Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's an honour just to be denominated ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
    It's much quicker to pay in a pub with cards, I find, and I'm quite happy to put extremely small payments on my card, sometimes less than £1.
    It is. But I like to have some idea of how much I've spent in any day, and that's easier using cash.

Comment

Quite.

Comment

Fair enough. I don't spend a lot of money but I usually ask for receipts when I do. I could also check via online banking or simply tot it up in my head.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
          It's quite normal to use 50 euro notes in Spain.
          I've noticed the same elsewhere in mainland Europe. The first time I used a cash machine in Austria I asked for 100 Euros and was surprised to be presented with a single note. I couldn't get rid if it quickly enough but quickly found it was quite normal.

Comment

At fairs, a typical split is 70/30 cash to card. We have a minimum card spend of £5 but generally £15 or less is cash.

Comment

As I've mentioned before (probably on this thread), a large majority of the 200 euro notes I've seen in circulation have been used by shoppers ahead of me at Italian supermarkets, and it isn't at all unusual to see people in banks withdrawing several thousand euro in 500s, 200s and 100s.

See also Switzerland, where ATMs dispense 200 franc notes as a matter of course.

There is an element of tax evasion in all of this, but it has also become ingrained in the Italian psyche in a way that is certainly not the case in the UK.

The situation in this country is more complex. NYC is still quite cash-friendly among people over 30, and ATMs regularly distribute 100s.

Comment

Originally posted by Capybara View Post
                It is. But I like to have some idea of how much I've spent in any day, and that's easier using cash.
                My banking app is pretty straightforward for tracking my expenditure. That might depend which bank you're with though.

Comment

Oh, I'm perfectly prepared to admit that there's a bit of it's-worked-for-40-odd-years-and-I-don't-see-any-reason-to-change about it. But I don't have a smartphone and logging in to my bank account every day is a bit too much of a faff, really. But then so is finding a cash machine when I'm short.
                  Last edited by Capybara; 18-05-2019, 09:34.

Comment

I once had an Australian chap come up to me in work asking to change a €500 note, he was in Europe for a month and before he travelled he shopped around for currency exchange, one of the banks was far better than the rest so he went with them and a few days later his cash arrived,four €500 notes!

Comment

Oh no. Mind you, I didn't realise that there were €500 notes. That's nuts.

A Tunisian work colleague came over with a shopping list from his wife and a roll of £50 notes from a bank in Tunis, which was bad enough, but most of the notes were old ones and no longer legal tender. He managed to change them easily enough though. I think.

Comment

All of the Euro countries except Austria and Germany stopped circulating them in January; those two countries stopped three weeks ago.

Though the ones in circulation remain legal tender.

Comment

Dutch to push for removal of EUR 500 notes. Sounds like they're not going to do it unilaterally like Denmark though, presumably because they're in the Eurozone.

Comment

New £50 to have the face of: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48962557

Comment

Anyone obtained (or seen) a Turner 20 yet?

Comment

Anyone got a Turner yet?

Comment

What????

Comment

Brothers from another mother, GO

Comment

Got two today, spent one.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                                        Given the timing of its issue, I guess there's loads of people who haven't even seen one yet.

Comment

Thatʼs your cue, Cllr Brexit:

“WELL I FOR ONE WONʼT BE SPENDING ANY PF THEM OR ACCEPTING THEM IN CHANGE”

Gandhi to feature on UK coin -

https://www.indiatvnews.com/news/wor...truggle-639004

Comment

No new 2p or ?2 coins to be made for 10 years

Behind the headline there is a bit of discussion about the wider decline of cash, and how Covid has accelerated it. I think I've been to a cashpoint once since March, and unless things get back to normal sooner than expected I can probably get past Christmas without needing to visit another.

Comment

I'd be a little surprised if they ever made 2p coins again. Wouldn't be surprised if 1p and 2p coins were phased out entirely within five years.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
                                                I'd be a little surprised if they ever made 2p coins again. Wouldn't be surprised if 1p and 2p coins were phased out entirely within five years.
                                                Philip Hammond tried to do that a couple of years ago, but yes can see that idea coming round again soon.

Meanwhile, and I should know better - I clicked on the "below the line" comments on that BBC article and discovered that there are people out there who apparently genuinely think that when the monarch dies they recall all the coins, melt them down and re-issue them.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
                                                  No new 2p or ?2 coins to be made for 10 years

Behind the headline there is a bit of discussion about the wider decline of cash, and how Covid has accelerated it. I think I've been to a cashpoint once since March, and unless things get back to normal sooner than expected I can probably get past Christmas without needing to visit another.
                                                  Covid is definitely a factor in this. Until March I was pretty much a cash only person, whereas since then I think I've visited the cashpoint twice, and that's only because one of my pubs doesn't accept cards.

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post

Covid is definitely a factor in this. Until March I was pretty much a cash only person, whereas since then I think I've visited the cashpoint twice, and that's only because one of my pubs doesn't accept cards.
                                                    Absolutely. There's a discussion upthread somewhere where I said that I used cash almost all of the time for anything costing less than a tenner. I've used cash precisely twice since lockdown started, once for a haircut because the barber still hadn't got a card machine, and once for a newspaper when I happened to have the correct change on me.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X