Kangaroo meat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kangaroo meat

Lidl have a 2 for 1 offer on frozen Kangaroo steaks, so I took the plunge. Sra. Stev9e refused to eat it last night, so I've just finished hers off for lunch. It's quite nice, has a slight gamey/liver-y taste to it, but if I didn't know it was kangaroo, I would've just thought it was steak.

Further research on wikipedia leads to claims that it is really low in fat, anti-carcinogenic and environmentally a good meat to eat for numerous reasons. Ethically, it's no worse than eating any other farmed meat (actually, probably better as the Kangaroos are wild and killed as part of population control). There are also "Kangastarians" who are vegetarians who make an exception to kanagaroo meat due to its low environmental impact.

Key issue is people don't like to eat things that are cute. Nor do they like to eat things which aren't cute, ie, grasshoppers, snails etc.

My tolerant attitude to what I eat changed greatly when I lived abroad. Offal? Bring it on. Fish heads? They're the best bit! The west really has become spoiled and overly fussy when it comes to food, hasn't it?

Kangaroo meat

Kangaroos aren't cute. They're vicious fuckers. I saw a chap get attacked by one once, ended up with massive gouges down both of his legs. (Australian animals are all vicious, I reckon: I was once attacked by a koala.)

Kangaroo meat is nice. I'd happily eat that or most of the other 'non-standard' meats, although I'm not sure about the environmental implications of eating crocodile, ostrich, etc. I can't quite bring myself to eat insects or grubs, though. Maybe if they were minced into a filling.

Snails I've had once and couldn't taste anything but the overpowering garlic sauce they were served in. Oysters I quite liked but I've no idea why, normally I hate any food with a slippery or gelatinous texture.

Comment

Kangaroo meat

I think that "the US and UK" likely work better here than "the West", but you are right. There's also class signaling going on, with people deciding that they now that they can afford more expensive cuts, they shouldn't have to eat the other stuff anymore (my parents' extended families were big on this bit).

Anyone who has been near the receiving end of a roo's ire will never again describe them as cute. Disney has some Splainin' to do.

Comment

Kangaroo meat

Crusoe wrote: I was once attacked by a koala.
        Drop bear?

Comment

Kangaroo meat

ursus arctos wrote:
          Anyone who has been near the receiving end of a roo's ire will never again describe them as cute. Disney has some Splainin' to do.
          A.A. Milne started it!

Comment

Kangaroo meat

Gangster Octopus wrote:
            Originally posted by Crusoe
            I was once attacked by a koala.
            Drop bear?
            Ha, no, a real one.

Comment

Kangaroo meat

You can find Ostrich at Tesco, quite nice too. Veal (of the humanely reared variety) is also now regularly available.

Comment

Kangaroo meat

Milne created the characters, but the worldwide cultural impact of the Disney versions (which differ in important ways) is about a hundred times greater.

Comment

Kangaroo meat

I had bison steak at a restaurant a while ago.
                  It was bloody marvellous.

Comment

Kangaroo meat

steveeeeeeeee wrote: Ethically, it's no worse than eating any other farmed meat (actually, probably better as the Kangaroos are wild and killed as part of population control).
                    Well, aside from the fact that it's not exactly locally sourced.

Comment

Kangaroo meat

I ate something claiming to be zebra a few months ago.

But yes, kangaroo's quite nice, albeit it's quite a strong flavour.

Comment

Kangaroo meat

Was it claiming to be a zebra while you ate it?
                        Bit brutal, that.

Comment

Kangaroo meat

hobbes wrote: I had bison steak at a restaurant a while ago.
                          It was bloody marvellous.
                          Q. What's the difference between an Australian bison and a Canadian bison?

A. You can't wash your face in a Canadian bison.

Comment

Kangaroo meat

Key issue is people don't like to eat things that are cute
                            People love eating lamb. OK, maybe not Americans, but everyone else.

Comment

Kangaroo meat

Ginger Yellow wrote:
                              How can you say no to such a cute little lamb?

Comment

Kangaroo meat

Ginger Yellow wrote:
                                My ex-partner once cooked off a box of 8 frozen lamb chops. And proceeded to eat all 8 in one sitting. Me, I can't stand the stuff. A weird gaminess that I can't abide. Duck, too.

Comment

Kangaroo meat

More for Us

Comment

Kangaroo meat

I'm trying to go veg. As time goes on, I just can't look at meat without thinking about where it comes from and when I do that, I don't want to eat it. I don't care if the animal is cute or not. It wanted to live free and we put it in a box, stuffed it full of grain and then slaughtered it.

I'm ambivalent about fish.

Wallabies are cute. Kangaroos can be nasty but that's because somebody was stepping to them. Humankind has invaded their home and mistreated them. They're just trying to procreate.

Check out this swole fucker.
                                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFCvPrzj4BU

Comment

Kangaroo meat

I've eaten kangaroo, emu, bison, and zebra, like most who've ever been to a farmer's market in the UK recently. There's always someone selling all of the above.

I'd never had reindeer, until we were sat in the market in Helsinki last week. Very nice it was too. Rich (and seasoned, not entirely to my taste) and made into meatballs. Bit like haggis.

One thing I'd never consciously eat is cat (tees up sniggers from the Jim Davidson row at the back about what the Golden Dragon put in their chicken chow mein).

Comment

Kangaroo meat

Hmmmm.

In my experience, reindeer is much more like venison. We had a nice Reindeer Bolognese in Tampere. Impala is similar, though perhaps even more dense.

Comment

Kangaroo meat

What they'd seasoned it reminded me of haggis, ursus. The meat, yeah, is very much like venison (well it would be, I guess).

Comment

Kangaroo meat

Yeah, they must have added a good deal of things to the meatballs (I think that you have to in order for them to hold together properly).

Comment

Kangaroo meat

Isn't there some kind of ethical rule that you don't eat carnivores. That sweeps all dog and cars off the menu.

I don't like to experiment with meats. Ostrich is as exotic I've tried. But if I was in a situation where refusing the offer of food would be considered a lethal insult, I'd probably draw he line at monkey meat.

In a situation where it isn't, I'd turn down your lamb. I hate the taste and fattiness of lamb. It's nut that I object to eating baby animals; I'm quite fond of veal.

Comment

Kangaroo meat

If I had to eat a car, I'd go for a Jaguar. Ho ho.

Anyway. I've eaten kangaroo and found it very pleasant; I wouldn't recommend ordering it rare though.

Comment

Kangaroo meat

G-Man wrote: Isn't there some kind of ethical rule that you don't eat carnivores. That sweeps all dog and cars off the menu.
                                                  And chickens too, by your ruling.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X