Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's an honour just to be denominated ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are international awards for everything, an occasional series ...

Bank note (bill) of the year.

Trinidad and Tobago, your time is up. Edmund Hillary will knock the bastard off.

I collect bank notes, some of the nicest ones are the African bills from the post-colonial era, great color palette.

The Kiwi bill does look nice, I assume it's plastic?

Comment

Polymer. Click on the notes for all the details one could want.

I have a bunch of very old ones from China, Nepal, Vietnam etc, on the flimsiest paper. Something worthless to include in my will.

Comment

This new Djibouti bill has that African color scheme I was referring to:

Award-winning entry from the Faeroe:

The font side reminds me of that Hiroshige print with the falcon on top:

The 100,000 Kip note from Laos has classic good looks:

from Samoa, on the loud side:

love this bill from Nepal, classic good looks, great balance with the beautiful mountain and rhododendron bouquet and nice flow of colors, I'm definitely adding this one to my collection:

The 5 pound bill from Scotland is a hoot, Nicklaus tribute complete with the golden bear logo:

Comment

Those are terrific, with the obvious exception of the Nicklaus monstrosity.

I genuinely wish that the Eurozone had taken the same approach to notes as tit did with coins. We have lost a lot of unique heritage in the transition,

Comment

tee rex wrote: Polymer. Click on the notes for all the details one could want.

I have a bunch of very old ones from China, Nepal, Vietnam etc, on the flimsiest paper. Something worthless to include in my will.
            Mao and Ho Chi Minh bills? I've got these, from pre-war China and Vietnam, sitting framed just above me now:

I guess the new Nepal bill is an update of the previous one:

Agree on the EU bills, Ursus.

Comment

Lovely selection there. What's the artistic portrait format one between the Faeroes and Laos?

Of this year's nominations it's got to be the Tongan 50 Pa'anga, simply for the magnificence of the bloke on it.

Comment

That was a Hiroshige vintage woodblock print, The Falcon, one of my favorites of his.

Comment

Sits wrote:
                  Of this year's nominations it's got to be the Tongan 50 Pa'anga, simply for the magnificence of the bloke on it.
                  That, and the A o O O Os

Comment

Some interesting new bills:

Psychedelic gaucho, the other side has the Malvinas on:

Upcoming 10-pound Jane Austen notes:

Ugandan silverbacks:

Norway's tribute to its naval heritage:

New US$50 note, artistic license:

Comment

Vintage Francs:

Swiss 100s:

France, 1960, Hugo:

anciens Francs, 1950s:

vintage African Francs CFA, some definite colonial themes there, with the colorful mid-century french style:

earlier:

Orientaliste Algerian note:

and post-colonial note, with arabic fonts:

Polynésie Française:

Comment

Thanks for sharing those Linus. Fascinating.

Comment

that Faroe bank note is just showing off.

Comment

Well I'll applaud the thread title if no-one else will.

I liked these Swedish conceptual designs from a few years ago:

Comment

I have one of these pinned up in the kitchen, which I got when I was there. Note the unusual denomination

Comment

I love that US dollar design. Who did it?

Comment

Geoffrey de Ste. Croix wrote: I have one of these pinned up in the kitchen, which I got when I was there. Note the unusual denomination

Great thread and thanks for the images linus.

but this one is magnificent in so many ways. THREE dollars? I think it's the banknote I've seen with a naked bird surfing on a shark, I'll say that. And it begs the question what on earth were you doing in the Cook Islands Geoffrey?

Comment

Money's great.

Comment

In the late 1970s, my mate's big brother got Paul Weller's autograph on a one-pound note. It was his pride and joy.

One day, it went missing. The prime suspect was the little sister, who allegedly used it to buy a load of ice cream from the ice-cream van. He didn't forgive her for years, and probably never has.

Comment

Great thread - thank you, linus and everyone.

Comment

seand wrote:
                                          Originally posted by Geoffrey de Ste. Croix
                                          I have one of these pinned up in the kitchen, which I got when I was there. Note the unusual denomination

Great thread and thanks for the images linus.

but this one is magnificent in so many ways. THREE dollars? I think it's the banknote I've seen with a naked bird surfing on a shark, I'll say that. And it begs the question what on earth were you doing in the Cook Islands Geoffrey?
                                          My wife and I worked in New Zealand a long time ago. For our wedding anniversary we decided to go. The Cooks sounded more mysterious than Fiji or Tonga. It didn't disappoint. We stayed mostly on the main island of Rarotonga but spent a couple of days on the atoll of Aitutaki which is quite simply the most stunning place I have ever been to on the planet.

I wanted to go to Suwarrow, the furthest flung island and reputed to be the inspiration for Treasure Island. I really did quite fancy following in the footsteps of a trembling, hacking, consumption ridden Robert Louis Stevenson but alas, it is so remote you can only get there on the occasional supply ship.

My Cook Islands driving licence which you had to apply for (nominal sum of 10 dollars) to ride a moped is my favourite document I possess.

Comment

Visual evidence of the rich heritage we lost with the Euro

Not just the quality of the engraving, but also the insight into history (in this case German). The figures on these notes are from engravings/paintings by Durer, Cranach, Durer and Beham.

Though the most graphically interesting German currency ever issued was the Notgeld (emergency currency) issued by municipalities beginning during WWII and continuing through Weimar hyperinflation

The range of designs is literally staggering

Comment

The design for the new $100 bill clearly recognizes it has virtually no use in the modern world outside of Las Vegas.

Comment

Comment

And in fact, is the UK 50 going to be nearly square? One of the (few) better things about US currency is that it doesn't necessitate a wallet the size of a small ring binder.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X