Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crowded Britain

Headline in The Times yesterday:

"Britain set to be Europe’s most crowded nation as immigrants swell population to 77 million"

I didn't realise they had become the Daily Mail. The use of the word swell is especially charming.

There were also talking about this on 5 Live, how Britain is set to be the most "crowded" nation in the EU.

I though "crowded" had to do with population density, and not absolute population. I seriously doubt Britain is going to have the highest population density in the EU.

"Crowded" is such a BNP word.

Crowded Britain

I seriously doubt Britain is going to have the highest population density in the EU
    I think it's second or third highest already.

Comment

Crowded Britain

A quick google shows that it's already the third highest in Europe (244 per km2) after the Netherlands (393) and Belgium (337).

England already has 383, so it will be the most densely populated country by then if there's some kind of devolution.

I agree on the use of the word "crowded", though.

Comment

Crowded Britain

Fourth, behind Malta, the Netherlands and Belgium. Malta's population density is huge - over three times that of the next highest. Big surprise, that.

Comment

Crowded Britain

Excellent more people to pay my pension.

I agree about The Times headline and the word crowded.

Comment

Crowded Britain

I thought we were all going to be saddled with old gits like Tubby stubbornly refusing to die and taking up all the room.

Old people. They're the housing equivalent of bed blockers.

Comment

Crowded Britain

You're still stuck with us.

AB, what explains the German population drop?

Comment

Crowded Britain

hazarding a guess: death.

Comment

Crowded Britain

what explains the German population drop?
                  They've all nipped over the border so they can smoke.

Comment

Crowded Britain

The way to get rid of the old people problem is to lower taxes on cigs and booze and also to stop worrying that we're all eating ourselves into an early grave, fat lardy fatpants that we all are.

Comment

Crowded Britain

Bryantop wrote:
                      I didn't realise they had become the Daily Mail.
                      The Times has always been a right-wing paper, even leaving to one side the fact that News Corporation owns it. Not as right-wing as the Mail, for sure, but it's no surprise to see them running stuff like this.

Comment

Crowded Britain

Stumpy Pepys wrote:
                        Which border? (seriously)

Comment

Crowded Britain

I'm not sure about that. I've read a couple of good articles in there when I go round to a friend of mine's house. On one day there were two articles ridiculing both "Broken Britain" and the idea that it could be fixed without spending any money. Perhaps that was a further right-wing attack on Cameron but it seemed constructive enough to me.

Comment

Crowded Britain

gerontophile wrote:
                            Stumpy Pepys wrote:
                            Which border? (seriously)
                            Well, when they want a bit of space, it's usually Poland...

Comment

Crowded Britain

Hieronymus of Hesselink wrote:
                              Bryantop wrote:
                              I didn't realise they had become the Daily Mail.
                              The Times has always been a very right-wing paper, even leaving to one side the fact that News Corporation owns it. Not quite as right-wing as the Mail, for sure, but it's no surprise to see them running stuff like this.
                              In the last few years (since Labour took over), they have tried to be as liberal as possible. I buy it at weekends (Sunday is a different entity, I only buy it for sport) but recently, they have retracted into the shithole Rupert-fest that it previously was.

I cant wait for that twat to die. He is the bastards' bastard.

Comment

Crowded Britain

Really GO? You can still smoke in a bar, there? Lucky buggers.

Comment

Crowded Britain

I buy the Irish edition of the Sunday Times solely for the sport section too, much to my shame.

Their GAA coverage is very good. Unfortunately they have that illiterate wanker Rod Liddle sitting in for McIlvanney at the moment.

Comment

Crowded Britain

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
                                    I'm not sure about that. I've read a couple of good articles in there when I go round to a friend of mine's house. On one day there were two articles ridiculing both "Broken Britain" and the idea that it could be fixed without spending any money. Perhaps that was a further right-wing attack on Cameron but it seemed constructive enough to me.
                                    Dare I say it: Middle-class person in 'caught' shock.

You dont actually believe any of it Tubby? Say it aint so...

Comment

Crowded Britain

Are we talking about the 'English' Times, HoH?

Comment

Crowded Britain

Oh you said Liddle... as you were

Comment

Crowded Britain

Well clearly there's arseholes in there, and it's right wing. But it seemed better than the other right wing papers. So I can understand where Bryan's coming from.

Or do you mean that I have a friend that reads it? It's his 90 year old mum who does. I considered taxing her out of it but decided to draw the line.

Comment

Crowded Britain

gerontophile wrote:
                                            Are we talking about the 'English' Times, HoH?
                                            Yes -- the Sunday Times has an Irish edition (i.e. it's the same paper with about 10 pages of Irish content in the news section, another five or six pages of it in the sport section, a few more in the Culture magazine, and an Irish-oriented property supplement).

Comment

Crowded Britain

It's all a bit silly this overcrowding business. What does it mean? We have less farms than France - so what? We are an industrial nation. We can fit 8m people into London's 609 square miles. Which is less than 0.7% of the UK area.

On the same density as London we could support a population of 1.3 Billion people, halfway between the populations of India and China.

Comment

Crowded Britain

We get it at woerk and my father-in-law gets The Sunday Times so I often read it. It does have excellent sports coverage. Beats the shit out of The Observer for rugby coverage.

Comment

Crowded Britain

erm Tubbs, not quoting, but you said better than other right wing papers. You dont have to prove yourself, but, if you have read lots (of right wing papers), or indeed, you think that I am taking the piss, please say so.

You open the door, you see the light, you walk toward it.

(on the other thread, I agree and disagree, but here, you are being honest. Which is nice. Honesty is lovely)

Comment

Working...
                                                  X