Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OTF classic/vintage cars - meet-ups + care&share?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm terrible in that I've never bothered to keep up with vintage/classic car meets, despite loving cars.

Thus, I thought I'd start (yet another) thread devoted to cars - this time in order to alert each other to car meetings and even the possibility of OTF-related meet-ups at such events.

Having only just googled for such stuff, I'm gutted that I missed out on this, yesterday, seeing as it's almost on my doorstep, relatively-speaking.

However, I did find these two useful websites for such stuff:

http://www.oldtimertips.co.uk/?lang=en

http://www.classicshowsuk.co.uk/

...And thus I think I might pop down the road for this one, which might be the first of this summer's meets there. After that, the Merrist Wood Classic Car Show leaps out at me as one that is eminently do-able.

Before that - this coming week, in fact - for those in the South-West, there's the Vintage Nostalgia Show at Stockton Park, in Wiltshire.

Anyway... anyone up for such stuff (in the central South) let me know. And of course please use this thread for similar meet-up discussion elsewhere in the UK.

Please use this thread for letting other OTFers know of other car-related events of interest in your areas - wherever that might be.

You didn't miss out, Clive- it's not for a month.

Comment

Nefertiti2 wrote: You didn't miss out, Clive- it's not for a month.
      D'oh!

Whoo-hoo!

(To paraphrase)

(I *am* drunk, by the way, so that's my excuse!)

Comment

The Bath Festival Of Motoring looks good on 18-19 June but I think I am going to be in France then.

Comment

Oh, and, of course, I can heartily recommend the Goodwood Revival to the list despite it being a Telegraph Help For Heroes UKIP annual conference.

Here is the start of my report from last year.

Comment

I'm not really one for car shows, much prefer live action with some static displays scattered around for admiring during the lunch break. For those of you who like to watch the oldies racing and are in the vicinity of Wiltshire, the Castle Combe Autumn classic race meeting on October 1st looks good - albeit potentially subject to the vagaries of the weather, so late in the year.

Comment

Nefertiti2 wrote: You didn't miss out, Clive- it's not for a month.
              Well, I went! :-)

(I hope everyone can access that album?)

Comment

Yes Evil.

Lovely Bristol!

Comment

I don't recall a Bristol! I'll have to go through them again, now!

Comment

I should have worn sunblock. I look like a plum!

Comment

Its number 112, and I am likely wrong. (I actually meant Morgan, but it's not one of those either. Third time lucky guess at Wolseley?)

Comment

(I'd forgotten the photos are 'numbered' by Facebook when you upload them into a folder!)

That is an AC ...although I had no idea of what model when I took the photo, as I'd never seen one before!

So I just had a look in the programme (yes, I bought a programme!) and the only thing I can match it up to is "2 Litre Sports Tourer". Apparently there were only 30 made, which would explain why I'd never seen one before!

Also, if it is indeed that 'Sports Tourer' (and the Google results seem to verify that it is) then - rather incredibly - it dates from 1953. From it's looks, I would have said it was pre-war. Still - if that's correct, it goes to show how British industries were struggling to innovate in the post-war years, compared to some other countries.

Comment

Lovely selection there Clive, something for everyone.

Comment

Thank you, Sits!

Slightly bizarrely, the car which has received the most love (in terms of Facebook likes and comments) is the bloody Isetta!

There's a few others there that I was almost loathe to include, as I knew they would get all the attention: the VW Karmann Ghia, the Merc 300SL, the two Citroen DS19s. The 'fetishised' cars, basically. It's just that my non-conformity stretches to cars too, I suppose, and what others flock to, I tend to cast a colder eye over.

I'm trying to think what my favourite car there was! I think it was probably the Aston Martin DB2/4. I'd never seen one before and it looked surprisingly stylish (from the front!) as it rolled towards me. The way they had rendered the grille on that early model seems to be what inspired that recent DB10:

-

-

-

I think it's the 'hard edges' above the grille that cause that impression.

Comment

That DB10 is a bit of a minx.

And no, not a Hillman.

Comment

That yolk orange Muira is something else.

Comment

I haven't been but, all weekend, there has been an Austin A30 festival here which has meant there have been a fair few of these around Bath.

Comment

Bordeaux Education wrote: I haven't been but, all weekend, there has been an Austin A30 festival here which has meant there have been a fair few of these around Bath.

For those who like the Austin A30/A35, then this year's Goodwood revival is going to be compulsive viewing, as the St. Mary's Trophy is going to be contested by a full grid of them - all identical! Now, that is going to be mental! I do hope they show extended highlights of it at the very least, on telly. More here.

Comment

linus wrote: That yolk orange Muira is something else.
                                      They had one of these on Jay Leno's Garage last night. I didn't know there were only 764 or so of them built.

Comment

évilC wrote:
                                        Originally posted by Nefertiti2

Prompting me for a userid and password?

Comment

Guy Profumeau wrote:
                                          Originally posted by évilC
                                          Originally posted by Nefertiti2

Prompting me for a userid and password?
                                          Me too - not on FB so suspect that may be my issue?

Anyway - I was at Oulton Park on Saturday, principally to see the British GTs, but there was also a race for pre-66 Sports and GT cars which had a lovely variety of cars in it. I took a few pics...

How sideways can you get a Cooper Bobtail?

The spartan interior of Robert Bremner's Cobra

Jaguar XK120

Jaguar Mk.2

Eclectic variety coming into Old Hall

Comment

Heh!

I hadn't checked until this afternoon, but it turned out that I'd bought one of the 'lucky programmes' at the Haslemere show! So I emailed them and they've just mailed me back, with this list of lovely prizes I can choose from:

• MoT at Arnolds Garage

• paac IT Computer Service

• Super Hand Polish from A&S Hand Car Wash

• Family day out at Winkworth Arboretum & cream tea for 2

• Takeaway set menu for 2 from Madhuban 2 Go

• £10 Voucher for Bells Butchers

• £10 Voucher for The Good Fish Shop

•1 months family membership to Haslemere & Edge leisure centres

• Photo frames & album from Raymond Reid Photo

• 3 Plant pot stand from The Original Factory Shop

• Toys from the Entertainer (weaving set and make your own Monopoly)

I can't stop chuckling about that list now! I suppose it's quite quaint, really. I never normally win anything, either.

I have to admit - and I'm starting to show my age, here - that I'm quite tempted by the visit to Winkworth Arboretum!

Comment

Don't be too hasty, the menu at Madhuban 2 Go looks pretty tasty.

Comment

Working...
                                              X