Why can't I read "World" anymore?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For the longest time, it was my forum of choice, rarely dipping into others, certainly not football for a while with Music and TV and films being my next ones and Sports and Books falling way last.

However, I have noticed of late that I can't get into World at all, sometimes not even bothering to check it. It is nothing about the quality of posting in "World" but, I think, that I missed out on a week and found that there were lots of threads that I really wanted to read but they were very long and impenetrable. Of course, as this feeling goes on and I don't get back in, the threads get longer and more impenetrable and I have lost the narrative completely.

Tubby's Gove/Morgan one should be required reading for me as he is doing brilliantly there but there is so much content that I should read including the links that it seems like being at the foot of a mountain looking up. Also, to be blunt, I find the larger state of education so depressing that I can't face it presently. I know, however, that I am going to have to especially when I get back into my Masters but not yet.

Similarly, with all the Trump stuff, I know that my go-to place is the relevant thread on here but, then I see it, and it is "Wooah!" and I rely on the Radio 4 round-ups. A while back I made an effort to sit down with the Syria thread and read it and the accompanying links over a period of two nights as, again, it is the go-to place for info but, again, have lapsed recently.

There's not a lot of positives in any political/world affairs threads at the moment, Bored. So I'm sure you're not alone. We need more threads about how great cats are, or food. When did we last have a food thread?

For what it's worth, I'm preparing salmon fishcakes with dauphinoise potatoes tonight, with a small side of green beans.

Comment

We're eating out tonight, then I'm cooking venison for Mothers Day tomorrow. It's a prepared joint, not the full Errol Flynn under the trees.

Comment

Vegetarian shepherd's pie. We make it with Quorn mince but m'lovely sister in law made one recently with lentils which was awesome so may go for that.

Comment

Making tuna pesto pasta right now. Mrs WOM is laid out on the couch with strep throat, so I'm running the empire.

Comment

Curry rice is being prepared in the kitchen at Furtho Towers while I, er, browse OTF and watch Sgorio.

Comment

tbf, it's a bit poo atm

Comment

You're eating poo?

Comment

Mushroom stroganoff and buttered rice chez blameless today.

Comment

Bloody hell, I love the sound of mushroom stroganoff. I love mushrooms.

Comment

I like the idea of a vegetarian shepherd. If you kept sheep purely for wool not meat, would you still make a living?

Comment

You could make a pile, if not a packet.

Comment

I think that, like cows, sheep kept for wool and sheep kept for meat are different. I could be wrong though.

For a start, cows aren't woolly

Comment

I'm no farmer, but I think I'll try to keep a cow for the leather and not the meat.

Comment

I'm going to keep a cow for the company and moral support.

Comment

Cows are very judgemental. Probably.

Comment

Used to have a cow mate called Noah. He lived in the field next to us so we'd hang out and I'd feed him Aunty Mary's recipe barbecue sauce. He didn't come out to play one day, or the next, or the next, or the one after. Then Sue came round with a bag of steaks for the freezer. It was heartbreaking. Tasty, but heartbreaking.

Sue also had a hermaphrodite goat called Emily.

Comment

With regard to the OP, I feel the same way. The only thread I can really participate in is the Mundane one. I can't (won't) access OTF or social media while I'm working, and I'm several hours behind most of you as well, which makes me very much out of sync with most conversations on here.

Some of the longer threads are hard to follow when they go off-topic for a page or two, so it takes too much time to catch up.

Comment

Luckily, cow stuff isn't time specific anyway

Comment

FF - just dive in and drop a two-line drive-by.

Works for me.

Comment

The hardest thing I find is knowing where I was in a big thread.

There ought to be some mechanism which remembers the last post I read in any given thread, so I can go straight to the first unread post when I next visit.

That would help a lot.

Comment

I use lentils when I make vegetarian shepherds pie. Can't be doing with quorn.

Comment

Kryvbas Gripper Rih wrote: The hardest thing I find is knowing where I was in a big thread.

There ought to be some mechanism which remembers the last post I read in any given thread, so I can go straight to the first unread post when I next visit.

That would help a lot.
                                              I thought we'd established that there was. I can't recall what it was, mind you. I think if you enter the thread a certain way it takes you to the last posted thread from your previous visit.

Comment

TonTon wrote: FF - just dive in and drop a two-line drive-by.

Works for me.
                                                I do that sometimes.

Comment

Kryvbas Gripper Rih wrote: The hardest thing I find is knowing where I was in a big thread.

That would help a lot.
                                                  This.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X