Panama Papers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It isn’t naïveté, but its opposite.

You wouldn’t go to them for tax evasion advice (nor would I).

Comment

Missed it a week ago but the Cayman Islands has finally committed to introducing a public beneficial ownership register. Not until 2023, mind.

Comment

Will still be far ahead of Delaware and other US states, I expect.

Comment

It still boggles my mind that private US companies don't even have to file public accounts.

Comment

Why do you hate Freedom?

Comment

New Soderberg film on Netflix about Mossack Fonsecaz sort of. It’s interesting. Not what I expected.

Comment

That's the one that they tried to enjoin from being broadcast.

Unsuccessfully.

Comment

I saw it in the cinema. Generally funny, and biting where necessary, but a couple of bum notes. I said to Ms F that it would’ve worked better as a Michael Moore-style tv show

Comment

So now it's the Pandora Papers. Except it's no longer a slow news day (year) so a huge story from 2016 might not get the same headlines in 2021. Sequels rarely do.

I'm trying to recall if there was any substantive change 5 years ago. There wasn't much in our little corner of the world, a year later the election campaign coverage barely mentioned it. On the bigger stage, 7 months after the Panama Papers a known tax-dodger entered the White House.

Comment

I'm curious to see what tack Mr Blair is going to take

Comment

This is such a weird table.

Comment

True

Comment

You're going to have to explain to me why it's weird.

Comment

Because it seems to imply that the volume of data is the key thing, rather than what the data actually is

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                I'm curious to see what tack Mr Blair is going to take
                                Ms Booth has already replied, hasn't she?

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                  Because it seems to imply that the volume of data is the key thing, rather than what the data actually is
                                  Exactly.

Comment

Is the avoidance of stamp tax on the Mayfair office purchase all that there is on the Blairs?

Because that is quite weak beer by the standards of such people.

Comment

It's the only thing I've seen reported. I don't know how much lead time the journalists had though, to so it's possible there could be more. Amersi seems to be the biggest UK news so far. Though "Tory donor is dodgy" doesn't really seem like news.

Comment

I have done some work for/with the ICIJ.

My guess is that the teams had several weeks to work with the data, but the volume is so vast that they will have relied a great deal or name and key word searches.

Comment

https://twitter.com/BCAppelbaum/status/1444837573310955523?s=20

A corollary to this is that the USians who get done for tax evasion are virtually always truly odious individuals

Comment

Why avoid tax when there are ways you can pay none anyway?

Comment

For some, everything is not enough

Comment

The relative normalisation of that view, which was once largely reserved for sociopaths, has a great deal to do with the current state of the developed world.

Comment

The Italian member of the consortium has discovered that both Mancini and Vialli show up as being the owners of BVI companies. Mancini's appears to own a plane or interest in one; the purpose of Vialli's is unclear.

Comment

Seems like the pandora papers have claimed their first victim

https://twitter.com/VALERIEin140/status/1447210622526148610

Comment

Working...
                                                    X