Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's an honour just to be denominated ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cashpoints have been doling out fivers for some time now, haven't they?

Wasn't there a push by the Bank to get more of them into circulation?

Comment

Just got one. Woo hoo, space age. Mind you, with Brexit and so on, won't we be going to guinea notes soon or something?

Comment

Guy Profumo wrote: Cashpoints have been doling out fivers for some time now, haven't they?
        Have they? I hadn't noticed. I remember receiving a couple of fivers from a machine in Portsmouth (or it may have been Southsea) in about 2008 when I was at an away match. And once more recently in Middlesbrough. It's happened that infrequently I can remember it.

Comment

Evariste Euler Gauss wrote: Mind you, with Brexit and so on, won't we be going to guinea notes soon or something?
          And white fivers...

Comment

Capybara wrote:
            Originally posted by Guy Profumo
            Have they? I hadn't noticed. I remember receiving a couple of fivers from a machine in Portsmouth (or it may have been Southsea) in about 2008 when I was at an away match. And once more recently in Middlesbrough. It's happened that infrequently I can remember it.
            It's not widespread, but also not uncommon.

You can find machines with a little label on them saying something like "this machine may dispense £5 notes"

Comment

And, lo and behold, I've just been out to get my dinner and got one in my change.It feels a bit like recent WSC magazines. Without falling to bits, obvs.

Comment

Capybara wrote: And, lo and behold, I've just been out to get my dinner and got one in my change.It feels a bit like recent WSC magazines. Without falling to bits, obvs.

Comment

The cashpoints in Canary Wharf have been known to dispense fifties. Which is fucking annoying given the general till-operator's attitude to the big red ones.

Comment

There is a bit of a fancy cashpoint/ATM war going on in New York at the moment, with much larger screens, etc., and JP Morgan Chase has introduced machines that allow you to select what kind of bills you want (from singles through Benjamins).

For those of us who still use reasonable amounts of cash, it's much more useful than the prior standard (which was all 20s)

Comment

I did like the machines in Austria that allow you to pick what notes you get. I know it's more common in europe to pay with 50s but I still feel like I'm being a pain. It's nice to avoid them altogether.

Comment

I know it's more common in europe to pay with 50s
                        It is? I always get complaints when I pay with anything over 10 in Spain.

Comment

Depends on the country in my experience.

Italy, being a cash-intensive society, is very comfortable with large bills. It wasn't unusual to see people using 200s to pay for groceries, and one would occasionally see 500s. Anything over a 50 was much rarer in Germany, while the Swiss are quite comfortable with large denominations (it is common for Cashpoints to dispense 200 Franc notes).

Comment

Anything over a 20 would be frowned upon in France, and a lot of smaller shops don't accept the bigger notes at all (normally starting at 100, but sometimes at 50.)

Comment

I've seen people not give two glances at being handed 50s in both Austria and Germany for quite small purchases.

Ursus' mention of Italy has just reminded me of when I visited the amphitheater in Pozzuoli. I tried to pay the entry with a 20 and the attendant pulled out a draw with very little change, indicating that he wouldn't have enough to give me. When I insisted (not having change on me) he pulled open a second drawer in the till full of coins.

Comment

We had a spate of counterfeit $50 and $100 bills a few years ago. It's well and truly sorted now, but many shops still have their "Sorry, we don't accept $50s / $100s signs" posted. That said, I still use them and they still accept them, but they'd rather you didn't.

Comment

Fussbudget wrote: Anything over a 20 would be frowned upon in France, and a lot of smaller shops don't accept the bigger notes at all (normally starting at 100, but sometimes at 50.)
                                  When we went to Paris we stayed in a flat for the week as it was cheaper to rent a holiday bedsit than it was to get a private room in a hostel. With the deposit and the actual cost of the room it came to about 420 euros or something, but the guy flat out refused to take the 500 my girlfriend offered him (which she'd been given here when she bought her euros). He was nice about it and explained he couldn't take it because he didn't know how to check 500s were real and anyway, afterwards he wouldn't be able to get rid of it, suggested we try changing it at a bank and said he'd come back for the payment the next day.

After going in several banks and being told straight up that they wouldn't change it, my girlfriend got sent to a post office where when she took it out, the girl behind the counter looked around and said in a sort of theatrical whisper, 'You want to buy stamps?'

'No,' my girlfriend replied, 'I want to change this into smaller notes.' So the girl ushered her in close so the boss couldn't hear and explained they weren't allowed to give change, but that if my girlfriend wanted to buy, say, four stamps with a total cost of about 4 euros, then she wasn't allowed to refuse a 500 euro note as payment. So that's what she did, and got 496 euros as change.

I mentioned this at the time and ursus replied with the same anecdote about the little old ladies going grocery shopping with them in Milan.

Levin wrote: Ursus' mention of Italy has just reminded me of when I visited the amphitheater in Pozzuoli. I tried to pay the entry with a 20 and the attendant pulled out a draw with very little change, indicating that he wouldn't have enough to give me. When I insisted (not having change on me) he pulled open a second drawer in the till full of coins.
                                  Yet another post which reveals to me that Argentina and Italy are basically the same country (admittedly if you tried paying for something with a 500 euro note here they really wouldn't have enough change anywhere on the premises to reimburse you, though).

Comment

I'm meltingggg…

Comment

Guy Profumo wrote: I'm meltingggg…
                                      You're gonna end up with kids doing this deliberately to use as keyrings, like we did with crisp packets before they started making them with foil linings.

Comment

I can remember getting free gifts in boxes of Shreddies that made use of that shrinking effect. They were little pictures that you were supposed to colour in before baking.

Comment

Fucking hell, I've just been transported back to Primary 2, haven't thought of those Shreddies baked plastic things in decades.

Comment

Thanks for the corroboration, Lang - photographic evidence of the things is proving hard to come by.

The search hasn't been a complete bust though. Here's the Star Wars transfers with frustratingly hard not to fuck up light sabres:

Comment

Benjm wrote: Thanks for the corroboration, Lang - photographic evidence of the things is proving hard to come by.
                                              Shrinky Dinks. http://www.doyouremember.co.uk/memory/shrinky-dinks

Comment

Thanks, ad hoc!

I'm surprised that they still exist and/or that people pay for them. That said, the manufacturer's product range also includes junior serial killer favourite Duct Tape Party:

Comment

Comment

linus wrote: I collect bank notes, some of the nicest ones are the African bills from the post-colonial era, great color palette.
                                                    Funny you should say that. I've got some West African francs I need rid of.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X