Top speed 156mph

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Top speed 156mph

2000 people have been busted doing over 100 mph on British roads in the past year with one person caught doing 156 mph.

Anyone going to admit ever breaking the ton? Was it worth it?

Top speed 156mph

I can't drive but have been a passenger in a car doing 130+. This was not for short bursts either, this kind of speed was being sustained for 20 minutes or more at a time.

Managed to get from Cornwall back to Wrexham in about four hours.

Comment

Top speed 156mph

I've only been driving since December 2014. I'm that guy sticking religiously to 70 on the motorway while everyone else vanishes past. 100+ can fuck right off.

Comment

Top speed 156mph

I've driven 170kph on the Autobahn on Sunday evenings when I was in a hurry to get home. That comes down to roughly 105mph. Generally, I stick to 80mph as upper limit though.

Comment

Top speed 156mph

In a modern car with ABS and all the safety advancements we've come to take for granted, I don't think tonning it is particularly dangerous if done on a quiet motorway in the early hours and good driving conditions - certainly less dangerous than doing 40 in a busy 30 zone.

I'd far rather sit in a car at very high speed with someone who concentrates on what they're doing than be a passenger at modest speed with someone who's completely inattentive and turning round to look at whoever they're chatting to in the back seat.

Comment

Top speed 156mph

When I was young, reckless, stupid and driving a VW Corrado up a deserted M23 back from my girlfriend's at 2am on a Monday morning I've hit those speeds. it wasn't that I was a speed freak. I just hate travelling and was really impatient.
            These days on the odd occasions when I drive on motorways, I don't go over 75-80. I'm a lot more patient than I used to be.

Comment

Top speed 156mph

I've driven at 100mph a handful of times on quiet motorways, but not for a good few years and I can't imagine I'd do it now. I was a passenger in a car that accelerated to about 120mph on an urban dual carriageway - even now it gives me sweaty palms thinking about it.

Comment

Top speed 156mph

There's very few stretches of the M6 that aren't mile upon mile of 50mph average speed limits, monitored by cameras, at the moment. I swear, once, near Worcester, I actually saw someone in a high viz hacket working in one of them. And through Birmingham it's all 60mph "variable" limits enforced by cameras they hide behind the overhead signs.

Comment

Top speed 156mph

I did 180 km/h (113 mph) for about 30 seconds on an empty autobahn.

It was shit. I don't understand what people get out of it.

Comment

Top speed 156mph

About the same speed as antoine polus in the same situation. I wouldn't say it was shit, but it was pretty noisy in a Rover 200. Stayed that quick for about 5 minutes and then slowed to 90ish for the good of the cars/everyone's ears.

Comment

Top speed 156mph

Some years ago, when travelling home to London from Southampton between 1 and 2 a.m. on a virtually deserted M3, where I could see all 3 lanes of the road empty ahead for what must have been around half a mile, I pushed my car to around 110mph for a few miles. I felt very uncomfortable doing it, as I couldn't get the thoughts out of my head about "what if a tyre blows out?". So I slowed down after a minute or two.

The most terrifyingly, stupidly dangerous excessive speed I've experienced has, unsurprisingly, been in Germany, a country whose motorways are absolutely riddled with moronic, sociopathic, testerone-fuelled entitled scum in powerful cars who race up behind you in the fast lane doing 120mph or so, which is a nightmare if, say, you want to do around 80-85 and have to overtake something doing say 70. I've had a lot of that from other cars, but worst of all was when I was in the car as part of a petrol-cost sharing lift system that was a popular arrangement amongst students when I lived there in the 80s. Fortunately the guy whose flashy Merc I was a passenger in had to drive slowly for most of the Berlin to Hamburg route as it was on GDR territory, but as soon as he crossed into the Bundesrepublik he drove like the moron he obviously was, pattern as per above.

Comment

Top speed 156mph

138mph in a friend's Renault 5 GT Turbo on the motorway between Carlisle and Penrith. I don't know who was shaking more, me or the car.

I have no desire to repeat the experience.

Comment

Top speed 156mph

When I was a young 'un I once had to drive my boss home after some post-work drinks. He asked me to take his car back to work, and he'd get a cab in in the morning. He had a fast Sierra and on the way back I tried to see how fast I could go. I got to 110mph and it was terrifying. Haven't been above 90 since.

Comment

Top speed 156mph

Everyone knows 164mph is the safest speed to drive.

Comment

Top speed 156mph

Third rate Leszno wrote: I'd far rather sit in a car at very high speed with someone who concentrates on what they're doing than be a passenger at modest speed with someone who's completely inattentive and turning round to look at whoever they're chatting to in the back seat.
                              Or better yet, in a car going at modest speed with someone who concentrates on what they're doing.

Comment

Top speed 156mph

yes. Concentrating perfectly on what you're doing will give you a much better perception of just how irretrievably far short you are of having a disaster-avoiding stopping distance gap when something suddenly happens ahead of your fast-moving vehicle.

Comment

Top speed 156mph

120mph on a deserted M1 near Leicester early one Sunday morning. We were about to sell the car and I just wanted to see what it could do. As soon as I hit that speed the realisation of what a blow-out or huge mechanical failure could do, despite the empty road, hit home and I slowed down. My wife got caught for speeding (38 in a 30 zone as she was going to hospital as her Dad had been rushed in) and went to the speed awareness course earlier laet year. The graphic tales and pictures were enough for the both of us to now slow down.

Comment

Top speed 156mph

I now drive like a little old lady on her way to church, but in the early '90s I was offered the chance to take a late-night spin in a Porsche 911 Turbo (roughly an '84/'85).

On a very deserted stretch of 'bypass' highway, I got it up to 136 mph (217 km/h). It was an absolute thrill and I loved every moment of its roughly 30 second duration.

Comment

Top speed 156mph

I'm one of the bastards with the 155mph speed limited BMW. I took it up to 125MPH for a few miles on the Aachen - Cologne autobahn very early on a clear morning last summer, remarkably unremarkable really. Still got overtaken by monster Audi doing 140MPH+, I didn't care for the MPG reading I was getting so backed off again. I'm a very frequent user of the cruise control and generally set it at 77MPH on UK motorways, which equates to about 73MPH on the sat nav. Why bother seemingly wasting money on an apparently over the top car then you may ask? A few reasons:
                                      1. It is over engineered and the systems are very capable, it stops from 70 in about half the highway code distance. It's an XDrive vehicle and it grips and handles better than anything else I've ever driven
                                      2. It is an extremely pleasant way to travel, I always feel relaxed and comfortable which aids concentration. It's ticking over at about 1500rpm at 70MPH
                                      3. It accelerates from 30MPH to 70MPH in under 3 seconds which makes overtaking a lot safer where speed differential counts.
                                      4. It gives me the occasional option of getting out of situations on motorways when caught up with the HGVs that lesser powered cars don't have.
                                      5. It's an excellent tow vehicle, which is important to me.

Comment

Top speed 156mph

Someone mentioned speed seminars, a friend of mine was caught doing 39 in a 30 zone and was sent on one. He was shown all the crash scenes of mangled wreckage etc, then asked why every picture was of a crash scene on a rural road, seeing as he'd been caught on an urban industrial road, straight as a dye, no residential dwellings for over a mile, at 10:30 at night (he was rushing to his girlfriend's house as she was having trouble with her ex's family)? When a straight answer wasn't really forthcoming, he then asked how many people had actually died in the crashes shown to him, and how many of the accidents were attributed to speed alone. He was thrown off the course and given the points, but got them withdrawn on appeal.

I use 10 miles of dual carriageway A road to work and back every day, and know that a steady 70 is safely achievable with a bit of common sense. What I can't abide by is watching people in cars, perfectly capable people in perfectly capable cars as well, mooching along at 50 and forcing larger, slower vehicles into the outside lane (I travel the same road in bus, and often have to overtake cars). I'll always maintain that lack of awareness of your surroundings is the real cause of accidents on the roads, and the authorities will continue to hide behind the argument of 'Speed Kills' because it's easier to take cash from a motorist's pocket this way.

Comment

Top speed 156mph

Hamish! Dougal! wrote: I'll always maintain that lack of awareness of your surroundings is the real cause of accidents on the roads
                                          There is no 'real cause of accidents on the road', there are multiple causes to accidents. The point is, whatever the main cause of an accident, at a higher speed there will be more damage. Going at a reasonable speed and being aware of your surroundings are not mutually exclusive.

People moaning about speed limits on the grounds that it's actually all the bad drivers out there causing accidents always come across as awfully defensive to me; funnily enough, it's always other people who are the bad drivers.

Comment

Top speed 156mph

I did 100 in my Prius. I wanted to see whether they had gone to the trouble of adding the extra display on the electronic speedometer.

It would have been on quiet roads, late at night in the middle of Ohio. Probably on hour 8 of the 12 hour drive to the midwest. I don't particularly care for going fast - typically maintaining a safe speed to get to the destination in a reasonable time. On a 700-odd mile trip that typically involves speeding but not driving in any way unsafely (the limits on those highways vary from 55-75).

Comment

Top speed 156mph

Fussbudget wrote: There is no 'real cause of accidents on the road', there are multiple causes to accidents. The point is, whatever the main cause of an accident, at a higher speed there will be more damage. Going at a reasonable speed and being aware of your surroundings are not mutually exclusive.
                                              No, absolutely agree with that. What does stick in my craw a bit though is that excessive speed is usually singled out as the major cause - I agree that it's a factor that will make the impact worse, but it's no more or less likely to cause an accident than inattentiveness, poor decision making, bad road design or continuing to drive long after you should have had your licence revoked (hello, old people of Southport!).

Comment

Top speed 156mph

I hit 100 once, accidentally almost, in a Scenic when I was around 21. Was going on holiday with some friends and we'd borrowed the MPV from a parent. I think it was something about the high seating position that made the speed seem much lower than it actually was, and I eased off when I realised.

Otherwise, no, and especially not these days, now I have a young family to transport around.

Comment

Top speed 156mph

When I was young(er) and stupid(er) I decided to see what my 1 litre Micra could do. On a quiet motorway with the aid of a hill it got up to about 160KPH/100MPH. It was rattling a bit. I've never pushed another car really. I always drive safely but at times that might be a touch above the 120KPH/75MPH motorway limit in Ireland, when overtaking (or in a rush).

Is this the point in the thread where we start giving out about people sitting in in the right hand lane at 60mph?

Comment

Working...
                                                  X