As no longer seen on TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As no longer seen on TV

I seem to remember Spearmint Rhino had a similar opinion. Wish I could find the thread - not sure if it was here or on OTF.

Comment

As no longer seen on TV

Meanwhile, the fourth estate report on what is, at heart, a very private tragedy -

https://twitter.com/jimfieldsmith/status/723073139815645184

"Bile-chundering apes" indeed.

Comment

As no longer seen on TV

Mumpo wrote: I seem to remember Spearmint Rhino had a similar opinion. Wish I could find the thread - not sure if it was here or on OTF.
        This might be the thread. Spearmint Rhino was very wrong, of course.
        http://www.wsc.co.uk/forum-index/30-film-tv/21913-creature-comforts?limit=20&start=40

Comment

As no longer seen on TV

Great thread.

In one respect, Victoria Wood's shows were the inverse of those made by Dave Allen - the stand-up was a bit mediocre but the sketches were usually ace.

Comment

As no longer seen on TV

Careful, people, if you're a member of the "she was never funny" brigade.

It makes you a fellow traveller of this man -

https://twitter.com/SunApology/status/723407309930516480

Comment

As no longer seen on TV

It really doesn't.
              It's simply a matter of personal taste.

Comment

As no longer seen on TV

But 'she was never funny' doesn't mean anything, does it? Not if several million people found her so.

The correct expression is, of course: 'I never found her funny, but what the f*** would I know?'

Comment

As no longer seen on TV

I don't imagine there is any comedian that everyone finds funny, is there?
                  Victoria Wood's hit rate amongst people who know her work would be abnormally high even amongst professional comics, I suspect. She was damn good at her job, basically.

Comment

As no longer seen on TV

I do know, you know.

If I said I thought some of it was funny, some of it less so, and some of it not funny at all; would that condemn me to one of the outer circles of Hell?

But I don't think you can get away from the fact the woman had genuine talent and genuine warmth, and it's a sad loss to the entertainment industry that she's passed.

Comment

As no longer seen on TV

Disco Child Ballads wrote:
                      Originally posted by Mumpo
                      I seem to remember Spearmint Rhino had a similar opinion. Wish I could find the thread - not sure if it was here or on OTF.
                      This might be the thread. Spearmint Rhino was very wrong, of course.
                      http://www.wsc.co.uk/forum-index/30-film-tv/21913-creature-comforts?limit=20&start=40
                      evilC was saying she's shit on that thread too, though we can all change our minds on art, obviously.

Wood, like French & Saunders, seemed to slip past me even at the height of their ubiquity in the eighties. I can't remember even seeing their shows let alone forming an opinion on them.

Maybe a touch of unconscious teen chauvinism about women in comedy, I like a lot of what I've seen since.

Comment

As no longer seen on TV

Jah Womble wrote: But 'she was never funny' doesn't mean anything, does it? Not if several million people found her so.

The correct expression is, of course: 'I never found her funny, but what the f*** would I know?'
                        It means something to me in that I never found Her remotely amusing, but then I'm only speaking for myself, that's pretty obvious, isn't it?
                        People kept buying that god-awful Brian Adams song even though it'd been at No. 1 for a decade, so, y'know, what the fuck do other people know?

Comment

As no longer seen on TV

I didn't find Benny Hill generally funny, but I think Ernie is almost a work of genius.

A lot of VWood's stuff I didn't find that funny, but The Ballad of ... I think is utterly brilliant. A good few jokes and lines and sketches, too.

Speaking for myself, obvs.

There's not really a comparison, just the point that you can like some of their stuff and not other.

Comment

As no longer seen on TV

That's pretty much where I'm at with her work: some of the observations left me a little cold*, then again many didn't. I enjoyed her work with Julie Walters, but could take or leave Dinnerladies.

But she was a mighty fine writer, and I always appreciate that. (Plus she was streets ahead of pretenders like French and Saunders.)

(*Her line about eating sandwiches on the A597 seems to have been doing the rounds since her passing - which really isn't anywhere close to her best material.)

Calvert: Obviously I was being flippant, however I stand by the (Mrs) overall point. Viz Bryan Adams, well, I'm no fan of his either, but a more direct parallel would be someone saying something like 'he can't sing' or 'has no talent'. Which also ultimately doesn't mean a great deal: I mean, I certainly never accepted that when my parents said similar about artists that I did like.

Comment

As no longer seen on TV

And indeed had I said she was talentless you might have a point.
                              Clearly not the case, even with Bryan Adams, but not my thing at all.
                              Not funny. Not remotely funny. Ever.

Comment

As no longer seen on TV

Yes, but some folk...oh, never mind.

Comment

As no longer seen on TV

Yeah.

Comment

As no longer seen on TV

I think the acting in her peak 1980s series is on a higher plane than French & Saunders or AbFab, where everything is rather shouty. Julie Walters, Duncan Preston, Celia Imrie: an impressive ensemble.

The bitchy continuity announcers were probably my favourite.

Comment

As no longer seen on TV

Apparently the Times obituary mentions her weight 12 times - 6 times directly, the rest obliquely with reference to her eating habits etc.

Keep dieting, girls, you don't want to be seen in a plus-size coffin!

Comment

As no longer seen on TV

The Telegraph takes a similar approach.

Comment

Working...
                                        X