavores.

It's a weird "rule".

Comment

Kangaroo meat

I think the point is carnivorous mammals taste terrible. But even then, pigs are omnivores and delicious, so I don't know where the line is drawn.

Ostrich and kangaroo are delicious, are good red meat, are not ruminants, and can live in fairly shitty pastures where other beasts would struggle, so they're not taking good arable land and they're not farting nearly as much methane. We should be eating more of them and fewer cows, on the whole.

Comment

Kangaroo meat

I
            ursus arctos wrote: More for Us
            Q: how many lamb chops could you eat?

A: how many can you afford?

I read the motorcycle diaries. And Gerald Darrell in patagonia, at about the same time and the idea of an asada struck me as perhaps the best idea to ever be had in South America

Comment

Kangaroo meat

Oh yes. Even if an asada (at least in messi endorsed Catalan attempts) cooks the shite out of the steak it's still a thing of beauty.

Comment

Kangaroo meat

I will pretty much eat anything. I am a meat-eater. I am not going to start getting pissy about the animals I eat. There was a petition going around about eating cats and/or dogs but I am not sure of the reasoning. Is it really just ickiness or are they treated and killed any less humanely than any other mass-produced animal? I know that both are supposed to taste foul but, again, people say the same about lamb as shown here.

To add to the list, I have eaten alligator. Tastes like chicken.

Comment

Kangaroo meat

If lamb is gamey, or anything other than straight down the line delicious, it's because someone made a hames of castrating the poor unfortunate wether. That poor half castrated lamb is going to taste quite metallic for some inexplicable reason. The natural state of lamb is "about 30% better than beef."

But otherwise it's meat that's easiest to find, that isn't the product of some awful process that renders it semi inedible. Stick a sheep in a shitty patch of mountain, and that fucker will taste pretty much exactly the same as it did in the time of alexander the great.

Beef could in theory be the same (hence the huge premium on angus beef) but 99% of the time it isn't, and unless you live in ireland, or certain parts of the uk countryside, that cow is probably going to have been fed on corn, and never seen the sun.

I don't think I'd eat veal again. It's unnecessary cruelty, for an effect that can be achieved by having more fucking rain than the southern half of france.

Comment

Kangaroo meat

Lang Spoon wrote: Oh yes. Even if an asada (at least in messi endorsed Catalan attempts) cooks the shite out of the steak it's still a thing of beauty.
                    It's asado, and cooking the shit out of it is exactly the Argentine way to do things. They have the best beef in the world but not a clue how to enjoy it properly (the best steak places will do it however you want it, though, and then it's a thing of beauty).

I wish I could get lamb here. Outside Patagonia it's ridiculously expensive and hard to find by local standards.

Comment

Kangaroo meat

Berba and I are going to eat all the little lambs.

Every few years, the firm does a dinner with unlimited lamb chops. I think my record at one sitting is between 10 and 12. I basically don't eat anything else on such occasions.

Comment

Kangaroo meat

good strategy, but do you pick up the bones to finish them off? Or would that be seen as a dangerously aggressive alpha male move worthy of Henry VIII?

Sam, it was the thing of growing hedges around the pits that really got me. I just got this vision of millions of miles of flat land, and the only non, grass vegetation that anyone could see anywhere was an asado pit beside the only house for a million miles.

That's dedication to eating meat.

Comment

Kangaroo meat

I stopped going after the bones in my 40s

I miss them

Comment

Kangaroo meat

I went down to camber sands this weekend just gone and the walk from Rye got me thinking how sad it is that all the amazing agneau de pré-salé from the south of the UK gets sent to France. It's a real pain to find it here but when you do it is beautiful. You get the best meat and then make it even more delicious.

There is a butcher at Borough market that sells welsh marsh lamb but that's the only place I know.

Sainsburys has renamed neck fillet as shoulder fillet for some unknown reason.

Comment

Kangaroo meat

I was going to mention that salty lamb. I'd love to eat some of that.

Ursus that's the saddest and maddest things I've ever read. One normally gives up cocaine, or sky diving, or skiing in ones forties. When I'm cooking for my parents they insist on at least three side loin chops each, and my mam insists on getting all the bones. And she's in her seventies. Be brave.

Comment

Kangaroo meat

I wish I could get lamb here. Outside Patagonia it's ridiculously expensive and hard to find by local standards.
                                I had quite a lot of lamb in Argentina, mostly around Salta.

Comment

Kangaroo meat

Horse. That is something I have never knowingly eaten and will remedy that during the Euros.

Comment

Kangaroo meat

We need Ad Hoc on this thread.

Comment

Kangaroo meat

In June 2014, a report ... found that shooters rarely euthanized young-at-foot dependent joeys and left them to die in the field for up to 10 days. It also found that many shooters swung pouch joeys against their trucks to kill them. It also reported on research into the effectiveness of bolt guns to kill joeys - and found that not one of the 23 live joeys was killed outright; with 13 out of 23 joeys not rendered completely insensible.
                                      Shooters aim for the head, but kangaroos have small heads. With animals hopping in all directions, many are shot and suffer horrendous injuries. Mouths are blown off, they lose eyes, have arms/legs shot off and try to hobble away on one foot or suffer internal injuries.
                                      http://www.savethekangaroo.com/factsheet

Comment

Kangaroo meat

Reed John wrote: We need Ad Hoc on this thread.
                                        not sure if you do, but I do know from bitter experience that I don't need to get involved in this thread

Comment

Kangaroo meat

S'alright, no-one's mentioned cheese...

Comment

Kangaroo meat

la bleue wrote:
                                            In June 2014, a report ... found that shooters rarely euthanized young-at-foot dependent joeys and left them to die in the field for up to 10 days. It also found that many shooters swung pouch joeys against their trucks to kill them. It also reported on research into the effectiveness of bolt guns to kill joeys - and found that not one of the 23 live joeys was killed outright; with 13 out of 23 joeys not rendered completely insensible.
                                            Shooters aim for the head, but kangaroos have small heads. With animals hopping in all directions, many are shot and suffer horrendous injuries. Mouths are blown off, they lose eyes, have arms/legs shot off and try to hobble away on one foot or suffer internal injuries.
                                            http://www.savethekangaroo.com/factsheet
                                            Exactly. What is wrong with people?

Comment

Kangaroo meat

We're a fucking pointless species, with no need at all to be eating meat or inflicting pain on creatures and the sooner we all go the better it'll be for all the other inhabitants of the planet?

Comment

Kangaroo meat

G-Man wrote:
                                                Originally posted by Vicarious Thrillseekeur
                                                Originally posted by G-Man
                                                Isn't there some kind of ethical rule that you don't eat carnivores. That sweeps all dog and cars off the menu.
                                                And chickens too, by your ruling.
                                                What? Chicken eat other animals? Insects don't count.
                                                Our chickens used to terrorise the dogs and eat their food out of the bowls.

Comment

Working...
                                                X