Advice for the newly tonsorially challenged

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As Ray De Galles has been delighting in telling people for, at least, two years now, I am going bald. Now it is noticeable even to those that don't tower over me. I am not bothered really as I am nearly 50. However, I am not entirely sure where to go on the barbering front. In the last couple of months, I have grown the top long-ish and it is swept back. However, it is now a touch long and I do feel that is a bit of a front to back Bobby Charlton. The three birds eye view (were the bird to be in my bathroom) photos below show the current state of play. The first is with all the hair combed down to show the full extent of the denuding, the second one is with it all combed straight back and the third is with a slight sideways combing but, having seen it, it may not be one I carry on.

Now, much common advice is to shave the head completely or down to a number 1 or 2 grade skinhead all over. I would be happy to do the former but not only has my noggin got a selection of nubbins and moles but it is also the strangest shape going with a sort of shelf at the back from being a breach birth. Also, I hate shaving so the idea of doing my whole head every week irks me.

I could go with the closely cropped all over but, again, that would accentuate that odd shape of my pate and, also, I have never quite seen the logic of less covering of hair making one's bald patch less obvious. Anyway, I expect we have a fair few posters with various different levels of baldness and different approaches to the same who can advice me.

Go to Istanbul and get some implants, they do it well and cheaper than Western Europe. You'll also get the chance to see an amazing city.

Comment

backcomb it.

Comment

I am confused. The top one looks best, partly because the other two look like someone consciously trying to hide they are going bald.

Comment

That's what I was worried about.

You didn't see the side and front views with the hair combed down. I look like Friar Tuck.

Comment

By the way, the combed back hairstyle has been a long term fixture, not one just for trying to hide my bald patch.

Comment

Working...
            X