Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's an honour just to be denominated ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The execution here has just been abysmal

Comment

A quiet news day at "Tree-hugger Towers"...

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/new-5-pound-note-animal-fat-petition-fiver-not-vegetarian-friendly-tallow-a7445646.html%3Famp

Comment

In the last half-hour, I've just received in change my first new pound, and (what will probably be) my last paper fiver...

Comment

Gangster Octopus wrote: In the last half-hour, I've just received in change my first new pound, and (what will probably be) my last paper fiver...
          Cloth

Comment

I'd had none of the new pound coins until yesterday, when I got four. They looked so shiny you'd think they were bad fakes.

Comment

I got my first one yesterday in change from the bar at the Ruislip Social Club but almost immediately squandered it on one of the extensive portfolio of low level gambling opportunities offered by Wealdstone FC.

Comment

Crusoe wrote: I'd had none of the new pound coins until yesterday, when I got four. They looked so shiny you'd think they were bad fakes.
                Are they bigger than the old ones? Things look more real when they're bigger.

Comment

Sam wrote: Are they bigger than the old ones? Things look more real when they're bigger.
                  Very slightly - perhaps a bigger contributor to the difficulties with supermarket trolleys and vending machines than even the fact they're not round anymore.

My gripe with the three I've had so far is that they all seem to have been badly minted - noticeably uneven edges and the lenticular "£/1" underneath the Queen's head doesn't seem to work at all.

Comment

Yeah, very slightly bigger as 3CR says, but not so obviously that you'd notice if you grab a few coins from your pocket. Definitely less impressive than the new fivers.

Comment

After shopping, I now have SEVEN of the bloody things. Any advance on seven?

Comment

I've just received my first, coincidentally from the exact same place as I got my first new fiver.

Comment

Still not got one (although mrs b got one in her change at Costa Coffee on Saturday).

I decided a wee while ago to save a couple of decent old pound coins, but then realised that most of the motifs are shitey royalist nonsense (assorted coats of arms and imperial standards) and most of the worthwhile designs - Darwin, abolition of slavery, bills of rights - are actually on £2 coins instead.

In the end I've kept a half-decent Forth Bridge pound coin and that's probably going to be my lot.

Comment

Unlike my fiver saga, I've had loads of pound coins already. In fact, I got four of them at once on Friday.

Comment

Not had one yet. If anyone wanted a guide to the reverse designs and edge inscriptions for the outgoing coin - here you go:

http://www.royalmint.com/~/media/PDF/The%20United%20Kingdoms%201%20Coin%20Designs.pdf

Comment

Indeed. Compare and contrast to these:

http://www.royalmint.com/discover/uk-coins/coin-design-and-specifications/two-pound-coin

And it's clear all the funky stuff went on the £2 version.

Comment

I don't think I've ever seen one of those tube ones. I think 95% of them have been the standard 1997-2015 version.

Comment

I've never seen a Brunel one (I'd have kept it) or a DNA double helix (ditto), but I've got the End of Slavery and Charles Dickens coins, and have had Tercentenary, King James Bible, Darwin, London Olympics and two of the three Shakespeare designs in my change over the years.

Comment

Guy Profumo wrote:
                                      Originally posted by Gangster Octopus
                                      In the last half-hour, I've just received in change my first new pound, and (what will probably be) my last paper fiver...
                                      Cloth
                                      Couldn't you put those tags around all of your posts?

Comment

Gangster Octopus wrote:
                                        Originally posted by Guy Profumo
                                        Originally posted by Gangster Octopus
                                        Cloth
                                        Couldn't you put those tags around all of your posts?
                                        Not quite all of them...

Comment

Ha! How was Mr. Medlock on Saturday?

Comment

Gangster Octopus wrote: Ha! How was Mr. Medlock on Saturday?
                                            Both he and his young lady were in fine health and good humour.

Comment

I now have a new pound coin, a mere 3 weeks after they became legal tender. Guessing they weren't rushed out en masse in the same way the new fivers were (I had one of those the day after it came out, and have scarcely seen a paper fiver since).

Much to my surprise, the pound coin's hologram actually works.

Comment

Has anyone yet had a thrupenny-pound that isn't dated 2016?

Comment

I haven't had one of them at all.

Comment

blameless wrote: Guessing they weren't rushed out en masse in the same way the new fivers were.
                                                    It's easier to get old notes out of circulation as the cotton ones only had an average lifespan of about 18 months.

I'd guess that if you counted that far back from the day the old fivers will no longer be legal tender, that'd be about the time the Bank of England would have started printing the polymer ones.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X